Why at one point motivation fades away ?

Options
Just seeing if anyone has gone through this
Why after successfully achieving a goal one’s mind Gradually goes back to ZERO motivation ?
Is it just me ??

Replies

• Brigit_1
    Brigit_1 Posts: 209 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Just seeing if anyone has gone through this
    Why after successfully achieving a goal one’s mind Gradually goes back to ZERO motivation ?
    Is it just me ??

Motivation is different for everyone. If you're referring to fitness (clean eating & exercise) it depends upon what you can live with or what's important to you. If you want to stay on track you'll need to find positive reinforcements to do repetitive behaviors.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    What the others said: Try to build healthy habits, like brushing your teeth. Also, having a proper motivator is important. Just a "I want to be slim" hardly ever lasts because you can still do this tomorrow, or the day after, or next month. Think of the why. You're prediabetic and you might get very sick, you want to play socker with the grand kids, you have one big wish but first need to be at a lower weight..
  • rbj6jxf6sc
    rbj6jxf6sc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is ups and downs just like anything else. I will also say that in my experience we female have a time of the month where we lack motivation…yes I’m talking about our periods I’m not speaking scientifically cause I’m no scientist but I’m sure our hormones play some part in it too. I’ve noticed my willpower diminish during that time and that extra water weight makes it seem like we aren’t progressing. Try keeping a journal to see when this lack of motivation comes in and see if it is around that time period and if so cut yourself some slack but then remind yourself that its ok..it takes time and you will push through it.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just saw a blog post that somebody on MFP posted - was it @kshama2001 - arguing that what we need is not motivation but discipline. I think there's something to it. I'm a terrible procrastinator, but as a friend pointed out the other day, I'm very disciplined about certain things. I suspect the things I avoid are things that require a certain amount of self-love, or faith in myself - or they are things I fear I might fail at doing. Still mulling this over.

Today, the scale is motivating me, because I was below 174 last week and now I'm above 176 again, and even though I know this type of fluctuation is meaningless, I still thought, "There is no f-ing way I'm losing the progress I've already made, and therefore I'm throwing out those heavy, greasy deli latkes that a friend brought from the big city." So, like the blogger said, discipline leads to motivation, not necessarily the other way around.
  • brenn35
    brenn35 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i know with me I want what I want but if I go look at pictures, that usually wakes me up. And there is this girl on fb that lost 200 lbs and she looks so good and her before pictures makes her look fat and sad. This also wakes me up, she is such an inspiration and looks like a different person.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    My strong motivation can evaporate overnight. No reason why. I’ve taken good advice and knowledge from posters on here that recommend making good habits ‘routines’. That’s what I’m learning to do. It worked for me today. I just wasn’t feeling any motivation, but got out of bed and threw my gym clothes on, and worked out. I felt great afterwards. I guess my motivation is back😳.
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thanks me for all the great responses !
    I’m still trying to figure out how I lost all this crazy motivation that I had for about 5 years I could say …
    I was so good and when I slipped I got right back up and it seemed that it was the new me just like a normal part of my life I never expected I would get to this point now with such low motivation for even little stuff …
    I feel horrible and maybe what led to this was some life stuff I had to deal with , but even then I was still able to hop right back in
    What’s wrong with me now ?
    Why its been so hard to want to look amazing like before ?
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'd start by re-framing, self talk is important. I never got anywhere when I was beating myself up.

Now I try to think in positive terms, I'm doing things because they're fun and I like them.
    I eat a certain way because it's tasty and it makes me feel good. It's not punishment for the size of my lazy backside.

Give yourself grace, there's nothing 'wrong' with you. Pick a small, easy thing and apply it.
    Today I'll have vegetable soup for lunch, or go out for a walk for 20 mins, or whatever.

Just start, keep doing it. After a few weeks that's just what you do, then you move into the next thing, and so on.
    You start feeling better because you are achieving what you set out to do, and of course the actions help you feel better so you want to do more, and so we climb out of the hole....

Until next time we fall down it, but it doesn't matter. We can do hard things, so we start....

• NeedToLoseWeight2000
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Motivation is one of my weakest muscles. If I make a plan that depends on staying motivated, I will fail. I want to be at a healthy weight for the rest of my life, if at all possible. Obviously, I need a plan that doesn't require motivation to keep going.

I'm with yirara up there, among others: During weight loss, I worked on finding and practicing routine habits that were practical, relatively pleasant, fairly easy, and that contributed to reaching and staying at goal weight. When I identified those habits (by experimenting), I practiced them until they became second nature. Generally, I can maintain my weight almost on autopilot, just doing the practiced, routine, habitual things that I learned to do.

I was overweight/obese for 30 years. I've been at a healthy weight for the past 7+ years. Mostly, it's just habits. It will be the majority of my days that create the majority of my results, not the rare day when I do something crazy indulgent (and there are those days). That means relatively easy routine habits are powerful.

Give it some thought. Are there ways you can avoid, or at least minimize, the need for motivation?

Best wishes for success!

Hi! Just came across this thread. Can you give examples of good habits to form that will help with weight loss/healthier lifestyle?

• minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I watched a YouTube video earlier today that focuses on this very issue, in the context of a calisthenics program, but then goes on to discuss other areas beyond fitness. His view is that demotivation is a "feature not a bug".

https://youtu.be/yZ1wiTMFPzY?si=9_rsM8c9IAoWItpB
  • lgephardt3
    lgephardt3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Motivation is temporary and is good to get you started, but determination is what keeps it going. Making it not just something I do now to lose weight, but something I do forever to stay healthy is the key.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!