Chin fat

Options
Anyone have some good tips for losing like my chin fat? I’m tired of looking like I have two, it’s really getting to my self esteem

Answers

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,410 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid you can't decide where your body loses fat. If you're overweight then losing weight overall might be a good idea, but you'll lose bodyfat everywhere as well. Where first depends on genetics. Sod's Law dictates that it's always last there were we really want to. Another thing: Your skin becomes more saggy with age. Is it really fat or just saggy skin?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight, the chin fat will eventually come off. While you can't spot reduce, a regular exercise program should help you feel better.

Go here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided or More > Goals in app.
    1. Put in your stats.
    2. normal daily activities refers to your job.
    3. Ignore How many times a week do you plan on exercising? - that does not get included in the equation. Log your exercise separately.
    4. Select a rate of loss in line with the chart:
    9kjwnia17qv9.jpg
    The resulting calories is your daily calorie budget. It's normal to go a little over or under, but since weight loss is already included in these calories, you don't want to intentionally go hundreds of calories under.

See also: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    Yup, unfortunately spot reduction doesn't work. I used to have some extra chin going on, and it eventually melted away as I lost weight. It's been so long ago (like 8 years) that I don't recall exactly when it happened during loss, but I'm thinking it might have started relatively early, because there were early changes in my face's appearance in other ways. Not sure, though.

I probably have some loose skin there, but it's not very bad, even though I'm pretty old (68 now, 59 when I started losing).

Anecdotally, I've noticed in myself and friends that working up to a schedule of fairly intense regular exercise seems to slim out the face particularly well. Athletes tend to have lean faces. My face was slimmer when I was obese, I think, than non-athletic women of similar height/weight, and slimmer than it had been before I became athletically active. (Yes, I was training pretty hard/regularly, even competing, while staying obese.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    A good friend (female) had what you could refer to as a genetic situation regarding her chin and nothing really could be done until she paid someone to remove it. She does look totally different and it has really effected her overall mood and personality for the better.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Continue to lose weight. Most likely the chin-chin as I refer to mine will disappear on it's own.

If it does not or becomes the dreaded waddle, you could save up and have it removed. It's outpatient and it heals fairly fast. Lipo/surgical options start at $1,200 and go up. Yeah, it can get up there--it all depends on many factors.

It's a small thing, but if it makes you feel good, it's worth it.
    • But right now, I'd wait and see.
    • It'll probably leave on its own.

Lou
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I have two things to contribute. If you are overweight. Lose your weight and see if that does the trick. Don't despair until you lose all your weight.. and you still have two chins. Then.. the good news is.. there are easy non invasive procedures that get rid of double chins. Just research any skin clinic in your area.

Right now. .i'm in a similar boat.. with a thing or two about my face i don't like. But i will lose my weight and see it that fixes what bothers me.. it has in the past..
  • tamlady
    tamlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    there are neck and face exercises that can be helpful. I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago and it affected my swallowing. I started doing some exercises to improve my ability to swallow correctly again and my neck and chin area tightened up quite a bit. I've continued these daily. I got my information by research on Google.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    tamlady wrote: »
    there are neck and face exercises that can be helpful. I had my thyroid removed 4 years ago and it affected my swallowing. I started doing some exercises to improve my ability to swallow correctly again and my neck and chin area tightened up quite a bit. I've continued these daily. I got my information by research on Google.
    You CAN'T affect fat loss by directly exercising an area.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I lost a couple chins with substantial weight loss.

I ended up with a large wattle.

But doggone if I just didn’t look at it in the mirror for the first time in months and discovered it’s gone.

I’d chalk it up to neck exercises in Pilates or a very specific “neck tightener” I was taught by a yoga instructor, but, nah, it was weight loss.

Now there’s an unexpected win in maintenance. Yay!!! I feel like tossing my head merrily at someone, and not feeling layers of wattle go with the flow.

That made me snort out loud 🤣 great use of the word wattle!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    our bodies decides how and where to lose fat - we don't get a say, unfortunately.

the first time i lost weight, i lost it first in the face, under chin and belly. this time, it seems like those are the last places to go, although i've lost at least one underchin by now.
  • Dr_Axe
    Dr_Axe Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    While spot reduction of fat doesn't work. Toning the muscle under the fat. In the right way. Can make the fat appear reduced. My old water aerobics instructor always had us. Raise your chin as high as you comfortably can. Then press your tongue against the roof of your mouth hard. And hold for about thirty seconds. Or until it cramps. Repeat a couple times a day. Worked good for me.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,484 Member
    Options
    Our yoga one wasn’t for chins in particular but it’s a neat exercise.

Look down
    Put your palms flat on the breastbone (area between your collarbones)
    Press and pull the skin downwards
    At the same time, now tilt your chin upwards

It pulls the skin on your neck taut and is a great stretch for an area that’s seldom attended to.

Another favorite, which has nothing to do with this and which no one ever offers any more (😢) is to spend the first five minutes of class giving yourself a massage. Start by massaging toes, feet, ankles, shin, knees thighs, hips, then work from fingers inward, shoulders neck, and then do the other side.

Sounds stupidly simple but OMG, leaves me in a brief stupor every time.
  • tamlady
    tamlady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Im not new to physical fitness but I am new to myfitnesspal. I posted here the other day in response to chin fat and was rudely reproved by another member. I suggested neck exercise could help .It was for toning, not spot reduction. Isn't it true that toning of any muscle will improve appearance? I assume this forum is here to ask and receive advice based on our personal experiences. I'd like to know if being rudely approved is a common and accepted practice on myfitnesspal ? If so, I'll be canceling at the end of my free 30 days and look for another. I realize that there are power hungry Know-It-Alls everywhere, but I am very disappointed to have experienced one with the first comment that I entered.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Our yoga one wasn’t for chins in particular but it’s a neat exercise.

Look down
    Put your palms flat on the breastbone (area between your collarbones)
    Press and pull the skin downwards
    At the same time, now tilt your chin upwards

It pulls the skin on your neck taut and is a great stretch for an area that’s seldom attended to.

Another favorite, which has nothing to do with this and which no one ever offers any more (😢) is to spend the first five minutes of class giving yourself a massage. Start by massaging toes, feet, ankles, shin, knees thighs, hips, then work from fingers inward, shoulders neck, and then do the other side.

Sounds stupidly simple but OMG, leaves me in a brief stupor every time.

Yes...' face pilates' works. I found just doing daily pilates/yoga lengthens all limbs and tightens all those 'spots'.
    I've read that with all of us now constantly looking down at our devices throughout the day weakens muscles in the neck and chin area. Bad posture doesn't help either.
  • shel80kg
    shel80kg Posts: 148 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hey Milo,
    I have been on this platform on and off for years and have been "confronted" by the "regular" responders who dedicate their own time to consider what we are worrying about and perplexed by , and offer wisdom, direction and at times their own personal experiences. I have always found them respectful and considered in their comments. Healthy discussions and honest questions regarding our patterns of behaviour and struggles with weight loss make sense to me. So,, we may need to take it on the "chin" so to speak and not take ourselves too seriously while we all work together to achieve great outcomes. So... chin up and good luck with your challenge.