Stir Fry

Options
I made a stir fry with veggies and olive oil only. All the entries I have found include a high salt content but I don't add salt. Any thoughts on how to track? I thought maybe tracking it as a garden salad but not sure

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Add the ingredients independently. Stir fry is just some random person's entry, and most use soy sauce, which is very high salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    EternaT wrote: »
    I made a stir fry with veggies and olive oil only. All the entries I have found include a high salt content but I don't add salt. Any thoughts on how to track? I thought maybe tracking it as a garden salad but not sure

You need to use the recipe builder to build your own or just enter everything individually. The entries in the database for "stir fry" are some other random users recipe and you have no idea what they actually put in it. Don't use generic entries.

Also, I wouldn't call that a stir fry. You sautéed vegetables in olive oil. Stir fry origins are Chinese and would typically include a stir fry sauce which is usually high in sodium.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,461 Member
    Options
    Side note- I do very good stir fries with no oil. A good nonstick pan, well pre-heated, gives similar results.

A honey-ginger balsamic vinegar makes an outstanding sauce if you don’t want sodium.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just build a new recipe with the ingredients and no salt. You can save it...then use it again and again. I do this with my soup --because I use low salt.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

You need to use the recipe builder to build your own or just enter everything individually. The entries in the database for "stir fry" are some other random users recipe and you have no idea what they actually put in it. Don't use generic entries.

Also, I wouldn't call that a stir fry. You sautéed vegetables in olive oil. Stir fry origins are Chinese and would typically include a stir fry sauce which is usually high in sodium.

Semantics.

Anytime I fry veggies and meat in a frypan and stir them altogether, I call it a stir-fry.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,922 Member
    Options

Semantics.

Anytime I fry veggies and meat in a frypan and stir them altogether, I call it a stir-fry.

Leave the serious cooking to the people that know. :D
  • paperpudding
    Options
    I didn't know only serious cooks could comment :*:*
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I never mentioned anything about commenting. ;)
  • springlering62
    Options
    I’m never serious when I cook.

Can we get all semantic now?
  • neanderthin
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Most people aren't. Wolfman explained the difference of a Chinese stir fry, which is the topic, and here were are.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    @EternaT : I like the idea of tracking it as a garden salad. Very simple!

For a salad or stir-fry: You really only need to track the starchy vegetables and the sauce (oil and sweet components). And, primarily, just the oil! It can easily eclipse everything else, and that's not a bad thing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Semantics.

Well, words have meaning...the OP was looking up "stir fry" in the database and seemed quite surprised that all of the entries that came up had high sodium levels...because OP didn't make a "stir fry"...OP sautéed vegetables. It's not semantics at all when you're looking something up in a database and what you're looking up isn't remotely the same thing as the dish you actually made.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    IMHO: I'll call chopped vegetables and meats cooked in oil in a hot pan or wok a "stir-fry" regardless of sauce or seasoning. It's an American-English term.

The word Sauté close in meaning although it often involves butter and must be at a somewhat lower heat so you don't burn the butter.

The database is full of all sorts of vague entries. It takes a lot of care to pick a good one for whatever you're eating.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 380 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    I love stir fry dishes, and sushi, but am seriously tracking sodium so I can hopefully get off my blood pressure meds. (It's working!) I love the taste of soy sauce but the sodium content is awful! I found a reasonable substitute that has helped. Not quite the same salty taste I like but works for me. Coconut Aminos sauce. Found in the soy sauce area of grocery stores, Has half the sodium of soy sauce (read the labels!) One brand was only 90 mg of sodium per tsp. I add to my stir fry dish at the end, on my plate so I can control and track the amount. My local grocery stores do not carry the lowest sodium one any more, but I found it on Amazon. Coupled with a low sodium teriyaki sauce, which I plan to try.
    I measure my olive oil and weigh the meat and vegetables, and if I make too much I divide the portion I am eating into the total weight to track. But honestly, the olive oil is the most important to track, many vegetables are so healthy that the more the better!
  • paperpudding
    Options

Semantics.

Well, words have meaning...the OP was looking up "stir fry" in the database and seemed quite surprised that all of the entries that came up had high sodium levels...because OP didn't make a "stir fry"...OP sautéed vegetables. It's not semantics at all when you're looking something up in a database and what you're looking up isn't remotely the same thing as the dish you actually made.

Well, clearly different meaning to different people.

As previous poster and myself both stated.
    By our wordings OP did make a stir fry - things were stirred and fried.,

• springlering62
    Options
    I suggest we change this to small fry to defuse.

Anybody want to share grandkid stories?

😝