fair food?

Options
I am going to the fair with my family this Friday night - an annual thing we all look forward to. I want to enjoy myself while I'm there (I'm planning on eating maintanence calories for that day), but I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for lower calorie fair food? I'm thinking about it and I can't come up with ANYTHING that seems reasonable.

Replies

• prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    maybe popcorn best i can think of
  • Gutter19
    Options
    I would stick with any kind of marinated meat on a stick. And, I am sure there is probably going to be a chicken kabob or something like that if you look around...and they are usually very tasty and good protein.
  • gdengler
    gdengler Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You should just go and enjoy yourself! Don't overeat, just have a couple favorites. Have you checked to see if common "fair food" items are in the food database?
  • rwd5046
    rwd5046 Posts: 302
    Options
    NO SUCH THING !!!!!
  • bitterbrownie
    Options
    as i don't really know what they might do, i think portion control might be your best option :) share food!

but go ahead and enjoy it :)
  • smc1277
    smc1277 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    If it's just a once a year thing, enjoy what you want. It's not your scarfing down greasy fair food everyday. Treat yourself.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    When I go to the fair, I never buy anything just for myself. We go in a group and share everything we buy... so I'll have a bite of this, two bites of that, a bite of something else...

Granted, this probably does add up. But it's a good way to enjoy that tasty fair food without overdoing it TOO much. There's not much to eat there that's actually healthy, so my perspective is to just have a taste of a few really yummy and fair-specific items, since it only comes once a year! :)

EDIT: Candy apples aren't too bad, if I remember correctly.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    You probably don't have enough maintenance calories to balance out fair food. It's probably just better to eat, enjoy, and hope for the best.
  • puggleperson
    puggleperson Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Deep fried pickles I found out are pretty low in calories..but don't dip them in a mayo based sauce...

A bbq'd ear of corn is yummy!

You can find chicken everywhere..

Look for a greek booth and get something healthy from there.

Look for vegetarian options.

Diet sodas to drink

Mm the SD fair has yummy Chicken Kaboobs!

Soo many options.. Just prepare yourself mentally becuase it's harder then heck to stay on track at a fair.... You can do it!!
  • tmiqueen
    tmiqueen Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd probably pick my favorite fair foods and get someone to split them with me to halve the calories.

You've got to be able to splurge SOMETIME, right?
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    When the fair was in california I had the ONLY thing there that WASNT fried and the ONLY vendor that didnt sell fried foods. Lol.

Veggie Pita. :o)
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    It is the FAIR!!! Everything imaginable on a stick!!! I just took a few nibbles from everyone elses food. Cheese on a stick, Corn dog on a stick, Beef on a stick, Cotton Candy on a stick, I consumed about 400 calories, but I got my fix of Fair Food, and felt satisfied!
  • OliveBruises
    OliveBruises Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    maybe a soft pretzel and some cotton candy?
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Side note-- just bring cash, not a debit card. Figure what you will need for admission, rides, and ONE treat... Fair food is expensive, so you'll run out of money at some point! lol :)
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    NO SUCH THING !!!!!

That's the deal. I wouldn't touch that stuff with somebody else's mouth! lol :)
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    The fairs that I have been to have fresh pineapple or maybe share a turkey leg with someone??? I'm not sure what the colorie count is on a turkey let, but it's better for you than a funnel cake :wink:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Get one of those big roasted turkey legs. Or roasted peanuts.
  • msiamjan
    msiamjan Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I too would suggest the roasted turkey leg.
  • Angie789
    Angie789 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... turkey leg! I forgot about those! Thanks for all the suggestions - I feel encouraged that I can enjoy the fair without going too crazy.
  • nrvo
    nrvo Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A lot of fairs have grilled ears of corn....yum!