Half Marathon: Goodbye to the old me

Options
helenium
helenium Posts: 546 Member
Hope you're all having a good day! I thought I'd share my most recent running NSV with you, to motivate those of you who will appreciate the story :) apologies for its length - you can skip to the pictures :)

Quick background: at 5'4" I started starving myself at 191 lbs to try and lose weight. This was horrible and I switched to healthy eating and calorie counting as a last resort. I wish it had been my first resort! As MFP taught me about the dangers of eating nothing, and how to lose weight successfully, I began running (first run 26/03/2011).

You may want to know what I looked like. Here are photos of me hovering around 180 (I tended to avoid the camera, so unfortunately no pictures above this weight):

ZBNJwt7Z

y1LNSM8a

What I didn't realise is that running stops hurting when you get good at it. I entered a 5K, but realised within a few weeks that was too easy a challenge. Once I was doing 10K runs, the slightly crazy side of my brain decided I should enter a half-marathon. My MFP friends didn't stop me - by the next morning I had committed myself to a half marathon 3 months later.

The 5K came and went, and I finished in 34:29 (unfortunately the race organisers didn't deduct the time it took for me to reach the start line, so in reality I would have run it in 33:17 by my estimations - however, that wasn't official!). It wasn't easy. During the 5K, I had doubts about the half-marathon. I was pushing myself hard, and didn't think I could cope with over four times the distance. Was I going to bottle out?

Doubts increased - I kept bottling out of runs over 15K, and I got a massive mental block between the 5K and the half marathon. I was saying things out loud about how I wasn't sure I was capable. I turned to my MFP friends for help. They did point out to me that I should be rehydrating with a sports drink, not pure water, so I went out for a 17 km run armed with Powerade. It turned out that was the change I needed to overcome the mental block!

My long runs extended once I got over the psychological hurdle of doubting myself. 17K. My final long run was 19.8K, in torrential rain, 3 weeks before the race. Perfect. No more doubts about managing the half marathon now!

Apart from a bad cough after this point which took me out of action for 12 days, nothing major caused me to doubt my ability after that. The day before the half marathon, having tapered, I felt a kind of quiet confidence in myself, which is not something I'm used to.

The logistics of the half marathon turned out to be quite simple, and a couple of my friends arrived at the start - poor things, out in the middle of London bleary eyed at 8:30 in the morning to cheer a friend - and calmed the small nerves I was getting. Then I turned my back on them and headed to the pens.

After a nerve-wracking wait while the elite runners and pretty good runners cross the start line (the kind of wait where you just want to get started already), I was off. I tried to make certain everyone was overtaking me, as I'd signed up for a sub-2:30 wave, and I was actually aiming for under 3 hours.

Reached the 3 mile mark 3 minutes earlier than I wanted to at 33:30. Damn! I had started out too fast despite all my preparation not to, and probably broken my 5K record. Still, I felt strong, and relaxed my pace to take the next 3 miles more gently. I passed the 6 mile mark in a more sensible time for my ability, at 1:16. Most of the hills had been conquered by this point!

A pigeon flew in my face at the 8 mile mark, which gave me an awful shock, even though it was mainly the pigeon's wing hitting my nose and dirtying the edge of my glasses. I was determined not to be overcome by a startled pigeon ruining my rhythm, however. I passed the 9 mile mark. I didn't even notice the 10 mile mark, but then I realised I had drunk too much liquid, and I felt like I was sloshing as I ran. Pain. Once I reached the 11 mile mark, I was struggling.

Downhill! Picked up my pace. Carried on at the faster pace after reaching level ground. Quickly tired myself out, and felt a bit stupid. I took a 20 second walking break, then kept... going... one leg in front of the other... repeat...

12 miles. Everyone around me was walking. I ran, albeit slowly and with aching legs.

750 m to go. Less than half a mile!

500 m to go. That felt like half a mile, darn it!

250 m to go. That passed surprisingly quickly...

