Psoriasis and weight loss.

Options
I have read that being very overweight, which I am, can contribute to the severity of your psoriasis. Has anyone experienced some relief after losing weight? I am living in hope.

Best Answers

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    I've heard for years that people's n:1 low carb and ketogenic diets experience their psoriasis improving and for many it goes away completely. also recently a lot of n:1 success on carnivore as well. There is science to back this up as well.

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.jproteome.0c00646

Effect of Very-Low-Calorie Ketogenic Diet on Psoriasis Patients: A Nuclear Magnetic Resonance-Based Metabolomic Study

Psoriasis is an inflammatory disease of the epidermis based on an immunological mechanism involving Langerhans cells and T lymphocytes that produce pro-inflammatory cytokines. Genetic factors, environmental factors, and improper nutrition are considered triggers of the disease. Numerous studies have reported that in a high number of patients, psoriasis is associated with obesity. Excess adipose tissue, typical of obesity, causes a systemic inflammatory status coming from the inflammatory active adipose tissue; therefore, weight reduction is a strategy to fight this pro-inflammatory state. This study aimed to evaluate how a nutritional regimen based on a ketogenic diet influenced the clinical parameters, metabolic profile, and inflammatory state of psoriasis patients. To this end, 30 psoriasis patients were subjected to a ketogenic nutritional regimen and monitored for 4 weeks by evaluating the clinical data, biochemical and clinical parameters, NMR metabolomic profile, and IL-2, IL-1β, TNF-α, IFN-γ, and IL-4 concentrations before and after the nutritional regimen. Our data show that a low-calorie ketogenic diet can be considered a successful strategy and therapeutic option to gain an improvement in psoriasis-related dysmetabolism, with significant correction of the full metabolic and inflammatory status.
  • Jessiegonzales3
    Jessiegonzales3 Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Wow! Never even thought about that. I suffered from psoriasis for roughly 4-5 years. Thinking back that was when I was unhealthy weighing around 260 pounds. Now at 170 pounds I rarely notice any issues with psoriasis.

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I both have moderate psoriasis and neither of us are overweight.... so I don't know that it affects it much.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    Anecdotal - working in a medical surgery, I have not noticed any weight group more or less commonly having psoriasis
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I both have moderate psoriasis and neither of us are overweight.... so I don't know that it affects it much.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10901763/medical-advice/p1
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10901763/medical-advice/p1

I didn't give advice and made no recommendations whatsoever, as per my beliefs. But thanks for stalking my posts, I'm flattered ❤️
  • asp1952
    asp1952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you all.
  • AmandaContalee
    AmandaContalee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did a flush for 5 weeks and have had all eczema symptoms clear up. My flush shakes which I drank twice a day and pill I took had turmeric in it.
  • september192023
    september192023 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Reducing inflammatory food intake (red meat, hyper-processed foods, etc.), reducing stress, and losing weight definitely helped me. The big part is the eating/drinking piece. I flare when I am really stressed out and not eating well.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Reducing inflammatory food intake (red meat, hyper-processed foods, etc.), reducing stress, and losing weight definitely helped me. The big part is the eating/drinking piece. I flare when I am really stressed out and not eating well.

Yeah, red meat on it's own doesn't actually cause inflammation and if it did then studies on a ketogenic diet wouldn't then show reduction in inflammatory markers. Basically what that actually means is when carbohydrates (mostly refined and sugar) are reduced or removed from the diet inflammation is reduced within the body, which we've known for decades and decades. Also red meat isn't any more inflammatory than any other meat. Fortunately it's no longer easy to slip this misinformation/disinformation out there believing it will just get a pass, not everyone buys that ideology anymore which is basically, red meat bad, therefore flog it to death whenever you can.