Non-scale minor frustrations

Options
I'm a bit of an optimist and have plenty of storage space, so I've kept all the clothes I outgrew over the years. I also bought my favorite t-shirts in the next sizes down. It was such a boost pulling out all new shirts the last time my size dropped.

Current frustration: I really thought I was ready to fit into the next size, but still look like a sausage even though my current shirts are starting to look like tents. I do think another 5 - 10 lbs will make the difference, so I'm going to get them washed and into the dresser.

Just needed to vent, but would love to hear about anything you dealt with.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just having to buy all-new clothes in the long run was one of my biggest frustrations with weight loss.

I don't like clothes shopping at all, I don't like spending money on clothes, and I needed everything new from the underwear on out. My socks and most shoes still fit. Some jewelry didn't fit, even - bracelets fell off, ring finger ring size went from around 13 to around 10. Ugh.

On the plus side, it's one of the things that helps keep me from regaining very much. If my weight creeps up and my jeans get a little snug, the horror of shopping looms large, and I cut back again.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is easy to default to the negative. the point is.. you have clothes to get into... and you are losing weight. You are moving forward, and that's a success and should propell you forward. I dare to say, that anyone lost their weight as fast as they wished, predicted. But it does and will happen. ..and i agree with you.. i think in 10 pounds you'll be down a size.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Honestly, just having to buy all-new clothes in the long run was one of my biggest frustrations with weight loss.

I don't like clothes shopping at all, I don't like spending money on clothes, and I needed everything new from the underwear on out. My socks and most shoes still fit. Some jewelry didn't fit, even - bracelets fell off, ring finger ring size went from around 13 to around 10. Ugh.

On the plus side, it's one of the things that helps keep me from regaining very much. If my weight creeps up and my jeans get a little snug, the horror of shopping looms large, and I cut back again.

I bought thrift store/Goodwill jeans. Inexpensive pants. I would then go to the men's section of Walmart or thrift and buy 2 t-shirts. I also picked up some stretch cotton leggings at Walmart. The leggings will still fit 2 sizes down, sometimes three. Two pairs of thrift jeans--$10 (also check out clearance. I would get 2 men's t-shirts at thrift or Walmart for about $10.00. The leggings are $5.99 each. So 2 pairs are $12. So I would get a wearable wardrobe for about $42 dollars. The oversized sweatshirts and sweaters are still fine. If you tuck in the t-shirt, you can wear one of your oversized sweaters or jackets open over it to dress it up. Keep your costs low.

Don't spend a lot of money if you are still losing weight.
    Cotton stretch leggings, thrift store jeans, and 2 t-shirts that fit will get you through. You can dress it up with accessories, sweaters, sweatshirts, and button-up oxford shirts. The leggings will literally go up and down 2 to 3 sizes. For weekend wear, thrift store workout pants are great. They are fitted and stretchy. They go up and down several sizes--saves money. Great for cleaning, dog walking. The plain ankle-length gray or black ones actually don't look bad.

Save your money on transition clothes.

:) I hate shopping too and I don't want to spend money on clothes.
    The current cotton leggings have lasted through 23 pounds lost. I think I can get another 10 or 15 pounds before I have to consider getting smaller ones.

:)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    @Loulee997 - Great point.

I did buy clothes at thrift stores or resale shops during weight loss, other than a very few items. My post here was about my clothing at goal weight: Much of that I bought new, though some was still from consignment shops.

My old leggings I wore to row when I was obese, I remodeled by putting a drawstring in the waist, and now wear as baggy knockabout pants while doing chores at home. :D (I couldn't keep rowing in them because loose clothing gets caught in the equipment and risks flipping one's boat!)

I have a few oversized old tops I can still wear, but not out in public, mostly. After losing almost 1/3 of my body weight, they're super baggy, too long in the sleeves, etc. They ones in good shape needed to go to Goodwill.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @Loulee997 - Great point.

I did buy clothes at thrift stores or resale shops during weight loss, other than a very few items. My post here was about my clothing at goal weight: Much of that I bought new, though some was still from consignment shops.

My old leggings I wore to row when I was obese, I remodeled by putting a drawstring in the waist, and now wear as baggy knockabout pants while doing chores at home. :D (I couldn't keep rowing in them because loose clothing gets caught in the equipment and risks flipping one's boat!)

I have a few oversized old tops I can still wear, but not out in public, mostly. After losing almost 1/3 of my body weight, they're super baggy, too long in the sleeves, etc. They ones in good shape needed to go to Goodwill.

Yeah, I thought I quoted the person under you---lol. They were talking about hating to buy clothing to replace oversized clothes.

I know some people love 'goal' clothing. I just want to get up and go I never pre-buy. But I also work from home so what I wear matters less.

:)

Lou
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ddsb1111 wrote: »
    lokihen wrote: »
    I'm a bit of an optimist and have plenty of storage space, so I've kept all the clothes I outgrew over the years. I also bought my favorite t-shirts in the next sizes down. It was such a boost pulling out all new shirts the last time my size dropped.

Current frustration: I really thought I was ready to fit into the next size, but still look like a sausage even though my current shirts are starting to look like tents. I do think another 5 - 10 lbs will make the difference, so I'm going to get them washed and into the dresser.

Just needed to vent, but would love to hear about anything you dealt with.

I did that with a bikini once, it was a bummer. I was so excited about the progress I made that I jumped wayyyyy ahead of where I was. Don’t let it derail you. When you finally fit those shirts, you’re going to remember how much you worked for it. Just remember that those elated feelings pass too. Emotions like that don’t last, but your health will be the real gift that keeps on giving.

Such a healthy viewpoint. Thank you.