Always over my allotted fat macros

I am always over my allotted fat macros. If i eat the fat macros it boosts my protein macros but makes my fat macros over. What are some of the things you eat/sub to stay at or slightly under your fat macros but not taking away from the protein macros?

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,774 Member
    edited November 2023
    Why do you care about fat macros?

I've only ever tracked calories (for weight loss) and protein (grams total for daily targets, for muscle).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,773 Member
    Are you able to stay within your calorie goal even when your fat macro goes over? If so, I'd say don't worry about it.

Both protein and fats contain "essential nutrients" in the sense that our bodies can't manufacture them out of any other intake, so we need to eat a certain minimum of them. Nutritionally, carbs are more flexible. It's calories that are the direct determinant of body fat gain/loss.

Many of us (me included) think of protein and fat macro goals as minimums to meet or exceed. Quite a few people (not including me) find that they get enough fat without paying it a lot of attention, but need to make sure they get at least adequate protein.

Since carbs are more flexible, it's fine to use those to balance calorie level to whatever the fat/protein intake requires. Some people find that eating too few carbs tanks their energy level, so they may need to make sure they get a certain minimum. Other people find that carbs spike their appetite, so they do best if they eat fewer of them. Unless you have some need like that, you can let your fat be higher and carbs lower, if that helps you meet calorie goal.

If you'd like to identify protein sources with less fat, this would be a good resource:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also

It links to a spreadsheet that lists many, many foods in order by most protein for fewest calories. More protein in fewer calories inherently means things that tend to be lower in fat and higher in protein, since fat is calorie dense.

Best wishes!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,152 Member
    What do your macro's look like? It's not uncommon that people feel the lower the fat the better, so just asking.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,488 Member
    I dont think I've ever been under my fat goal. But I'm still trying. Maybe some day I'll be able to answer.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Raise your fat goals and lower your carbs to what you usually eat. Problem solved!
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 1,109 Member
    I don't even look at the macro stuff. I just focus on CICO for maintenance...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As long as you're hitting your calories, it doesn't really matter that you're over or under any particular macro. There's nothing magical about MFP's default macros. People customize them all of the time to meet their individual goals. For example, someone doing keto is going to have a much different macro ratio than the typical vegan. A bodybuilder is going to have a different macro ratio than a marathon runner or other endurance athlete, etc.
  • maniacmcgee27
    maniacmcgee27 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks everyone for your replies