PCOS? The atypical kind!

Options
Anyone here with PCOS? I was diagnosed years ago, but I'm somewhat atypical because I do not experience insulin resistance (been tested many times) and up until my 40s I was never overweight. Now at 43 it seems like my body has completely gone haywire and all of a sudden I'm putting on weight and having all kind of other issues (elevated cholesterol, high blood pressure) when I've never had an issue before. My doctor says it is likely due to my PCOS and told me I need to lose weight. I work out every day, eat healthy - lots of fruits and veggies and lean meats and few carbs, but the weight doesn't seem to want to come off. I've tried keto and intermittent fasting but both made me feel like absolute garbage. I'm wondering if there's any other ladies with PCOS who have found a plan that works for them?

Replies

• ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Surprisingly weight gain isn’t based on what you eat, it’s based on whether you’re eating in a calorie surplus.

You can eat only veggies and gain weight if you’re in a surplus. You need to be in a deficit, whether it’s twinkies or steak, macros are not changing that fact. A food scale will give you insight on how much you’re eating. Check out YouTube videos on how and why you should consider weighing your food to figure out what you’re actually eating.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    Surprisingly weight gain isn’t based on what you eat, it’s based on whether you’re eating in a calorie surplus.

You can eat only veggies and gain weight if you’re in a surplus. You need to be in a deficit, whether it’s twinkies or steak, macros are not changing that fact. A food scale will give you insight on how much you’re eating. Check out YouTube videos on how and why you should consider weighing your food to figure out what you’re actually eating.

Although I do not have IR, it does make losing weight more difficult.

Insulin is a hormone that regulates how your body absorbs sugar. Insulin also promotes fat storage.
    When you are in insulin resistance, your pancreas keeps cranking out the insulin because your body isn't responding (resistant). The higher levels of insulin cause the body to store more fat. But since the insulin is not lowing the blood sugar like it should, your blood sugar keeps rising.

Weight gain and lead to IR.
    IR can cause weight gain.

The good news is that losing weight can often help reverse IR.
    But just a calorie deficit may not work as well with someone with IR. A person with IR needs a calorie deficit and a diet that helps control IR. They need both.

Consult your doctor for a diet recommendation.

The current literature states the following to lose weight with IR.

What to do:
    1. Do not skip meals. You want to keep your blood sugar from having big highs and lows.
    2. Eat high fiber. General recommendations is 21 to 25 grams of fiber (daily) for women and 30 to 38 grams (daily) for men
    3. Try to limit carbs. When you eat carbs, try to eat ones that are from fresh fruit, vegetables, low-fat dairy, beans, or limited whole grains.
    4. Lean proteins. You want to eat enough protein but try to eat lean protein.
    5. All fats should be healthy fats such as olive, sunflower, and sesame oils.
    6. Exercise

Try to avoid:
    • Processed foods
    • Saturated/Trans fat
    • Any drinks with sweetener added.

THINGS TO CHECK:

Are you eating enough fiber?
    Are you getting some physical activity each day? People with baseline IR often get benefit from exercise.
    IR can also impact your absorption of nutrients and vitamins. Make sure you do not have deficiencies in Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Selenium, Omega 3 or Chromium.

MAYBES
    Some people have had luck with IR and the Mediterranean Diet. However, I highly recommend speaking with your doctor before making major diet changes with a medical condition.

• gabriellemeade1
    gabriellemeade1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have tried the Mediteranean Diet with limited success. My doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but all it did was lead me to feel weak and pass out. I do eat a lot of vegetables, I don't think it's an issue of fiber. I am finding that it seems like I need to eat more protein - I suffer from low iron and am now taking supplements. I also take supplements for a vitamin d deficiency. I work out 5 days per week. Usually whenever I start a new diet plan things go pretty well for week or two, but then I plateau. I also find my weight bounces around a lot- like it can vary about 10-12 lbs depending on what time of day I weigh myself.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    The good news is that losing weight can often help reverse IR.
    But just a calorie deficit may not work as well with someone with IR. A person with IR needs a calorie deficit and a diet that helps control IR. They need both.

