Nutrition

Options
I’ve seen on a healthy eating website that nuts and seeds are healthy but in moderation and that drinking water is good . I have a refillable water bottle I think I need to drink five for the day . As far as nuts and seeds the one I like is chia seeds how do I get in mindset to have it as a snack and lifestyle. Same thing for water

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Nuts and seeds can definitely be part of a varied diet, but many of the micronutrients in them can also be obtained from other food stuffs. So there is no point forcing yourself to eat them if you don’t really like them. Drinking enough is important but it doesn’t have to be water. Tea, coffee, soft drinks - they all count towards your fluid intake - although obviously some have more calories than others.

What do you like to eat?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I like to presoak chia seeds, so to make sure I always have some on hand, whenever I use some, I start more soaking.

My snacks are planned, so there's not much thinking required.

I also help myself succeed by planning ahead for meals and always having ingredients around.

For me, creating habits so I can do things automatically is far more helpful than mindset.

http://www.wisdomination.com/screw-motivation-what-you-need-is-discipline/
  • Purplestuff102
    Purplestuff102 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks for the responses but I’m having trouble with snacks . I only said nuts and seeds because they are what choose my plate.gov stated as being healthy snacks they have calories fiber and protein. My nutritionist recommended a turkey sandwich whole wheat bread light mayo cheese and lettuce but every single day every single day I have junk food snacks like Cheetos or mchicken value fries. My concern is that I’m 6 foot nine 388 I lost 31 pounds on this app . And kept it off for about two years . I can’t use a food scale because I become overly obsessed with the numbers. My blood work is good . My bmi is 41 this app got reviews as number 1 calorie counter. I lift weights but in my head if I stop eating junk food I would lose a lot more weight. I tried over eaters anonymous I can’t get like two days of abstinence I think I have binge eating disorder . I have like empty wrappers of junk food where I like hide the evidence. It’s tough.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Hey thanks for the responses but I’m having trouble with snacks . I only said nuts and seeds because they are what choose my plate.gov stated as being healthy snacks they have calories fiber and protein. My nutritionist recommended a turkey sandwich whole wheat bread light mayo cheese and lettuce but every single day every single day I have junk food snacks like Cheetos or mchicken value fries. My concern is that I’m 6 foot nine 388 I lost 31 pounds on this app . And kept it off for about two years . I can’t use a food scale because I become overly obsessed with the numbers. My blood work is good . My bmi is 41 this app got reviews as number 1 calorie counter. I lift weights but in my head if I stop eating junk food I would lose a lot more weight. I tried over eaters anonymous I can’t get like two days of abstinence I think I have binge eating disorder . I have like empty wrappers of junk food where I like hide the evidence. It’s tough.

As a woman who used to hide empty candy bags, wrappers, little Debbie boxes etc, I totally get where you’re coming from.

But, if you reread you own words, I think you know where the problem lies.

You’re just afraid, reluctant, resistant or whatever to making the change.

It’s basically your choice. Continue “as is” sacrificing your health for Chicken McNuggets and Cheetos or resolve to make a change.

I can tell you, once you come out the other side, fried foods lose all appeal (words I never thought would come out of my mouth!) and I can look at a bag of Cheetos or a Hershey bar and think, “I could gnosh on something else and get a lot more satisfaction and enjoy it equally or more”.

Those are trigger foods for me. I can’t have just one serving, but if you can keep it in line, can you rearrange your diary to make room for a serving a day of these?

There’s no law that says “total abstinence”, just a flexible calorie goal, flexible because you choose what that goal is. For me, last night at a party I’d banked calories for, it was two cupcakes and a brownie. Absolutely no regrets. Cupcakes have been calling me lately, and none came home with me.

I couldn’t, no way now how, when I first started, but now I can limit myself to a couple small wrapped chocolates per evening versus the couple pounds a day I used to devour.

The Ball of Decision is in your court.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I see that you're working with a nutritionist. What I would say is that seeds and nuts are better for you than Cheetos---for the same calories. So, choose the seeds and nuts. I haven't had a potato chip or a Cheetos for years. I can't even remember when. I live in Italy now and those things exist, but are not normal snacks. I just had 2 Wasa with 17 grams of Philadelphia Light and a coffee.

I snack on seeds and nuts and love to make chia pudding, soaking the chia in milk, or yogurt, or protein powder overnight. They are good with fruit or oats. A little planning is necessary.

The problem is that the snacks you like are ready to eat--rip the bag open and have at it. Allow yourself a single portion bag once or twice a day. Don't buy the big bags. Start filling in with other snacks. There are lots of things you could try. If you like yogurt, have Greek yogurt with honey, or jam, or peanut butter and crumble your protein bar, or 2 cookies, or nuts on top.

