Help from the UK crowd pls ......

Options
Ok, I have been 'quite' good over the last month but the need to do a big shop is looming, I have all the normal stuff that I buy on the list including fruit & veg but I need some inspiration for more healthy foods - any suggestions??

Replies

• MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Fage Total 0% fat Greek yoghurt - really low calorie but packed with protein.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Hmm what kind of stuff are you after?

I love chick peas lately - very filling in a salad or stiryfry or delicious processed up into hommus :)
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    how about looking for a couple of vegetarian meals to make a change to your diet
    if you cut tofu thinly and dry fry - to dry it out - them marinate in something you would use for chicken that would make a lovely stirfry tofu is extremely high in protein

how about making crustless quiche to take to work for lunches with a salad
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    look into making some soup? i love home made soup! and you can use dried mushroom water (after you soak them) as stock or like chicken bones and stuff
  • MaudeBeige
    Options
    red kidney beans
    tuna
    extra light philly (tiny tubs for portion control)
    salmon pieces - frozen section at Tesco, on sale at the moment

things to avoid:
    tinned veg curry (on special at Tesco) not so tasty!!!
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Earl Grey Tea doesnt have any calories in.....
  • colgosling
    colgosling Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Hmm some lovely suggestions, I love hummus and may give Tofu a try, think I tried it in Indonnesia once. I suppose I am just looking for something different, my diet pretty much consists of chicken dishes - chicken curry, stirfry, risotto or minced beef like Chilli, Bolognaise and Minced casserole or pasta for something quick. Just want to break out of the monotony of buying same food all the time.
  • lilmissemmylou
    lilmissemmylou Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dried pulses and beans are always great fillers for hot dishes and I love Skinny Cow ice creamsand diet fizzy drinks for treats when I want something sweet tasting to stop me going over the top and getting chocolate too lol
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This book has some nice things in, you should be able to pick up a 2nd hand copy if you liked the look of it:

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/david+scott/demiveg+cook+book/3702323/

It gives an outline of a balanced semi-veg diet.

Another book I really like is Slimming World's 30minute meals, and am also loving Rocco Dispirito recipes at the moment (as are the family). (Though cant get all the ingredients in the UK)
  • cal1973
    cal1973 Posts: 306 Member
    Options

this
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I eat this pretty much every day. Love it!
  • mokeymokey
    Options
    I use the BBC Good Food site a fair bit for inspiration and go by the reviews on there as to what may be nice-plus they have a 'healthy' section. It has the added bonus of having the calories on there, too.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yeah the BBC Food site is great for recipes and ideas.

- tortilla wraps instead of bread sandwiches
    - Home-made Risotto - with lots of veg
    - Veggie curry
    - quorn chilli (instead of high cal beef mince!)
    - jacket potato with tuna or baked beans
    - chicken n crispy bacon salad
    - mushroom and veg stirfry
    - cream fraiche stirred into pasta (with smoked salmon)
    - home made soup (I like leek n potato, or carrot n coriander)
    - Chicken n veg stew

Good luck x
  • cjw6
    cjw6 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Which supermarket do you use? Sainsbury and tesco both do ready to cook fresh meals which I really like- the just cook range is pretty good, you have to pick out the healthy ones but they are very easy to shove in the oven and the portion control bit (my weakness) is done for you. The innocent veg pots are pretty good for lunch- quite expensive but good when they are on special offers. How about some fresh or frozen tuna steaks, with one of the sachet sauces and some salad- good quick and healthy dinner. For desserts I am loving the delmonte ice cream bars-they aren't labelled as diet or anything, but only 50 cals per bar, and just like a solero taste wise- great for cravings.
  • edward1973
    Options
    snack wise i am addicted to either tesco or morrison light crispbreads with extra light cheese triangles - much better than bread and dont bloat you up

also the rivita crispbread - taste almost like cheesy puffs without the cheese and 20cals a slice Mmmmm
  • colgosling
    Options
    Wow some great ideas - thankyou all so much, Tesco here I come!!
  • cdpm
    cdpm Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My friend told me about spoonfedsuppers.com. I don't know how good it is yet, I have only signed up for the free daily emails, but it could give you free daily ideas and it will also send through a free shopping list on what to buy each week for the meals.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Danone Shape white chocolate mousse! 110 cal a pot, tastes like pure liquid white chocolate! <3

Sainsburys are doing them on special offer atm too!
  • colgosling
    Options
    Ohh I'd forgotten about the innocent Veg pots - I wanted to try those as they look lovely and don't break the 'calorie' bank, just the financial one as you say :)
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    sda reduced sugar and salt baked beans, mushrooms and kerry low fat grated cheese.

Feasters thin link sausages (asda) 57 cals each

ambrosia low fat rice pudding 117cals for 150gms

Then the old favourite nutella 10 cals a teaspoon