Exercise -- why, again?

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Oh and another real important point...........................men and women who exercise keep testosterone higher which leads to more libido and a better sex life. Low testosterone isn't good for the heart. Exercise is a direct reason why testosterone in higher in fit individuals that those who are sedentary.

very smarty pants indeed.
  • Keithtron
    Options
    The number you see when you get on a scale is not what's important. Your weight says absolutely nothing about your body composition.

I got serious about my diet/exercise regimen back in February, and over the past several months, the number on the scale hasn't changed very much. That's because I've been building muscle while cutting fat. I'm sure you've heard before that muscle weighs more than fat, and it's true. My weight hasn't gone down a lot, but I look and feel SOOOO much better. I've visibly lost a lot of fat, but you wouldn't know it if you looked at my overall scale-weight alone.

For example, let's compare 2 scenarios.... losing 5 pounds of fat VS losing 10 pounds of fat and putting on 5 pounds of muscle. In both cases, the number on the scale is the same, but which is better? (Rhetorical question, of course.)

If you want to test it, you could try the same thing, but measure your BMI in addition to your scale-weight. I'm confident you'll see a much greater BMI improvement when adding exercise.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I couldn't have done it by diet aline. I am small enough that to lose anything at all, even half a lb a week, I am on 1200 cals, and I did that for 4 months but it just wasn't sustainable for me. I was grumpy, freezing cold ALL the time and felt weak and hungry constantly, every waking moment. That isn't sustainable long term. If I do a lot of exercise I not only get more calories to play with, which stops me being a miserable *kitten*, but also makes me stronger and I feel so much better for that.

On top of which, I lost weight through diet alone 2 years ago, and gave up because my skin got all saggy and I looked ill, even though I was only just into healthy weight. With exercise, my skin has shrunk to fit me, and I look well.
  • LisaMarieee
    LisaMarieee Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    "Dieting makes you look good in clothes. Exercise makes you look good naked"

Good 'nuff for me.
    This! :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If your only goal is weight loss, that can be done wihout exercise.

But as to why exercise -

1. you will lose faster by burning calories during exercise and increasing your metabolism so that you burn more when not exercising
    2. regular exercise reduces your risk of most life threatening diseases
    3. if you have developed internal (visceral) fat around your organs (sometimes referred to as fatty liver disease), dieting alone may not get rid of it.
  • gertieblueboots
    Options
    That's why I love this place. Not only good answers, but like...a hundred million of them :)

I know all this stuff, of course...I think it's just that I haven't seen the need for it yet.

I suppose a better question might be "do I need to hit the gym and bust my butt?" I do pilates at home, and try to take a nightly walk for 30-60 minutes. Is that going to keep my heart and lungs and muscles happy? Because while I'd love to be cut like a DC hero, I don't want it bad enough to be at the gym all the time. I'm okay with being in shape and healthy, but I don't need rippling muscles. So is my current regime of walking and eastern exercise fads sufficient for a healthy body?
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    The short-term benefit of exercise is weight loss. But as you've seen you can lose weight without exercising.

The long-term benefit is better all around health. There is plenty of research that shows people who exercise are less likely to have conditions like heart disease when they are older if they exercise regularly. Unfortunately there is also research that shows even if you exercise every day but work a 40hr/week desk job, you don't have as many health benefits as people with less sedentary jobs.

It pretty much goes without saying that while you can get the short term benefits of exercise without having to exercise, you DEFINITELY can't get the long-term benefits with out actually doing it.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    How are you going to survive the Zombie Apocalypse if you don't exercise?
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I want to be able to outrun a zombie AND also prevent osteoporosis...

Osteoporosis-kyphosis_progression.jpg
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You can certainly lose weight by diet alone. I exercise because it lowers my blood pressure, lowers my cholesterol, makes me look better, adds to confidence, and makes me feel better. To each their own.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
  • edorice
    Options
    You can work it now or worry about it later...
    wicked-web.jpgarticle-1033850-01E61A1000000578-519_468x618.jpg
  • ttrotter1960
    Options
    I want to be able to outrun a zombie AND also prevent osteoporosis...

Osteoporosis-kyphosis_progression.jpg

LOL . . . . Are Zombies really a problem in your neighborhood?!?!?
  • edorice
    Options

Not yet, but I gotta be ready!!!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    If you lose weigh just by diet and not exercise you will be soft, with no tone.....do you really want that?
  • bcattoes
    Options

D*m skippy!! It's too late to start preparing after they are already here.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    It is true - you can lose weight without exercising, but is losing weight your only goal? I am trying to get healthy - and that means more than just the number on the scale - it has to do with quality of life.

Exercising strengthens your heart and lungs, helps moderate your blood pressure, helps control blood sugar, improves your metabolism, elevates mood, improves cognative function, increases flexibility, improves sexual performance, increases circulation, aids digestion, improves quality of sleep and increases endurance - and that's just for starters.

I don't do crazy workouts - most days I walk either outdoors or on a treadmill. I also do some gentle stretching and a bit of strength training with 2, 4 and 10 pound weights a couple of times a week - often while I'm watching a favorite TV show. I can personally attest to the listed benefits of getting exercise and I'm on the low end of the scale. It's worth the effort. Trust me.
  • ttrotter1960
    Options

LOL . . . ur cute!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    That's why I love this place. Not only good answers, but like...a hundred million of them :)

I know all this stuff, of course...I think it's just that I haven't seen the need for it yet.

I suppose a better question might be "do I need to hit the gym and bust my butt?" I do pilates at home, and try to take a nightly walk for 30-60 minutes. Is that going to keep my heart and lungs and muscles happy? Because while I'd love to be cut like a DC hero, I don't want it bad enough to be at the gym all the time. I'm okay with being in shape and healthy, but I don't need rippling muscles. So is my current regime of walking and eastern exercise fads sufficient for a healthy body?
    I might not be one of those a hundred millon who can give good answer, but that is exactly what I do: watch I eat with light exercise and stretches. I dont know if it's the best to MFP's common standard, but they make me happy, especially when I see my cute and toned belly. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

Yes.