You don't have to suffer, just change your eating habits. I have 3 sons. They eat their snacks this way. They've never been overweight. Good Luck. You can do this.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Just a few thoughts about not using a food scale because of getting too obsessed with the numbers: I worried about this too, at first. But this process is all about numbers; you won’t lose unless you’re in a calorie deficit, and you need to know the numbers to get to that point. I continue to be amazed at what I learn from that little scale. Maybe it would help to decide that, just for a week or two, you’ll use a scale to get a handle on things - that it doesn’t have to be forever.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,152 Member
    Options
    I agree with others above about moderating what you can, not necessarily ruling out treat foods. FWIW, I find it easier to moderate some things if I buy them in single-serve packs, and I've seen other people here say likewise.

A couple of other things:

This isn't about black and white stark choices, "nutrition" vs. "junk".

First, anything can be a snack, right? It doesn't have to be an official snack food.

What about fruit? Fruit can be a good snack. Do you like deviled eggs? Good snack (I make mine with a dab of Greek yogurt instead of mayo for slightly lower calories - tastes the same to me). String cheese?

Do you like yogurt? There are some calorie-efficient yogurts with dessert-y flavors, and some protein.

Sometimes I eat frozen Greek yogurt bars, tastes jus like an ice cream bar, 100 calories and 5 grams of protein. It isn't a nutrition or calorie superstar, but it tastes great (I like cookie and mint chocolate chip flavors best), has a little nutritional value at moderate calories - a sort of compromise.

There are protein chips, Quest makes some, that some people think are great. They come in flavors like Loaded Taco, Sour Cream, and more. They run around 140 calories per serving, have around 19g protein. (Truth in advertising, I don't care for those, but will mention some things that I do like.)

I do like Beanitos chips, which have around 130 calories per serving, 5g protein. I like crispy broad beans, about 110 calories, 7g protein. I've made roasted chili/salt pumpkin seeds at home that taste great. Ditto for homemade crispy chickpeas in various flavors (lots of recipes online).

I don't build my life around snack foods, or the more highly processed foods that I've mentioned here. The majority of what I eat is regular protein sources (vegetarian ones, in my case), veggies, fruits, whole grains, low/no fat dairy.

I don't see it as a problem, though, to fill in a few extra nutrients here and there with things like the above, that come at a little higher calorie cost (still manageable sometimes). I want good nutrition, but that doesn't mean I need to eat all "superfoods" and never eat treats (that I can moderate).

I actually like water (usually with a lemon or lime/wedge around home - I cut those up and keep them in the freezer so I don't have to run to the store for fresh as often). But if you don't enjoy plain water, there are low/no calorie water amendments you can use to flavor the water, or canned/bottled water with a tiny bit of fruit essence or juice to flavor, no-calorie herb teas that are fruity and sweet-tasting. You find lots of "infused water" recipes online to make your own flavored water with fruit or similar flavorings.

I feel like sometimes some people treat eating as a sort of religious thing, a bunch of "thou shalts" and "thou shalt nots". I think it's possible - and in my case preferable - to get good nutrition more flexibly. Life is too short to eat things I don't enjoy. Happily, when I started experimenting, I found that I enjoyed quite a few things I hadn't tried previously, that turned out to have some nutrition and fit in my calorie goal.

Maybe you'd find that, too?
  • kshama2001
    Options

I wonder if you're under eating, which is leading to over eating. I'm barely full with one turkey sandwich and I'm considerably smaller than you.

I put your stats in here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided made you 40 years old and sedentary, and gave you a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week. That gives you 2680 calories a day. If you're eating closer to 1500 calories a day, this can easily happen:

https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
    oxghfteq89k2.png

(This was written for women eating 1200 calories a day; mentally substitute 1500 for 1200 and 3680 for actual average calorie intake (which would have you maintaining your current weight at the numbers I used.)

• AnnPT77
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I wonder if you're under eating, which is leading to over eating. I'm barely full with one turkey sandwich and I'm considerably smaller than you.

@Purplestuff102, what kshama says would be double true if someone's eating not only super low calories for their size, but also choosing foods that aren't very filling. I don't know about you, but for me Cheetos or fries may be tempting and tasty, but they aren't very filling.
    I put your stats in here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change-goals-guided made you 40 years old and sedentary, and gave you a weekly weight loss goal of 2 pounds a week. That gives you 2680 calories a day. If you're eating closer to 1500 calories a day, this can easily happen:

oxghfteq89k2.png

(This was written for women eating 1200 calories a day; mentally substitute 1500 for 1200 and 3680 for actual average calorie intake (which would have you maintaining your current weight at the numbers I used.)

