LESS Alcohol ~ January 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Options

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,605 Member
    Options
    Pokey4321 wrote: »
    Well nice to be back. Holidays were mixed. About half between Thanksgiving and New Year were AF. The Holiday period for me ends 1 January which is also my wife's birthday. We had house full of kids-grandkids and friends. I did most of the cooking News Years Eve, and was quite a feast (unhealthy) and all. Coupled with watching Michigan play in the CFP and score a nice win. 2023 was not a great year. Lost my father who was a great guy. My sisters and I were comforted he lived a long happy life....his way. For 2024 I mostly just don't want to drink. I turn 60 this year in July. I'd like to get to a healthy weight by then. This could also be my last year working full time. Financially I could be ready to retire full time in November, but per a couple of classes I took, I have not fully figured out what I would do with those 50 free hours Monday-Friday of suddenly free time. If you don't have a plan, it's a danger zone for drinkers. So 2024 for me is all about figuring out a plan for my post work life.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. Some years just deserve to have the door hit them on the butt when it’s slammed on them!

You’re smart to start thinking about this now, especially if you dread the idea of sitting around all day drinking. Retirement also doesn’t mean you never work again, you could consult or work in a field part time that interests you. I hope you find what keeps your mind and body engaged post retirement. There is a Facebook group called Retire and Rewire that is full of people contemplating retiring with the big “now what” question looming over their heads.
  • Womona
    Options
    I paid $20 for a month of DALL-E just so I could make a Dry January logo. Here's what I got:

ranhaslamsa3.png

I like it! Looks very official.
  • Womona
    Options
    @SunnyDays930 sorry to hear your wonderful trip was marred by Covid. Hope you are feeling better!

@MissMay, that sucks that the job is sucking the life out of you. Nothing worse than dreading going to work. Hope you find something that is better for you. Hugs!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Great to see so much energy from this group!

No alcohol YTD. Been mostly AF over 2 months and it's nice and somewhat powerful to not think about drinking. I quit the micro-counting and have no desire to drink. Now my "thing" is a small glass of red grapefruit juice at night.

@Womona glad you mentioned soup because I find it quite comforting in the winter and good for weight loss and so filling. A cup or two of a good brothy lower-sodium soup is a great substitute for than 5pm wine call. I made an asian soup last night with ginger, garlic, shrimp and vegetables.

Goal is to make the next 12 hours successful and happy. Taking it day by day.