Restarting for the 100th time

Options
Hi all! Not technically new to MFP but it's been many many months and i've never posted before.

I've really struggled in the past with self-disclipline and willpower... but as my weight creeps higher and higher and my level of fitness gets lower and lower I'm desperate to make a change in my lifestyle.

I'm not sure why I'm even posting as I'm quite nervous talking to people but it feels good to shout into the void - 'enough is enough!' :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Commitment is required to reach any goal. It's easier to stick if you are consistent with your habits day in and day out even while facing adversity. Good luck.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,042 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I hear ya! It's soooo hard to climb out of that hole, isn't it? Whether it's a case of the "misewells" AKA "I've eaten this, so I misewell eat that since I've blown if for today" ... or the never ending quest for the perfect tomorrow start, restaring is the WORST. Plus, now it's the holidays where all sorts of goodies descend from out of nowhere. Where is a good stomach bug when you need it?!

For me the best way I've found to get back on track is to limit the hours I eat. I don't eat after 6pm except for maybe a cup of herbal tea. I do this even if I've polished off a whole sleeve of cookies mid-afternoon. The other thing that helps me is planning meals ahead of time and pre-logging them. I usually have one larger meal (fruit, coffee, eggs, bacon, buttered toast breakfast) and then a lighter meal (fish & veg) to offset the larger meal's calories. That really helps me feel less deprived. The next day a very light breakfast is counterbalanced with a saucy pasta dinner or burger meal.

As for exercise, I started (and re-started) with a mere 5 minutes of movement. Then I got it up to 8 and was so darned proud of myself when I could manage 10. The heck with all the self proclaimed paragons of perfect diet and fitness. You do you and take tiny consistent steps every day, no matter how many calories you eat or hours you spend on the couch. Just keep the good habits going until you get in your groove. You can do it. <3