• kshama2001
    edited December 2023
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

@Purplestuff102, what kshama says would be double true if someone's eating not only super low calories for their size, but also choosing foods that aren't very filling. I don't know about you, but for me Cheetos or fries may be tempting and tasty, but they aren't very filling.

oxghfteq89k2.png

@Purplestuff102, I need protein and fiber to stay full. Try planning to meet your daily protein and fiber goals before having high fat high carbs foods like Cheetos and fries. If you do this, you may find you want a lot less of them.

I added Fiber to my diary settings here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary-settings

In the app it should be More > Settings > Diary Settings > Customize Nutrient Dashboard but that's not actually working. It may need Premium, which I don't have. Nevertheless, one can do it on the computer and it will work in the app.

I love nuts but don't find them especially filling - way too much fat in relationship to protein. A turkey sandwich would be a much higher protein snack. If it comes to too many calories for a snack, have it on a 6" wrap.

Other high protein options to build snacks around are cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. I add fruit to this. Berries are high fiber fruit.
  • kshama2001
    edited December 2023
    Options
  • Purplestuff102
    Options
    Hey guys I’m going to increase my calories I really think I’m under eating . This activity level bs is confusing so I noticed that sedentary keeps my weight the same even though I pretty much walk everyday for twenty minutes . If I under eat which leads to bingeing or overeating . That’s why I’m going to give myself a realistic amount of calories
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Hey guys I’m going to increase my calories I really think I’m under eating . This activity level bs is confusing so I noticed that sedentary keeps my weight the same even though I pretty much walk everyday for twenty minutes . If I under eat which leads to bingeing or overeating . That’s why I’m going to give myself a realistic amount of calories

You're right, it's important to figure out the right number of calories that will trigger weight loss, but allow for good nutrition and feeling full/happy.

You probably already know this, but food choices, macronutrient mix, and timing of eating can also make hunger/appetite harder or easier to manage. Obviously, that means those things can influence our tendency to overeat or binge.

(I'm using the word "binge" here in the casual conversational sense, i.e., eating way more than one intended because of hunger/appetite or simple pleasure. I'm not using it in the technical "binge eating disorder" sense of eating objectively large amounts of food in a short time, being literally unable psychologically to control that, etc. I'm not certain how you're using "binge". )

Many people will find that eating a large fraction of one's total diet in whole foods reduces hunger/cravings. (I'm talking lean protein, veggies, fruits, grains . . . only small amounts of highly-processed refined food products.)

Different people find different macronutrient mixes filling. It can be high protein, low carb, high fat - it's pretty individual, so experimenting can help. Fiber can also be important to feel full.

Ditto for eating timing: Very individual. Different people do better on anything from one meal a day (OMAD) to all-day grazing on many snack-sized meals, or anything in between those extremes.

For some people, individual foods are particularly filling. This is also different from one person to the next, but common examples are baked potatoes, oatmeal, meat/fish. Some people also find they need high-volume food to feel full. For many, that's large-volume low calorie veggies, but it can be other low-calorie foods.

• Purplestuff102
    Options
    Hey again I’m working on having kettle chips with fouty percent less fat or maybe baked lays chips. In my macros fat has been low for a while just noticed it recently and working on it. Any tips for mindless snacking I plan on counting out 19 chips and not eating from the bag or should I just keep it simple like a handful . I normally can eat a half bag in a day I think the bag is patty size every other meal is healthy breakfast and lunch and dinner. And I’m increasing my water intake. I don’t want to obsess over the numbers but just would like to generally stay in calorie deficit
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    Speak my language you do.

I have found that my vacuum sealer can reseal the bag if I cut it straight with a scissors. It used to not help. I would know where they were, and re-opening a bag was not a physical challenge for me.

Recently, I've been finding it actually WORKS. Because otherwise I get none. I can't bring them home if I can't mete them out. I was really good at leaving them in the store. I finally got to where I could bring some home. Oh, yeah, that took a while. Long time. Plenty of "failed experiments" where I'd try and that bag was empty before sunset. So it's just trying to make little changes that add up. Sometimes it works.
  • phx92
    phx92 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    For me, if I have chips I will eat them. If I buy small bags, I eat 5 small bags. I buy a big bag, I eat the big bag… I just like them too much. So I don’t buy chips to keep in the house, instead I will buy a bag like once a week when I visit friends so even if it’s a big bag I am splitting it with other people. And I don’t feel deprived by never getting any….. I might buy some from a vending machine on a bad day, but even then it is more effort to eat the chips

For other snacks I like to have instead of chips:

nuts and seeds- I can eat one handful and stop. My favorite is almonds, or pistachios if they are on sale.

