Need to lose weight

Options
Hi I’m, 40 years old and starting my fitness journey all over again after years of my weight, fluctuating up and down, not knowing if I may have PCOS, and now it is hard for me to lose weight, but I have been working out for at least four weeks and I definitely need an accountability partner. my goal is to lose 50 pounds long-term and my short-term goal is to lose 25 pounds.

Replies

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,674 Member
    Options
    It might be helpful to set a short term goal of, say, 5-10 pounds... a goal you could reasonably reach in a couple weeks to a month, which would help break down the ultimate 50 pound goal into more bite size pieces that you can readily accomplish, then move on to the next 5 pounds. When I was losing weight I set a short term goal of 1-2 pounds each week. So each week got to be a fresh 1 pound goal rather than overwhelming myself with the whole amount.
  • ErikaC1725
    ErikaC1725 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I’m almost 39 and looking to lose 60 pounds. My first goal is to be under 200 (so 20 pounds). I could use some accountability!!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    ErikaC1725 wrote: »
    I’m almost 39 and looking to lose 60 pounds. My first goal is to be under 200 (so 20 pounds). I could use some accountability!!

Be accountable to yourself. That's all that matters.

Track everything you eat or drink. Track honestly and completely.

Weigh regularly. Daily if you can manage. Don't stress the number. Instead use a spreadsheet or online tool to look at your rolling average (seven to ten days). Don't quit. Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day, just get started again right away. Not tomorrow. Now.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    As me as a friend, I'm hoping to lose some more weight this year. I'm heading for 40 and have to fit my food and workouts round full time work and family commitments, let's motivate and support each other!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,478 Member
    edited January 4
    Options
    To be honest, an accountability partner is fine. Don't know how effective a random person on the Internet would be though.

IMO, we need a strong, long-term why. One of my favorite trainers, Dan John says his why is he want to dance with his granddaughter at her wedding. Dan in in his mid-60's, his granddaughter is 1 year old. Do the math and he is saying his why is to be active and mobile when he's 90.

That is strong stuff.
  • tiggermom246
    tiggermom246 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with accountability partner whether in person or online it helps to know that you are there to push someone and someone is there to push you and together whether with one or more people you feel like you are not alone. Everyone struggles or has questions through our journeys and having someone who can relate or even just be a support really helps. I had an accountability partner when I first lost weight years ago but I am starting from scratch at 46 and not as easy as when I was younger. I would love to pair up I am just starting out and haven’t introduced any exercise yet except going for walk. Reach out if interested
  • vlynn7590
    vlynn7590 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’m 40 too and starting over and my height 5’0.. about 155.. I’m looking to lose 25 lbs to get to 130lb ( Its literally been 10 YEARS since Ive been that weight!) . I’m going to try going low carb high protein, along with working out, and a 16 hour fast.. Keeping calories to 1200. Definitely looking to see what people are eating and if its successful. I just started as of this week based on my eating I’m on track to lose 8LBs in 5 weeks. In addition Ive added Maganesium Glycinate to nighttime regimen. Fish oil, vitamin D, prenatal for the daytime. Ive always noticed men drop weight so quickly vs Women and I think a lot has to do with regulating hormones along with sugar levels.