Calorie goal interaction with calories given back from exercise

Options
Hi! I’ve just joined and I’ve seen that the app calculates additional calories based on exercise. My daily goal is 2,080 and currently I’ve basically eaten that throughout the day. However because of my exercise, I now have an additionally 1,000+ left over. Does this mean I should eat more or stick to reaching my goal with a little flexibility. My goal is to lose weight, so what’s the best way to balance this information?

Best Answers

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,682 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    MFP is set up so that you should eat back your exercise calories. As stated above, you can eat back all your exercise calories or only some of them, but if you are working out a significant amount, you definitely should eat some. The difficulty can lie in determining how many calories you are actually burning with exercise. Machines often inflate the burn significantly. Walking or running can be calculated more easily since there are formulae for figuring that out. However, some people burn more and some less, depending on their metabolism so it is a good idea to try to figure out how accurate the numbers are in your particular situation. For me, I burn hot, so I eat back every calorie my watch and MFP give me. I have maintained a 50 lb. weight loss for about 10 years. For others, they may only eat 50% or 75%. What you don't want is to ignore the calories you are burning with exercise. If you eat too little, you risk health consequences, losing muscle, and more difficulty in sustaining your weight loss. If you are starving, you are much more likely to end up binging. That is counter-productive. Fuel your workouts, don't ignore them.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,458 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As noted, the general answer is that MFP is designed with the intent that you should eat the exercise calories. In that context, MFP also expects that your "activity level" setting (in your profile) does not include intentional exercise, but rather reflects daily life activity such as job and home chores.

To personalize advice, we need to know more about you, as Yirara said.

If the 1000 calories is coming from a good tracker sync-ed to MFP, I would suggest eating them, or at least a large fraction. When you have a tracker sync-ed, MFP and the tracker compare what MFP expected you to burn that day with what the tracker saw you as burning. If you were burned more calories than MFP expected, those calories get added to your goal. (In this scenario, it would also be good to turn on the negative calorie adjustment in MFP.)

Trackers can over-estimate, but it's a very personalized estimate, so somewhat more trustworthy than separately logging exercise, for people who are close to average (as most are). Also, the way the reconciliation (tracker to MFP) happens will tend to compensate for an inaccurate MFP activity level setting. (In contrast, if a person sets activity level too high, logs exercise on top of that, they can be double dipping and get too many calories in their goal.)

Further, MFP's exercise database is likely to overestimates some exercises, so without knowing what you're doing, it's hard to comment. Machines can overestimate, too. If we knew what you were doing, for how long and how intensely (pace or subjective feelings), we might be able to give you feedback.

So, we need more details. 2080 is a fairly high calorie goal for a woman (which I'm guessing you are, from your user name). 3080 is very unusually high for a woman, even with a pretty substantial exercise routine . . . but not impossible. If you are quite overweight, have a very active job, and also a substantial exercise schedule, you may lose weight at 3080. We just don't have enough information about you to give you reasonable feedback.

Since 3080 would be an unusually high weight loss calorie goal for a woman, you may get some skepticism or pushback about it . . . but it's possible that it's correct.

Best wishes!

P.S. I ate all of my carefully-estimated exercise calories all through weight loss, and 7+ years of maintaining a healthy weight since. It's a rare thing, but it turned out the MFP underestimated my base calorie needs, so I needed to increase my base goal, then add exercise, to get the right results. Most people won't experience that, but I mention it because it is possible. Once I got that figured out, my weight loss rate was very predictable based on my calorie intake, when I looked at the loss as multi-week average loss rate. (Scale loss will spike up and down randomly with water retentions shifts, so the multi-week trend is what tells the real story.)

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,456 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Yes, you should eat more. However, 1000 calories more gives the impression that something is off.

First of all, MFP works in that it assumes your calorie goal is based on just being alive and your everyday movement without exercise. Exercise is not part of that.

For that reason you're supposed to log exercise and eat back these calories. However, exercise calories are often grossly inflated, and hence it might be a good idea to only eat back a part of this. Because, say your calorie goal is 2080 and you really exercised for 1000 calories each day, then that's the same as only eating 2080-1000 = 1080 calories.

Can you tell us how you meausre these huge calorie burns, and what you do to get them? Your current stats and weightloss goal might also be useful. Thanks a lot.
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I’m not clear if that 2080 daily calorie includes exercise or not. But here is what I do. My daily calorie range is1510. I tend to eat a little under that number but it’s there if I need it on the days I’m hungry. If I exercise and go walking that may burn 350 calories and it is added back into my calories for the day - now increasing my daily calories for that day to 1860. However- I do not eat those calories back. I try to stick with the 1510. That is generally enough and is a good range for me to lose weight. If you are intensely exercising for long periods during the day and are actually burning 1000 calories + per day - I might consider eating some of those back with some lean protein.
    Hope this helps.