moving out at 18 (UK)

Options
2»

Replies

• Adynata
    Adynata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I assume seeing as you said you're still at school then you're currently doing your A levels. Will you be going to university? That would likely sort out your problem. It sucks that you would be going to uni with the higher rates, but the benefits have also increased, and if you go to a university in a cheaper area you would have no problems affording it (note this does not equal a bad university, my uni won university of the year twice and it's located in the cheapest area of the country to live in).
  • azQmaster
    azQmaster Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Step into my office and take a seat on that leather couch!
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    im 19 and live with my boyfriend.
    709$- rent
    90$- electricity
    40$- gas
    90$- phone bill
    200+$ food
    35$-internet
    cant afford cable
    cant afford a 2nd car
    cant afford a working car for that matter
    i work 56 hrs a week (counting college) half the time i colaspe by 9pm... its not really enjoyable. i cant even afford clothes let alone food some times... i dont get any assistance because there are people in the world who need it more then me.
    oh and college 10 thousand dollars. not counting books. (700 per semester... so 2800$)
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    im 19 and live with my boyfriend.
    709$- rent
    90$- electricity
    40$- gas
    90$- phone bill
    200+$ food
    35$-internet
    cant afford cable
    cant afford a 2nd car
    cant afford a working car for that matter
    i work 56 hrs a week (counting college) half the time i colaspe by 9pm... its not really enjoyable. i cant even afford clothes let alone food some times... i dont get any assistance because there are people in the world who need it more then me.
    oh and college 10 thousand dollars. not counting books. (700 per semester... so 2800$)

^^^ this. Its really the best option for you.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My husband got no financial help whatsoever from his folks. He worked a full time job at night while going to school. He lived with several roommates in cheap housing. He did what he had to do. He got very little sleep. It took him 8 years to get his degree. But he graduated with a degree in mechanical engineering without any student loan debt. It can be done.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 17 - with a toddler in tow. I had a roommate, worked my *kitten* off, and lived on ramen so I could feed my baby more healthy foods. If I can do it, anybody can. You find a way to make it work.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I hear you could design some websites and apps.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 17 and lived alone. I worked full time and went to college full time at night. I didn't get any help from my parents and did not take out any loans.

I was able to do this because I had marketable work experience and therefore was able to get a decent paying job - because I had awesome skills and worked hard.

:flowerforyou:
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    You could always work for a living. Good luck!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

yeah, it's not that hard. Just sayin'.

• koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    You could always work for a living. Good luck!

Why do that when you can mooch?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Stay in school, say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and drink your python powder.
  • laurad1406
    Options
    yea, you don't make a killing off doing this?
    to all the people that decided to slag me off i actually have a few websites. 2 apps and i help out at a world wide app as well :)
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Get a job,do not live off goverment aid because you know there are people that REALLY need it. Plenty of students work and go to school
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Get a job,do not live off goverment aid because you know there are people that REALLY need it. Plenty of students work and go to school
    ^^This!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    First off, I would not move out unless I was in an abusive situation.

Moving out means growing up that means figuring out how to support yourself. Moving out does not mean figuring out how to sign up for welfare benefits.

If you are set on moving out, I would make sure I had a job and a place to live lined up before I moved out of my parents' house.

Now if you are in an abusive situation, then you are the kind of person that I would fully expect to seek government assistance.

There is always the military.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options

yeah, it's not that hard. Just sayin'.

yeah...just sayin...:laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/353437-props-to-mike
    for anyone who hadn't seen it....:huh:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Stay in school, say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and drink your python powder.

This. Don't forget to sometimes wear your stretchy pants in your room. It's for fun.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Seeing as you have said there is no choice, then as said above try and find a shared house option. You should go to the local council office and register there, it won't do much good in terms of housing but you will get some advice and be given some rented house info that will take a bond payment from your local council instead of a deposit.
    You need to try and find a job for 16 hours or more and then you can claim tax credits which will give you a little extra each week. Do you get EMA? It's not much but you will still be entitled to this, after this course if you were still under level 2 in qualifications you can also get ALG once you are 19 which is the adult version of EMA. Once you have found somewhere, you can claim housing benefit, you won't get it paid in full but you will get some, so it is worth it. As has been said you will also get council tax benefit as students do not have to pay this. Direct.Gov is a good site that can give invaluable advice on benefit entitlements.
    After you have finished this round of study are you planning to go to Uni? If not then I would consider it, you will get maximum loans and grants and will come out the other end able to get a good job and be self-sufficient, (yes you will ahve loans to pay back but not until your income exceeds £21000 per year). If not, then getting full-time work after you finish school will be a must. I left home at 14, ran away then returned to leave again at 16, I was very lucky. It is definitely harder for young people now, so plan it carefully and you will be fine. Also find your local shelter office, they will help and advice on all aspects of this. Remember at 18 you are considered an adult so there will be no extras because you are young. I have worked in this industry for years, if I can help further let me know! Good Luck with everything :)

Read this carefully this is all good advice. You really need to know all your options as there is help out there if you know where to look. Good luck.