Prediabetic at 23

Options
Hi! I am 23 years old and just found out that I am pre diabetic. I am overweight/obese, but am super active and healthy otherwise. Looking for some support from the younger crowd!
Thanks!

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would just say that you don't want diabetes. It will stick with you for the rest of your life. Start now to lose the weight. Get your daily calorie deficit, a digital food scale, and start weighing and measuring all food and drink. Try to stay within that goal everyday.

Being active will not save you--losing weight will. It's a wakeup call. Listen to it for your future self.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    I am not younger, but I got a pre-diabetic HbA1C late April. I went Keto and my glucose numbers were normal within days. The estimated HbA1C from the mySugar app was down to 5.1 within a month, and my last labs in November had a normal HbA1C as well. Since eating a Keto diet fits with my preferences and has had such a beneficial affect on my blood glucose, knee pain, blood pressure, and more, I will stick with it. It may or more not be for you, but I thought I would throw it out there.
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    Options
    Wow! Doesn’t it take about 3 months for A1c levels to go down? That’s amazing that you were able to do it so quick. I’m at 5.8, so hopefully I can get to normal numbers pretty quick!
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,922 Member
    Options
    Old lady just popped in to say welcome to MFP and i wish you the best!
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    Options
    Thank you! I’m starting to feel like a special snowflake 😩 Am I the only super young person on here struggling with this? Or just the only one that got lucky enough to do routine bloodwork and find out about this while it’s still a relatively easy fix? (My Dr thinks that if I lose 5 lbs in the next year it will reverse itself)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options
    Wow! Doesn’t it take about 3 months for A1c levels to go down? That’s amazing that you were able to do it so quick. I’m at 5.8, so hopefully I can get to normal numbers pretty quick!

That is an estimated A1C from about a month of taking multiple blood glucose tests per day. Since A1C measures a 3 month window, yes, it would take 3 months to get an accurate reading. The estimate I got from doing the same thing shortly before my last blood work was 5.1 while the blood work was 5.2, so I am guessing the estimate is fairly accurate.

You are not a snowflake in this area, but many people are insulin resistant and pre-diabetic and don't know it. They don't regularly see there doctor, and if they are younger, the doctor might not test them for it unless they are obese. Maybe not even then because they are young. It is only recently that it is becoming more clear that marching toward diabetes is happening at a much higher rate than originally thought and at a far younger ages. You may see like an exception, but I am guessing in the next 3-5 years you will find more and more people in your age bracket with the same issue. Frankly, it is better to catch it now rather than develop full diabetes.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful, congrats
  • NeedToLoseWeight2000
    NeedToLoseWeight2000 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you!