Tis’ the season - Mocktails 🎄🎊

Options
SafariGalNYC
SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
The holiday season is here and events and get togethers abound. I thought I would start a thread for mocktail inspiration.

Do you have one that you like? Have you created a new concoction? Do tell!

Merry Christmas season! Happy Hanukkah!

And all that jazz 🎊

Cheers 🥂

Replies

• SafariGalNYC
    Options
    This mornings brunch mocktail: tea & elderberry spritzer.

Sparkling water
    White tea
    Green tea
    Elderberry
    Elderflower
    Lemon
    Thyme

n7wzgc5iqaa2.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    A rainy evening here.

Time for a Lavender Kombucha spritz!

Lavender kombucha
    Seltzer
    Splash of elderflower.

0te4bw9qrsyd.jpeg

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    There are some decent non-alcoholic beers these days.

Deschutes makes a N/A Black Butte Porter that tastes like Black Butte Porter! A brewery called Athletic makes a few good ones and some that are OK. A Canadian brewer makes "Sober Carpenter." Their West Coast IPA is actually pretty good. Lagunitas makes an IPnoA that's also good.

If you're not a fan of beer, Lagunitas makes a "Hoppy Refresher." It's a sparkling zero-calorie hop-flavored beverage. Good stuff.

I even can go for a few dashes of some kind of bitters shaken on to a few cubes of ice and some sparking water poured on top.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »

Deschutes makes a N/A Black Butte Porter that tastes like Black Butte Porter! A brewery called Athletic makes a few good ones and some that are OK. A Canadian brewer makes "Sober Carpenter." Their West Coast IPA is actually pretty good. Lagunitas makes an IPnoA that's also good.

If you're not a fan of beer, Lagunitas makes a "Hoppy Refresher." It's a sparkling zero-calorie hop-flavored beverage. Good stuff.

I even can go for a few dashes of some kind of bitters shaken on to a few cubes of ice and some sparking water poured on top.

I like Heineken 00 beer. I have yet to find a decent AF wine and have dumped out many of them, especially the FRE wines- yuk. Tastes like apple cider. But the AF beer is pretty good.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

I like Heineken 00 beer. I have yet to find a decent AF wine and have dumped out many of them, especially the FRE wines- yuk. Tastes like apple cider. But the AF beer is pretty good.

That's interesting to hear.

I was at the Volunteer Appreciation Event last January for the aquarium where I'm a volunteer diver. They had Athletic beer - a couple flavors, and some N/A wine. I had heard some of the N/A wines had improved to actually being good and tasting like wine. I was in a pint-o-beer mode, so I got the Athletic. I'm glad I did. Now I'm even gladder.

For a while I could find N/A Pabst Blue Ribbon. Yeah. I know. But in reality it was actually pretty good. If it was really hot out and I wanted something light, it would fit the bill nicely. A friend was shocked. SHOCKED. So I brought a can to the tavern and gave him one. He got five ounces of regular PBR and did a taste test. He thought the N/A was better than regular PBR - said it tasted fresher. A day or two later I brought a can or two for everyone to get to try and that was fun. The bartender poured two- or three-ounce tastes and offered them up without telling people what they were. Nobody could figure it out, and they were shocked (SHOCKED) when they found out. Sadly, I can't find it anymore. I wish I could.
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @mtaratoot - Oooo I’m going to have to investigate that Hoppy Refresher!

@rubyred427 - yeah, I can see how AF wine would be tough. Some of the lower alcohol ones sway too sweet for me as well. I’ve moved over to the sparkling drinks lately. ;)
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Mood lighting and a ginger lemon spritz

Ginger juice
    Squeeze of lemon
    Seltzer
    Blackberry garnish

3vhzv0qrjpjq.jpeg
  • SafariGalNYC
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Turmeric chai coquito 🎄 (vegan - can be made with milk instead)

Coconut cream, turmeric, Monkfruit, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, nutmeg.

7wbokx1664s4.jpeg

• SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @mtaratoot - I tried Prophets - I thought it was great.

Also- I found N/a Pabst on Amazon. :)

6y2qlg9b83ro.jpeg
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

I'm usually not much of a fan of the hazy.

The N/A PBR is decent, but no way worth what Amazon was asking when I just checked. No way. I think I'll ask at my local co-op if they can just special order me a case or two. I bet they can. Good to know it is still available. The store I used to buy it couldn't keep it in stock, I presume because it was so popular. They don't like empty shelf space, so instead they fill it with things that don't sell as well... I guess. The co-op should be able to get me some.

