Sore from a VERY short workout!

Options
I did about 10 minutes of a 20 minute workout with my Wii Active yesterday (lots of squats and lunges) and I am sooooo sore today that I can barely walk, get up out of a chair or climb 2 stairs!!!! I knew I was out of shape and wouldn't make it through the whole 20 minutes, but geeze!

My question is:

Is it better to keep exercising even when you are sore, or hold off until the soreness subsides?

Also, has anyone here had success with the Wii Active series?

Thanks!

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I had this same thing when I first started my weighted ball workout. I could barely move the next day. I'd recommend doing it again tomorrow even if you are still a little sore. Your muscles will get use to it pretty quick.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    The Wii EA Active was directly responsible for my first thirty pounds of weight loss. I have had tremendous success with it! I just kept doing the challenges (pre set workouts) on the schedule they set for me and it worked wonders. Circuit training is wonderful for you.

If you are just experiencing some muscle tightness (as I did as well!) it is best to keep going and do what you can without serious strain. If you feel any kind of sharp pain, I would hold off.
  • melissabell1984
    Options
    I was at the point, one time, where I couldn't even sit on the toilet my body was so sore from working out (25mins!)! At that point I took a day and let my body heal, but got right back to it the next day. Just listen to your body! if it says 'no way' then listen, but remember, a little exercise is better than nothing and I PROMISE if you stick with it, it WILL get easier :-)
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Go slower maybe the next time and do not forget to stretch when you are done with your workout, helps release the tension in the muscles and ease the soreness. :)
  • moonlightuk
    moonlightuk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was like that after my first visit to the gym, the next morning my legs were so sore. Left it a day and went back and after a couple of visits the pain stopped. Good luck :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Just don't work the same muscle groups within 48hours of each other. If you did legs yesterday do upper body today.
  • Jess22542
    Options
    is it the first time you've done lunges/squats in a long time? They will make you SO sore at first! After a few times, you'll get use to them and it won't be nearly as bad. I wouldn't say you should more of them until you not quite so sore, but that doesn't mean do nothing. Stretch the muscles for sure. And try walking, running, or jumping jacks. Cardio will help work the legs a little without strickly concentrating on the area that hurt. That will help the soreness go away more quickly. Also, try doing some upper body stuff.

Also, just a warning, no matter what you do, when it comes to soreness, day 2 is usually worse than day 1. So don't get discouraged if it's worse tomorrow. It'll be much better by day 3. Keep up the good work!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I feel you! I just joined a gym and had a complimentary training session yesterday and I am SOOOOOO SOOOORRRREEEE... it's ridiculous! I'm going to just walk today, but go back and do the circuit he showed me tomorrow...I'm sure I'll still be sore then, but I figure it's worth the pain :) Good luck to you!
  • liner
    Options
    “If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”
    ― Martin Luther King Jr.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was at the point, one time, where I couldn't even sit on the toilet my body was so sore from working out (25mins!)! At that point I took a day and let my body heal, but got right back to it the next day. Just listen to your body! if it says 'no way' then listen, but remember, a little exercise is better than nothing and I PROMISE if you stick with it, it WILL get easier :-)

Oh yeah! This! First few days of 30 Day Shred, I asked DH to install a handicapped handrail next to the toilet! Kept at it every day, tho, and was glad I did. By day 4, pain was nearly gone.
  • Mbennison
    Options
    is it the first time you've done lunges/squats in a long time? They will make you SO sore at first! After a few times, you'll get use to them and it won't be nearly as bad. I wouldn't say you should more of them until you not quite so sore, but that doesn't mean do nothing. Stretch the muscles for sure. And try walking, running, or jumping jacks. Cardio will help work the legs a little without strickly concentrating on the area that hurt. That will help the soreness go away more quickly. Also, try doing some upper body stuff.

Also, just a warning, no matter what you do, when it comes to soreness, day 2 is usually worse than day 1. So don't get discouraged if it's worse tomorrow. It'll be much better by day 3. Keep up the good work!

It is the first time I have done ANY exercise in a long time! Not really proud of that but trying to change it now!
    I need to go and look at the workouts on the Wii Active again and see what other choices I have. Also trying to use the Wii Fit program. Really like the yoga!

Thanks all! I will get back at it in the morning and aim to do 5 minutes more than I did Monday! Baby Steps!
  • melissabell1984
    Options

Oh yeah! This! First few days of 30 Day Shred, I asked DH to install a handicapped handrail next to the toilet! Kept at it every day, tho, and was glad I did. By day 4, pain was nearly gone.

LOL I'm SO glad I'm not the only one! This is my second time around, I started on Sat and I was actually able to do Day 3! I was a little sore, but I did it, and have no pain today and felt really good doing Day 4! Perserverance pays off :-)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options
    I would suggest going for a walk for about 20-30 minutes and then do some stretching for the muscles that are stiff.