This is a good response as it goes into more detail. Nutrition matters for everyone, but this isn’t what I was trying to explain. We can eat all the “right things” and it won’t matter for weight loss if we’re not in a caloric deficit, that’s my main point. I certainly don’t recommend the Twinkie diet lol. But, absolutely agree that macros and nutrition mean different things to different people, and are essential for health and adherence.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thanks. I have tried the Mediteranean Diet with limited success. My doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but all it did was lead me to feel weak and pass out. I do eat a lot of vegetables, I don't think it's an issue of fiber. I am finding that it seems like I need to eat more protein - I suffer from low iron and am now taking supplements. I also take supplements for a vitamin d deficiency. I work out 5 days per week. Usually whenever I start a new diet plan things go pretty well for week or two, but then I plateau.

I also find my weight bounces around a lot- like it can vary about 10-12 lbs depending on what time of day I weigh myself.

Only ever weigh yourself once per day and under identical conditions, for example, first thing in the AM, naked or in the exact same pajamas, after using the bathroom.

It's also helpful to use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have tried the Mediteranean Diet with limited success. My doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but all it did was lead me to feel weak and pass out. I do eat a lot of vegetables, I don't think it's an issue of fiber. I am finding that it seems like I need to eat more protein - I suffer from low iron and am now taking supplements. I also take supplements for a vitamin d deficiency. I work out 5 days per week. Usually whenever I start a new diet plan things go pretty well for week or two, but then I plateau. I also find my weight bounces around a lot- like it can vary about 10-12 lbs depending on what time of day I weigh myself.

If you had fatigue from low iron (I did) it may have affected your NEAT. For example, while you do work out, when not fatigued you may have done more non-intentional activity; moved around more.

See: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss/p1

Additionally, there are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public. In the app, go to Settings > Diary Setting > Diary Sharing > and check Public. Desktop: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have tried the Mediteranean Diet with limited success. My doctor recommended intermittent fasting, but all it did was lead me to feel weak and pass out. I do eat a lot of vegetables, I don't think it's an issue of fiber. I am finding that it seems like I need to eat more protein - I suffer from low iron and am now taking supplements. I also take supplements for a vitamin d deficiency. I work out 5 days per week. Usually whenever I start a new diet plan things go pretty well for week or two, but then I plateau.

I also find my weight bounces around a lot- like it can vary about 10-12 lbs depending on what time of day I weigh myself.

Only ever weigh yourself once per day and under identical conditions, for example, first thing in the AM, naked or in the exact same pajamas, after using the bathroom.

It's also helpful to use a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iphone) or Libra (Android) and focus on the trend, not the individual weigh-ins. I have Happy Scale and use the “Moving Average” as my official weight.

Exactly this, TO. Your weight does not bounce. You eat food which doesn't just vanish once it hits your stomach. You drink fluids that don't all get peed out but might get stored in your legs until later. You might wear different clothes in the course of the day, shoes or not. None of this has anything to do with your bodyfat, and all to do with just normal life.

I mean, you could step on the scale in the morning. Note the weight. Then drink a big glass of water and immediately afterwards weigh again. Et voila: your weight has gone up by the weight of the water. Or step on the scale and note weight. Then have a bowel movement. Step on the scale again. Like magic you lost some weight. Note: some scales store the last weight for a while and will always display the same weight again and again despite some minor changes.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options

A Vitamin D3 deficiency can also cause you not to absorb other vitamins/minerals as well. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to check your other essential vit/mins for deficiency. For example, D3 and Magnesium work together. A low amount of either can cause weight gain, lack of energy, and hair loss. Magnesium also helps regulate blood sugar.
    • As you add more protein, perhaps also add some foods rich in Magnesium and/or iron. It may give the D3 a boost and help it work.

If these items were addressed recently, it may take several weeks to several months for the levels to be at normal long enough for you to see a difference.

I hope you do find the solution. It sounds as though your underlying vitamin/mineral deficiencies may also be contributing to the issue.

This issue may be something to discuss with your doctor in more depth.

• gabriellemeade1
    gabriellemeade1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That is interesting...I'll ask my doctor about magnesium and other possible deficiencies. Thanks!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    Did your doctor do a full thryoid work-up? You can have somewhat normal TSH and still be hypothyroid, which will affect your ability to lose weight. You are at the age where thyroid issues tend to appear.