Oatmeal w Cinnamon Apples

Options
Hi Everyone...

Thought I would post this recipe after trying it as I thought it was a nice change from my usual cereal breakfast...

Ingredients:

1/3Cup Oatmeal (Old Fashioned) --- @ 100 Calories
1/3 Cup Non Fat Milk -- @ 30 Calories
A little less than 1/3 Cup Water
1 small/medium Gala Apple (Cut into small squares) -- @ 80 Calories
2-3 Tbsp of Splenda Sweetner (to taste)
1-2 tsp of Cinnamon

Cook your Oatmeal per the directions. While it is cooking cut up your apple and place the cubes in a bowl and microwave for 2.5 minutes on high - this will cook them and make them tender. Then add your Splenda and Cinnamon to the apples mix well and cook in the microwave for another 20-30 seconds on high. This should result in a nice tender apple in a tasty cinnamon sauce.
Add to the cooked oatmeal and mix well... A very tasty breakfast for only about 210 Calories... Note, you may want to add just a little more splenda to the cooked oatmeal before adding the apples. If you want a larger portion just adjust the amount of oatmeal that you prepare. But I find that this quantity will keep my total breakfast under 300 calories after adding in my coffee and creamer etc...

Replies

• snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    What a tasty sounding breakfast!
  • cfort20
    cfort20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump
  • beaglegal
    Options
    I do a something like this for breakfast too. Mine is...granny smith apple chopped, a bit of healthy balance butter, some cinnamon and a splenda package in an iron skillet, with a tiny bit of water to simmer till the apples are a little soft. Then I add 1/4 a cup of oatmeal and a little more water till the oatmeal is soft. Then add 1/8 cup cut up walnuts for crunch. I really don't like oatmeal to much but know it is good for my cholesterol.
  • haterhaze
    haterhaze Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I love apples in my oatmeal, but I never gave walnuts a thought - I like the crunch factor. Thanks!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! I copied and saved it to my recipe file.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've got apples I need to use up, thanx for sharing!

:drinker:

Ice
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I do something really similar, and it's delicious! I buy bags of frozen fruit (blueberries, peaches, raspberries). Basically, I pick a fruit. I mix 1/3 cup of the fruit (still frozen) with 1/3 cup of old-fashioned rolled oats, and 2/3 cup of water. I microwave for 3 minutes and then stir in a packet of sweetener and 2 T. of half & half.

It's sort of like the 'Fruit & Cream' packets of Quaker instant oatmeal - but so much better!

I'll definitely have to try it with apples now, too!
  • beaglegal
    Options
    Oh yeah. I also add a tbsp of flaxseed.
  • am1990
    Options
    Oh My! This sounds so yummy!!! i WILL MAKE IT!! =)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    will try this tomorrow.
  • mybutterfly63
    mybutterfly63 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!