Finish line: I spot the majority of my friends in the crowd. Call out to them, "Almost there!" and concentrate on reaching that finish line. CROSS THE FINISH LINE. You can stop running now. No, stop running. Stop... ah, that's it. Don't fall over.

The rest of the day was spent celebrating with my wonderful friends who witnessed me leave Fat Lazy Helen behind me. Thanks to them for supporting my journey (including one of them recently joined on here - you know who you are!) and thanks to my MFP friends for not telling me I'm silly for considering a half marathon and helping me over my mental block!

Final time 2:44:30. Also, here I am being made to run by a friend so she can take a picture of me in a running pose:

UgN4xC8m

Thanks for listening!

Replies

• irisherin82
    irisherin82 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    So exciting! Way to go! I have a 5K coming up in Nov, and I'm hoping to be able to run the entire thing. Last year I ran, walked, ran, walked and so forth. If I can get through the 5k, I expect there to be more in my future. And hopefully move onto a 10K. I'm not so sure about a half marathon... but I'd love to say I was able to run a marathon.

Over how long did you lose the weight? Congrats again!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So exciting! Way to go! I have a 5K coming up in Nov, and I'm hoping to be able to run the entire thing. Last year I ran, walked, ran, walked and so forth. If I can get through the 5k, I expect there to be more in my future. And hopefully move onto a 10K. I'm not so sure about a half marathon... but I'd love to say I was able to run a marathon.

Over how long did you lose the weight? Congrats again!

I hope you manage to run the whole way! It's just a case of not starting out too fast (unlike me) and keeping up your motivation. Keep practising long run stretches and try not to do anything new on race day (it should be just like rehearsals!). I know you're not so sure about a half marathon, but as 5Ks become "easy" and 10Ks become "comfortably doable" you may be surprised how much your perspective changes... I hope you set yourself that challenge one day!

I lost 52 pounds over 10 months losing about 1.3 lbs a week and I am now 139 lbs :)
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    great job. How long didi it take you to lose the weight?
  • reander
    reander Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Helen, you're such an inspiration. You've come such a long way and you look totally fab btw! Full marathon next? :tongue:
  • blarics11
    Options
    Congrats!!!! that is an amazing accomplishment! and you look wonderful to by the way :)
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    got it. Well done
  • sjostrich
    sjostrich Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    So awesome! I did the Run to the Beat half also! Once you accept that running is just as much mental as it is physical, you can do anything! Well done :D
  • maxiechild
    maxiechild Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! thanks for this x
  • sissamae
    sissamae Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    A very inspiring story! I am planning on starting to run next week. I am going to work my way up to a 5K. I have never been a runner, but love the way I feel after I exercise and think this will be a good challenge for me! Thanks for sharing!
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    That is wonderful...you look amazing Helen.
  • techymum
    Options
    COngratulations!!! I absorbed every word you wrote about your experience. It is because of people like you that I have been inspired to believe in myself, to train and imagine that I could run a 5k, and to dare to dream that a 10k is in my future!
  • allisshiney
    allisshiney Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    What a great experience! I just ran my 1st 1/2 too and it was awesome. Keep up the training!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Talk about inspiration! Excellent story to share and I will follow in your footsteps!
    Thanks for sharing
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! YOU and the story. .... thanks for a wonderful half marathon....(oops on the triple post....don't know what happened.)

:flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I'm a dork
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :ohwell:
  • karencalleja
    karencalleja Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Wow Helen first of all congratulations on finishing the half marathon but I had no doubt about that - well done :). But secondly wow wow you look fantastic in that photo at the finish line - you are an inspiration to all of us - well done and keep it up - Karen xx
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    What a great story, thanks for sharing.
    It's great timing for me as I've made it through a 12k race in August and have now started training for a half marathon in February.
    I know I can run 12k quite comfortably (I'm very slow but I can do the distance!) but I'm getting nervous about my ability to cope with the longer runs. Your story gives me comfort and hope.... lets see if I can post my HM story in February!
  • breezad
    breezad Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    good on you. wat a great story!!! i love that! i was considering a half amrathon but thoguht i could never make it!!!
    \thanks for the motivation! x
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!