Tonight I had a real-deal Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. That's good stuff, ethanol and all.
  • AllaboutDaCake
    AllaboutDaCake Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Mood lighting and a ginger lemon spritz

Ginger juice
    Squeeze of lemon
    Seltzer
    Blackberry garnish

3vhzv0qrjpjq.jpeg

This looks delicious
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    Sierra Nevada is now selling two N/A beers. They are both called Trail Pass. There's an IPA and a Golden Ale. I can attest to the quality of their IPA. It's actually tasty!

I saw some in our cooperative natural foods grocery the other week. I was reticent to buy a whole six pack. Beer is expensive, even the N/A stuff. I was out for a walk last week and saw a friend's truck at the tavern, so I ducked in out of the rain and tried one. It was good enough I had a second.

I bought some in the grocery today. It hurt a little less because Co-op members get 10% off one day per month - their choice of what date. Today was my day.

I looked it up on the internet. They worked for five years developing these beverages based on some good experiences the owners of the brewery had in Germany with N/A beer that actually tastes good. They worked for the last years looking for the right yeast that would do the job. It had to ferment to no more than 0.5% ABV, and it had to ferment clean. They finally found one and rushed to develop the final recipe. They don't use ethanol separation methods like vacuum distillation to remove the ethanol; instead they just use a yeast that doesn't make much.

I'm sold.

It's 95 calories for 12 ounces, and it even has a gram of protein in there.

ojitooaid3vs.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    Sierra Nevada is now selling two N/A beers. They are both called Trail Pass. There's an IPA and a Golden Ale. I can attest to the quality of their IPA. It's actually tasty!

I saw some in our cooperative natural foods grocery the other week. I was reticent to buy a whole six pack. Beer is expensive, even the N/A stuff. I was out for a walk last week and saw a friend's truck at the tavern, so I ducked in out of the rain and tried one. It was good enough I had a second.

I bought some in the grocery today. It hurt a little less because Co-op members get 10% off one day per month - their choice of what date. Today was my day.

I looked it up on the internet. They worked for five years developing these beverages based on some good experiences the owners of the brewery had in Germany with N/A beer that actually tastes good. They worked for the last years looking for the right yeast that would do the job. It had to ferment to no more than 0.5% ABV, and it had to ferment clean. They finally found one and rushed to develop the final recipe. They don't use ethanol separation methods like vacuum distillation to remove the ethanol; instead they just use a yeast that doesn't make much.

I'm sold.

It's 95 calories for 12 ounces, and it even has a gram of protein in there.

ojitooaid3vs.jpg

Those are impressive! I have to go look up if it’s typical for beer to have protein. I love the added bonus. Hmm 🤔
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

It's just ONE gram of protein per 12 ounces.

I've found that very few breweries publish the nutritional information for their beer. Probably because of all the calories. The N/A beers seem to be more inclined to, and they do have a lot fewer calories. I think there's 20g of carbs in the Sierra Trail Pass IPA if that matters. It doesn't matter to me.

I went to their website today and signed up for a "subscription." They'll send me a care package every four weeks, the subscription cost is less than I pay here at the grocery, and they pick up the shipping. I think there will be more of this tasty stuff in my future.
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @mtaratoot - can’t wait for pics!!

I’ve been in a kombucha phase lately. :)
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

I have a couple bottles of kombucha waiting for me in the fridge. I just keep forgetting about them. I'm kind of surprised I've never made the stuff.

Pics of what?

Look what I saw on my walk today. Surprised the heck out of me since it's just a very few days into February:

oi98ks7qh4pb.jpg
  • SafariGalNYC
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC

I have a couple bottles of kombucha waiting for me in the fridge. I just keep forgetting about them. I'm kind of surprised I've never made the stuff.

Pics of what?

Look what I saw on my walk today. Surprised the heck out of me since it's just a very few days into February:

oi98ks7qh4pb.jpg

Wow awesome pic!

Photos of the care package! 😉
  • I_am_motivated
    I_am_motivated Posts: 31 Member
    edited February 4
    Options
    I know this is kinda late, but if you live near a Total Wine and More they have oodles of n/a beer, wine, and spirits. Amazon has quite a selection as well.