Back again and feeling hungry

Options
I used MFP and lost a load of weight, 80 lbs, then have put it all back on again in 5 years. I realised I lost weight for the wrong reasons last time, I wanted to be thin, not happy. Now I just want to be healthier and happy.

I've been given 1900 calories which I'm fine with, but I'm feeling hungry! I've eaten plenty protein. I'm just wondering if it's normal to feel hungry at the beginning again when I've been used to having way more.

I know I'm not actually hungry, I've eaten well, I think it's more an I want to eat rather than actual hunger. Is it just something I have to push through for a few days and my body will get used to a normal amount of calories again?

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,986 Member
    Options
    Everyone 's different. Stock up on celery, broccoli, salad greens for a few days? Check out the old volume eaters thread for ideas?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,406 Member
    Options
    It's pretty common for the aura of our old eating habits to hang around for a couple of weeks or so, and feel like hunger/appetite/cravings.

If you're trying to lose faster than 0.5-1% of current weight per week, I'd suggest slowing down. If you're losing at a moderate rate (0.5% or less), then hang in there.

Experimenting more with eating composition (which foods/macros in what proportions) and timing (how many meals/snacks when) might shed some light. If you pay attention to when the perceived hunger is better/worse, you may be able to correlate that with patterns in your eating, exercise, sleep, stress or other relevant factors. If so, that gives you hints about how to adjust to stay happier more often.

If the problem is habit or boredom, act directly on that rather than via food. It's usually easier to break an old undesired habit by substituting a new and better one. If you get crave-y, maybe do some stretching or a walk around the block, have a hot herb tea, do some breathing exercises, or some other distracting thing. If it's boredom, consider a resumed or new distracting hobby. Bonus points if the hobby requires clean hands (sketching, needlework, playing a musical instrument, etc.) or creates dirty ones (gardening, home improvements, painting, etc.).

Do give it a couple of weeks, though . . . and try not to perseverate/ruminate about it.

Someone here once said that overcoming old patterns and creating new habits is like training a puppy: The more we give in, the more likely the behavior will keep happening. The more we are firm in our new habits, the more likely the undesired behavior will wither away.

Best wishes!
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The most important part for me is keeping busy. Anytime I’m tired and just vegging out watching TV- that’s when I want to eat. I try to get a good nights sleep and have a routine to eat. Evenings have generally been my weak time but again, keeping busy, distracted - or having a hot beverage- tea or coffee helps satisfies cravings. You definitely have to push through a bit - especially if your not physically hungry; feed your mind with other thoughts.
  • MovinNow
    MovinNow Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Be sure you are drinking plenty of water. Also, hot tea in the evening seems to help with my cravings for “comfort food”.
    Congratulations for getting back to healthier choices! You can do this!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,588 Member
    Options
    MovinNow wrote: »
    Be sure you are drinking plenty of water. Also, hot tea in the evening seems to help with my cravings for “comfort food”.
    Congratulations for getting back to healthier choices! You can do this!

This^^^

Your body can mistake dehydration for hunger cues. Drink a glass of water and wait ten minutes before eating something.

Hot tea in particular helps me because it takes so long to drink, and requires banging around in the kitchen for a few minutes to heat and steep, which my brain equates to “Ooooh, snack”.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Osiris275 wrote: »
    I used MFP and lost a load of weight, 80 lbs, then have put it all back on again in 5 years. I realised I lost weight for the wrong reasons last time, I wanted to be thin, not happy. Now I just want to be healthier and happy.

I've been given 1900 calories which I'm fine with, but I'm feeling hungry! I've eaten plenty protein. I'm just wondering if it's normal to feel hungry at the beginning again when I've been used to having way more.

I know I'm not actually hungry, I've eaten well, I think it's more an I want to eat rather than actual hunger. Is it just something I have to push through for a few days and my body will get used to a normal amount of calories again?

YOu may be a volume eater. Some people never feel full without the feeling of being full.
    Try adding some high volume, low calorie foods. See if that gives you the 'full feeling'.

Oh and make sure you are drinking enough.

Lastly, are you calculating or eating your exercise calories? If you are doing a lot of steps or exercise, you may need to eat the exercise calories.

L