Over 40 and trying to lose weight

Options
Hello, my name is Sandra. I am 44 and had an especially stressful year in 2023. This cause me to pack on an extra 25 lbs. I lost about 9 lbs of this but am having a lot of trouble getting rid of the rest. I work out 5 days a week, walk 6-7 days a week and stretch on weekends. Does anyone have any nutrition or weight loss advice to help

Replies

• bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    My first question would be - are you keeping track of your foods in the journal? Exercise only helps so much - eating less is really key. Sometimes we think we are eating less- but unless you write it down, you don’t really know for sure. That has always been an important part of losing weight for me.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,830 Member
    Options
    If weight loss stopped suddenly then there’s a good chance you’re retaining water. If your weight hasn’t changed or has slowed to a crawl for 4-6 weeks then it’s a sign that your current weekly calories are too high for your goals.

Review your intake and find areas where you can cut back. The first places to look are liquid calories and highly processed foods.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me, stress (unconscious or conscious) drives my eating. Once my stress is more manageable, my desire for comfort eating lessens.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Counting calories and measuring portions.. also, being over 40 doesn’t matter.. I have 50 something’s out pacing me in the gym. It depends on lifestyle.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,773 Member
    Options
    Recent research suggests that metabolism per se is quite stable from around age 20 to age 60.**

For many of us, what changes as we age is that we:
    * Gradually lose muscle mass, because we don't continue to challenge our strength,
    * Slowly and subtly become less active in our daily life activity (less physical jobs, more sedentary social life, sometimes hiring out home chores, etc.)

Because of those things, we burn fewer calories than we did when younger. It doesn't take much: Moving 100 calories less, or eating 100 calories above our needs daily on average will add 10 pounds per year. It's easy to do that without even noticing. Gaining 25 pounds in a year means eating the daily excess calorie equivalent of maybe a moderate serving of peanut butter on a thin slice of hearty bread, or a medium-sized cookie, or even an extra dollup of rich salad dressing.

Both muscle loss and reduced movement are reversible, fortunately - completely under our control.

In addition, people who've done repeated extreme weight loss efforts can lose extra muscle mass from cutting calories very far, getting too little protein on reduced calories, doing intense cardio but no strength exercise. Once that gets too hard, it's common to regain all the weight (or more), mostly eating fats/carbs (still not enough protein), and not getting much exercise. In that scenario, the loss phase loses unnecessarily much useful muscle, and the regain phase adds back pounds of fat but no muscle. Sadly, that's a common scenario for weight loss attempts, though I have not idea whether it applies to you.

I lost weight at 59-60, while not just menopausal but also severely hypothyroid (properly medicated), just by getting my calorie intake under control. I've been at a healthy weight for 7+ years since, same way. I was already active (even while obese), so didn't really change exercise to lose weight. For me, it was all about managing my food intake. It can work.

I didn't adopt some radical new way of eating, just ate the same range of foods in different portions, proportions and frequencies to hit the right calorie level for sensibly gradual weight loss. This is pretty much what I did:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

That won't be perfect for everyone, because IMO no one strategy works universally, but it worked for me (and others here have been successful doing something similar), so it's one option to consider.

Best wishes - I'm cheering for you to succeed, because the results are very much worth it!

** https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8370708/
  • ssmith110979
    ssmith110979 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. Thanks for all the advice. It was definitely stress. Things calmed down and the weight literally fell off. I guess I’m either a stress eater or weight just wants to stay during stressful times