How to calculate calories to lose weight

Options
So if I eat 1200 calories I have to burn 1200 calories to get 0 net calories to lose weight?

Best Answers

• R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When you set your goals, MFP will give you a calorie number to meet. Even if you do not exercise, if you meet that calorie allotment, you should lose weight. The calorie allotment is already at a deficit for the stats you entered.

Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    First you get a bomb calorimeter. :#
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So if I eat 1200 calories I have to burn 1200 calories to get 0 net calories to lose weight?

Uhhhh...no. 1200 calories is your weight loss target. You burn calories 24/7. Most of your calorie burn is you merely existing, breathing, heart pumping blood, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Well the short answer is no. You burn calories just laying in bed. As mentioned above, if you laid in bed and didn't move for 24 hours, you'd have a calorie burn which is your BMR. You'd need to just eat your BMR to stay the same weight. ANY OTHER PHYSICAL MOVEMENT burn calories.

So if you say have a BMR of 1500, then you just move around the house or work, plus any extra exercise, you can add an extra 300-800 calories on top of that 1500 calorie burn giving you what's called TDEE or Total daily energy expenditure.
    So say you burn 2300 calories total in a day(TDEE). If you consume 500 calories less a day than that (1800 calories daily) and do that for a week, you should still lose 1lbs a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png