What are your favorite healthy meals that require little to no cooking

Options
I'm diabetic, have high blood pressure, and struggle with chronic pain and fatigue. I'm looking for the easiest healthy meals you can think of that aren't loaded with sodium. I don't have the budget for a meal service. Right now, I eat stuff like salad kits, low-sodium soup, whole wheat pasta, and Cheerios. I do have an air fryer. I sometimes make chicken and potatoes in that. I don't have the energy to do a weekend freezer meal routine. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Best Answers

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options
    I'm diabetic, have high blood pressure, and struggle with chronic pain and fatigue. I'm looking for the easiest healthy meals you can think of that aren't loaded with sodium. I don't have the budget for a meal service. Right now, I eat stuff like salad kits, low-sodium soup, whole wheat pasta, and Cheerios. I do have an air fryer. I sometimes make chicken and potatoes in that. I don't have the energy to do a weekend freezer meal routine. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Honestly? I love my air fryer. It's timed, easy, hot, and low effort.

I can throw in frozen shrimp with pepper and olive oil spray.
    I can throw in cut up baby potatoes with black pepper and olive oil spray.

I can roast broccoli in the air fryer. Mmm. RECIPE

Chicken Kabobs in Air Fryer. REcipe.

Shake N Bake Chicken in Air Fryer RECIPE

2 Ingredient Air Fryer Cauliflower with Parm Recipe

Buffalo Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings RECIPE

Air Fryer Carrots RECIPE

AIR FRYER MEXICAN PIZZA Recipe

AIR FRYER ONION RINGS Recipe

AIR FRYER TURKEY BURGERS (FROZEN) Recipe

AIR FRYER STEAK FAJITAS Recipe

These recipes are fairly easy and have minimal ingredients.
    But you can also throw any frozen food into an air fryer--if you have something low in sodium. Frozen unbreaded shrimp or chicken will usually work.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,107 Member
    Options
    Pork chops, chicken tenders, hamburger patties. Freeze individually. Bags of favorite frozen veggies.
    Put one piece of meat in fridge to thaw. When you get home, put in grill or frying pan, veggies in microwave. It'll all be almost done by the time you get out your plate, silverware, and drink.

One really good tip that I learned when I had chronic fatigue and still use.
    As you use food out of your fridge, pick one shelf or drawer that you keep emptying. When you put things back, put them on a different shelf. Then when you bring groceries home, just shove the whole bag in the empty spot. Rest a while. Then go back and sort the groceries when you are more rested. It's easier at the moment, but more important, easier all the time because things are organized.
    Bonus-you don't have to clean the fridge cause you keep cleaning one shelf at a time.
  • Fitgoal90
    Fitgoal90 Posts: 15 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    When I REALLY don't feel like cooking...

-Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip: Warm some Frozen Grilled Chicken (I use Tyson brand) in the microwave (or skip this step with a little diced Rotisserie Chicken). Add 2 Light Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges, some Hot Sauce, and a sprinkle or 3 of Ranch Seasoning. Stir and top with Low-Fat Cheddar. Microwave until heated. Serve with broccoli/veggies and choice of crackers.

-Easy Tuna Bowl: Cook Minute Rice (equal 1/4 cup water and 1/4 cup rice) and a pouch of Riced Cauliflower (easy to microwave/store in fridge for more meals during the week). In a bowl, mix the Minute Rice with 1/4 cup Riced Cauliflower and 1/2 can/pouch of Light Tuna. Microwave 30 seconds (1 min if using leftover Riced Cauliflower). Add a little Low-Sodium Soy Sauce and Sriracha Mayo (Kikkoman works fine). Mix and top with Avocado and Furikake (if desired). Scoop onto Roasted Seaweed (Gimme brand Sea Salt or Teriyaki are good). Sometimes I eat with a side of quick-steamed broccoli, but it's VERY filling without. YOU CAN DO 1/2 CUP MINUTE RICE IF YOU DON'T LIKE CAULIFLOWER.

-Easy Shrimp/Chicken Wrap: Heat Frozen Cooked Shrimp/Grilled Chicken in a skillet with a little seasoning of choice and a MIST of Oil/Pam Spray. Mix salad kit of choice. Put Salad and Shrimp/Chicken on a Spinach Tortilla. Enjoy with Baked Chips of your choice or Fruit.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    My "cooking" which is usually for my lunch is simple and quick, two or three inputs, and gets a decent amount of protein too:

- Poached eggs on toast.
    - Scrambled eggs on toast with a couple slices of turkey meat mixed in.
    - Oatmeal with all milk. I'm not one of those God forsaken heathens who have it with water.

Thankfully my wife does many of the dinners, however if I'm fending for myself then this:

- Chicken curry with Patak's sauce and rice. Aside from turning on the rice cooker, that's about 15 mins cooking time for two meals, a dinner and a future lunch.
    - Baked potato, scrambled egg and turkey sausage. Very filling.
  • bubbeE787
    bubbeE787 Posts: 34 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    hcrf4c4hzksd.jpeg
    My favorite healthy meal is so easy, full of protein and low in calories. It is a veggie egg white crustless quiche. I spray the pan edges with Pam;I sauté in a baking dish in the oven whatever fresh veggies I have in refrigerator ( this time onion, zucchini, tomato) in a bit of olive oil right and add some seasoning; once they are softened and browned- I pour in a quart container off egg whites and bake. You can add cheese - but honestly it doesn’t need it. ( mine doesn’t have). I cook until edges are browned and firm to touch. Voilà- a delicious entree for any meal!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,241 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don’t cook, so everything I eat is low/no cooking! I mostly eat a hodgepodge of frozen vegetables and meat microwaved with a little rice, pasta, or potatoes. I mix and match what sounds good, throw in a dollop of some kind of sauce or seasoning and microwave until it’s warm through. It’s not gourmet, but it offers a lot of variety, is economical and requires only the absolute bare minimum of time wasted in the kitchen.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Non Cooking Recipe. When you are having an okay day, you can mix this up and eat on it for about 3 days. It's protein and veggies. Low salt. Low sugar. Tasty.

VEG CAVIAR
    • 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained
    • 1 (15.5 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
    • Either 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained, OR cut up some grape or cherry tomatoes. The Grape/Cherry are sweetier. The can is easier. Either/Or.
    • 1 can sweet corn, drained.
    • 1/2 to 1 whole medium onion, diced
    • 1/2 to 1 whole medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
    • ½ cup chopped pickled jalapeño peppers
    • *** I will often cheat and buy the precut onions and peppers in the Kroger Produce section. It's quicker and less work. If you do this, it is much less work.

SEASONING
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon sea salt
    ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DRESSING
    1 cup zesty Italian salad dressing --regular or lite.

OPTIONAL:
    2 Tablespoons of Lime or Lemon Juice
    Tortilla Chips
    1 Avocado

HOW TO
    STEP 1
    Mix up the dry seasoning in a little bowl and set it aside.

STEP 2:
    • Drain all the canned items and put them in an empty, big bowl.
    • Dump in precut veggies, beans, and tomatoes.
    • Mix.

STEP 3
    • Pour the Zesty Italian dressing (non-creamy) into the DRY SEASONING blend and mix completely
    • Add two tablespoons of lemon or lime juice (optional).
    • Mix

STEP 4
    • Once mixed, pour it into the bowl of veggies/beans/tomatoes.
    • Mix.

STEP 5
    • Refrigerate at least 4 hours.

Eat.

It's good for about 3 days.

SERVE WITH:
    Some people serve with avocado or tortilla chips --or even both. You can also eat it stand alone. It makes a good quick snack or a side dish.

Answers