Popcorn - you can buy light versions of microwave popcorn that have less oil, or make your own popcorn on the stove so you can use smaller amounts.

Cucumbers - I like to slice cucumbers or other fruits and add chili powder or other seasoning, it’s a little work but they are crunchy and fun

Pretzels - I feel like you get more pretzels per serving than you do of chips, they are crunchy and salty, but I get bored and can stop of one serving. I can’t buy special flavored pretzels only there plain pretzel sticks or mini pretzels
  • springlering62
    Options
    Agree with pretzels and popcorn.

A serving of airpopped corn is only 130 for a very large bowl I either spritz it with a wee tiny bit of olive oil and add truffle salt, or half margarine and half soy sauce, but that’s utterly addictive.
  • AnnPT77
    edited February 8
    Options
    Hey again I’m working on having kettle chips with fouty percent less fat or maybe baked lays chips. In my macros fat has been low for a while just noticed it recently and working on it. Any tips for mindless snacking I plan on counting out 19 chips and not eating from the bag or should I just keep it simple like a handful . I normally can eat a half bag in a day I think the bag is patty size every other meal is healthy breakfast and lunch and dinner. And I’m increasing my water intake. I don’t want to obsess over the numbers but just would like to generally stay in calorie deficit

This is stupid to say, but the counter to mindless snacking is mindful snacking. Plan your snacks, log them, stick with the plan.

If you can't moderate the chips at all, keep them out of the house, or only buy the occasional single-serve bag. Later try re-introducing them.

If you can moderate them (with some work, maybe), then definitely take a planned portion out of the back, put it in a bowl that makes the portion look big (not like a chihuahua in the bottom of an empty swimming pool!), and eat them with attention, slowly, savoring. Taking the bag with you and munching without thinking is a good way to find the crumbs at the bottom of the bag, maybe even in one session. Don't set yourself up for that, if that's what's happening.

If you're having trouble with snacking, I'd say definitely don't snack while doing some other distracting thing. Sit and enjoy the snack. If it tastes like more, do something distracting (away from the snack cupboard if possible) and wait at least 20 minutes. The urge may pass.

Some of us, with some foods, can moderate better if we buy single-serve packages (even multiples at once). That's true for me, but only with some foods. Others I'm better off not buying in the first place.

If there are other snacks you can eat that better help you meet your goals, that you still find tasty (but moderate-able), start getting those into your rotation instead. Don't eat a snack until it's logged. Seeing the impact may have an impact.

If you're persistently low on fats, consider snacks that have some healthy fats, maybe like nuts or seeds if you like those. (I know you mentioned those earlier, and were struggling with them, so maybe they're not good for you.) They're calorie dense, but getting ones that need to be shelled can help with slowing the munching. Again, pre-measured portion, eaten with attention. Veggies with a single-serve guacamole would be another healthy-fat snack option, if you like avocados.

Best wishes!

• nsk1951
    nsk1951 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit off-point here; but something I did when I first starting using a scale and logging on an app ... For a week or two, I ate the same amount of food and made the same choices as I was my custom; but before I ate any of it, I did weigh and/or measure it. I made note of that, and then logged the food to see what the nutrition macro's and calories ended up being. I also weighed myself at the beginning and every 7 days after. Then I sat down and dug into that information to see what I was doing so that I could make choices about what I would start changing, one at a time.

It was a lot of work for a couple of weeks, especially at the same time as learning the app taking up time as well; but it was time well invested in my future.

As for Chia Seeds, If I had them, I liked to add them to my morning oatmeal, but only max 1 Tblsp of them. Otherwise, I didn't like them very much any other way.

And for water, I learned to drink a full glass first thing in the morning and before all my meals. And, if I was feeling dry, I'd drink a glass in between as well, plus always had a glass to sip along with the meal itself as well. To ease nighttime waking up, I'd stop drinking water 2 or so hours before bed.
  • springlering62
    Options
    nsk1951 wrote: »
    Maybe a bit off-point here; but something I did when I first starting using a scale and logging on an app ... For a week or two, I ate the same amount of food and made the same choices as I was my custom; but before I ate any of it, I did weigh and/or measure it. I made note of that, and then logged the food to see what the nutrition macro's and calories ended up being. I also weighed myself at the beginning and every 7 days after. Then I sat down and dug into that information to see what I was doing so that I could make choices about what I would start changing, one at a time.

This. I started logging and weighing, tentatively but immediately , since I was probably a typical gung ho “let’s do this!” dieter.

But I also discovered I could scoot my diary back a few days before I started. So I did, and recorded several “typical” days.

My stomach dropped like a runaway elevator when I realized then the true extent of my problem with food. If nothing else reinforced my need to change, that did.