Loose skin / sagging man area

Options
So since I’ve lost weight my chest area is sagging a lot and yes I’m a man , but it’s making me very self conscious, it looks very deflated , would a compression shirt help me ?

Thanks all

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,512 Member
    Options
    How quickly have you lost, and how much?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    It takes some time for the skin to retract. It took a couple years for me. The faster the weight loss, the more noticeable it is I would think.

Are you doing any weight lifting? That would help.

I suppose a compression shirt would help the appearance while dressed. Go for it!
  • TonyNeedstolooseweight
    Options
    It takes some time for the skin to retract. It took a couple years for me. The faster the weight loss, the more noticeable it is I would think.

I suppose a compression shirt would help the appearance while dressed. Go for it!

Thanks a bunch , I’ll give it ago , I’ve lost the weight healthy , I’ve not rushed , just very very active over 2000 calories a day. Good advice and info
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options

Thanks a bunch , I’ll give it ago , I’ve lost the weight healthy , I’ve not rushed , just very very active over 2000 calories a day. Good advice and info

Sure. Well done, I would take a little deflation/loose skin any day over being over-weight!

I've used spandex for years...but maybe it's more common for women. I hope you feel better with a little help from spandex. Better living through technology, I say! :wink:
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,545 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Manzier?

jr5ii2o2ep2v.png

Seriously though, lift weights and time. Congrats on the loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It does take time for skin to retract. Up to two years. However if you have a lot to lose (usually over 80lbs), you're likely to end up with saggy skin regardless if you lost fast or slow. While weight lifting will help to expand muscle a bit, the amount of muscle someone would have to put on to compensate by filling in the lost fat might not be enough. Compression shirts help with keeping skin from flapping around, but does nothing to reduce or tighten skin (it's an organ). The only way to get rid of loose skin is by surgery, but I wouldn't consider it until well after you get to goal weight and wait at least 2 years to see how it retracts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    My experience also was that my loose skin kept shrinking into at least year 2 of maintenance (and maybe longer, as the rate of shrinkage slowed with time, so became less obvious). I only lost around 50 pounds, but for me that was a bit under 1/3 of body weight, from obese to mid-normal BMI.

Until most of the fat depletes from an area, the skin can't even really start shrinking much: The remaining fat conspires with gravity to keep the skin stretched.

Honestly, I've wondered myself if compression garments might help, at a certain point. I can think of arguments in both directions. I've had friends who used compression garments post-childbirth, and believe that it helped with their bodies returning to normal shape more quickly. The compression could counteract any effect of gravity on the mass of loose skin (even if little residual fat present), maybe. But in other cases, immobilizing body tissue doesn't help it do its normal things, and may even interfere.

As far as suggestions to minimize loose skin, here's what I think: Genetics matter, and likely age does, too. That's the hand we're dealt, and it's unpredictable and pretty much unchangeable.

Beyond that, like Niner said, skin is an organ. The things that keep other organs healthy will also tend to keep skin healthy, which means elastic and more willing to adjust. These include:

* if still losing weight, avoiding fast loss (because it's a physical stress to lose fast),
    * getting good well-rounded nutrition (macros and micros, especially but not exclusively protein),
    * getting regular exercise (both cardiovascular and strength),
    * managing all-source life stress,
    * hydrating adequately (not crazy much, but enough),
    * avoiding smoking and excessive alcohol,
    * specific to skin, also avoiding tanning.

People will say all kinds of things about creams, dry-brushing, supplements, etc., but personally I'm inclined to think those are mainly ways to pass the time while skin does pretty much what it was going to do anyway. Help a little? Maybe. Big help? I doubt it. But it can feel good to feel like we're doing *something*. Just my opinions, though.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    1. Vitamin E and Hair/Skin/Nails Vitamin with collagen. Collagen helps the skin with elasticity. These types of vitamins won't hurt and may help. I take a vitamin for hair and it also helps my skin.
    2. Use a good quality lotion for your skin--one with Vitamin E. Supple skin will have better elasticity. Some have collagen or other tightening aspects--but start with just a good quality one with Vitamin E.
    3. Weight curls/lifts--especially build-up arms and pecs.
    4. Time--2 years after full weight loss to see where you are.
    5. You can try compression--it won't hurt, but it might not help. Mixed reviews.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    So since I’ve lost weight my chest area is sagging a lot and yes I’m a man , but it’s making me very self conscious, it looks very deflated , would a compression shirt help me ?

I thought compression shirts were more about making the stomach area look slimmer. Suppose they might also help with moobs (gynecomastia) before fat loss?? After 120 lb loss on a 5'10" frame, I'd rather keep mine covered with a loose shirt and keep my belly flap tucked in. I've started to wear a swim shirt when at a public pool to hide the folds. To me, it is more of a body management issue than something to be concerned with.

Other management issues that need attention:
    - Protect the skin areas prone to chaffing before they get sore/infected. Especially if there is a lot of movement or moisture in that area. Spandex, as mentioned by @cmriverside, has proven to be a must for me as shorts to wear against the folds of my backside while on long motorcycle trips.
    - Get your rings resized before they fall off and are lost. I thought it was cool how loose my wedding ring got after not being able to get it off my finger for the last 25 years - until it slipped off a couple of times on it's own.
    - If you still wear a watch like I do, it is annoying to have it keep slipping up the forearm. Remove a link or two, or just buy a new band. My ring finger kept going numb for some odd reason until I realized it only happened when my watch was halfway up my forearm.
    - New belts can get expensive. You can extend the usefulness of the old ones by drilling new holes for the buckle and trimming the ends.
    - New clothes all the time are expensive too. I like wearing clothing that fits but am too cheap to buy a new wardrobe every few months. Thrift stores can be your friend for this. If you donate your oversized clothing (and keep the donation receipt) your clothing becomes tax deductible.

At almost 67 years old, I am not expecting a lot of muscle volume growth or skin shrinkage to make my loose skin go away. The trade off with being slimmer and healthier is one I'm happy to make. The loose skin is manageable.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    Little update , since i posted this , my chest seems to be shrinking , loose skin is minimal as well , i can run a lot easier without getting hit in the eye by a flapping man boob. Shrunk to the point where running is no longer a chore.

That's great to hear, Tony: Thank you for coming back to let us know the good news!

I'm betting there are more improvements yet to come, with the good work you've been doing. I wish it didn't take patience . . . but it does take patience, in addition to that "work" thing.

Best wishes!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I recall a post long ago from a man who wore a compression shirt and swore it worked for him. Can't hurt to try.