ralexander53
ralexander53 Posts: 6 Member
Can the recipes be set to vegan only

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    What recipes?

The only recipes in my diary are the ones I created, so I have complete control what I put in them.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    If you are referring to the recipes on the blog, I'm unfamiliar with all options on that page because I usually never go there, but I just tried a search for 'vegan' and it had quite a few recipes come up.
  • kellimichelle777
    kellimichelle777 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wish the recipes on the blog had them logged in Gram value cooked
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options

grams cooked makes no sense because cooking changes the weight of food, and this can differ quite a lot depending on how you cook it. Rice and pasta absorb water, meat loses water, some fat and sometimes protein, etc. A small change in preparing, slightly different brand, different thickness, etc all play into this. Plus how would a recipe work that tells you to prepare for example 200gr cooked rice or 100gr chicken thigh. How much do you need to use to get there?
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

grams cooked makes no sense because cooking changes the weight of food, and this can differ quite a lot depending on how you cook it. Rice and pasta absorb water, meat loses water, some fat and sometimes protein, etc. A small change in preparing, slightly different brand, different thickness, etc all play into this. Plus how would a recipe work that tells you to prepare for example 200gr cooked rice or 100gr chicken thigh. How much do you need to use to get there?

I'm not sure, but I think @kellimichelle777 was wishing for an analysis of the final product in terms of macros. She might mean simply the caloric value per gram of final product, but that information already seems to be there. I have been using MFP for several years, and I've never used their recipes, but I just randomly had a look in the blog. The recipe I clicked on did have values per gram, so to speak, at the bottom:

k8cxbqlu6bgw.png

To log this as a per gram of final product, you'd have to go to the recipe section and enter the URL of the recipe (in this case https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/cast-iron-vegetarian-tamale-pie/). Then you can save it to your own recipes, and then when you log it in your diary you select the serving size of one gram (instead of the published 185 grams) and log however many grams you ate. I do that with recipes of my own. I just had to edit one because I obtained a new cast iron cornbread stick pan, so one batch now makes 30 servings instead of 22. I also have changed the recipe over the years, so I updated that. It's now current, so when I log one piece, it's one piece. Sweet stuff.

As far as the OP's question: @ralexander53 - If you are in fact talking about recipes on the blog from the main MFP page, yes you can do a keyword search. I entered "vegan" and it spit out a bunch of recipes. They didn't have any that included gochujang though.