Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dihydroberberine as a supplement

Options
dramaqueen45
dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
Anyone with any experience taking Dihydroberberine or Berberine? I'm seeing information that it is effective in reducing insulin resistance. I'm curious about it. I'm not a diabetic but I'm overweight and I'm seeing more and more information about the "weight loss drugs" - hence Oprah's recent loss - but how insurance often won't cover them unless you are obese and have another health risk such as high blood pressure. And even then I've heard of insurance companies requiring you to be on Weight Watchers for three months first (which, no surprise, Oprah owns part of). I have a BMI of 30 but I don't have any other health risks. Since I can't get the weight loss drugs, I'm considering using Berberine or Dihydroberberine, but was wondering if anyone in this community has had any experience with it. I know that I can lose weight and programs like this one or WW do work, but I'm just tired of gaining it back. I've been listening to the podcast called Plussidez and it is opening my eyes to the science behind why people struggle with weight loss and keeping it off. Thanks for any insight.

Replies

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,914 Member
    Options
    I took it for about a week for reasons other than weight loss. It's supposed to be good for so many things, many of which I'm concerned about. It lowered my appetite, an effect I didn't want, so I quit taking it. I imagine that's a good effect for most people who try it. I didn't have any bad effects in the short time I took it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Why not a modest calorie deficit and increased movement?

The Mayo Clinic isn't real high on Dihydroberberine

https://mcpress.mayoclinic.org/nutrition-fitness/berberine-is-a-promising-supplement-but-its-not-a-magical-weight-loss-solution/
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I take metformin which is the drug version of barbwrine and it has made a MASSIVE diff to my blood sugar levels which in turn, has affected my mood, sleep and appetite for sugar.

I went to the doctor after a year on it, and I lost 10 pounds without even knowing! It’s amazing.

I actually went on it for lowering my cholesterol because I think it was linked to sugar and that’s also worked but they say it has amazing anti-aging properties as well highly recommend
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue with supplements like this is that they aren't in any way regulated so you don't really know what you're actually getting or purity levels.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    My biggest issue with supplements like this is that they aren't in any way regulated so you don't really know what you're actually getting or purity levels.

There is actually quite a bit of regulation. (Although not nearly as much as for pharmaceuticals.) However, there are very little resources for enforcement. The end result is the same as the point you’re making.

I look for brands that have passed third-party testing on at least some of their products, so I can trust I’m getting what I’m supposed to be getting.

https://www.fda.gov/food/information-consumers-using-dietary-supplements/questions-and-answers-dietary-supplements