“Bad” foods?

Options

Answers

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,263 Member
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    There are in fact bad foods.

I remember A table-size sentient Blancmange from planet Skyron of the Andromeda Galaxy that would eat people. Scary stuff! There's also some poisonous mushrooms, like Amanita phalloides, that you should absolutely never ever eat! That doesn't make them bad, though. They don't really want to kill you like the blancmange.

Oh my good merciful heavens. You just made me laugh loudly and hysterically in a very public place.

We're similar in age, and you might actually remember the Blancmange.

Another example, perhaps, of "Bad Food." It's Gracie Allen's recipe for cooking a roast beef. It's simple: Get a large roast and a small roast and put them in the oven. When the small roast is burned, the big one is done.

And now for something completely different....
  • chrissy12081
    chrissy12081 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I want something "bad" I measure or weigh it and enjoy it at end of meal so I don't overeat it and don't feel bad about eating it
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    There are in fact bad foods.

I remember A table-size sentient Blancmange from planet Skyron of the Andromeda Galaxy that would eat people. Scary stuff! There's also some poisonous mushrooms, like Amanita phalloides, that you should absolutely never ever eat! That doesn't make them bad, though. They don't really want to kill you like the blancmange.

Oh my good merciful heavens. You just made me laugh loudly and hysterically in a very public place.

We're similar in age, and you might actually remember the Blancmange.

Another example, perhaps, of "Bad Food." It's Gracie Allen's recipe for cooking a roast beef. It's simple: Get a large roast and a small roast and put them in the oven. When the small roast is burned, the big one is done.

And now for something completely different....

lol. At aquafit yesterday, the old possums kept asking the new instructor’s name.

Gracie

Tracy?

Gracie.

Macy?

Gracie!

She was getting gently frustrated (she’s such a doll), so I turned around and yelled “Gracie! Like Steve Allen!”

Ohhhhhhh and not a problem since.

Grey headed possum solution.

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    edited January 3
    Options
    It's basically about context and dosage. The context is based on the health status of the individual, and where nutrients will effect people positively and negatively. I will go out on a limb and say the "Standard American Diet" is not healthy for the vast majority of people.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Only food that's really bad is rotten food. :D

Ideally, you want to eat whole foods as much as you can and moderate others. One thing I've been staying away from more is processed meats (lol, except SPAM) a lot more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Only food that's really bad is rotten food. :D

Ideally, you want to eat whole foods as much as you can and moderate others. One thing I've been staying away from more is processed meats (lol, except SPAM) a lot more.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Unless you’re making jelly from medlars, in which case you need to let them blet (start to go rotten) 😀

And for all those who are unsure about haggis; it’s the food of the gods. Particularly when served with neeps and tatties 🤤
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    glassyo wrote: »
    I would totally eat beans on toast. Lord knows, I tried fish fingers and custard because of Doctor Who :)
    LOL. Although... that's not actually a thing though. It was made up for the show. You're brave to try it! Next up, haggis! Unless you're in the US, where it is illegal. I'm being serious.

Yeah I realized later that PB is a lot more fat than carbs, still my overall point stands :-)

Haggies is totally delicious! Nothing to be afraid off, unless you really don't dare to try offal. Which still is a bit odd as haggis is basically a meatloaf with much more tasty meat than usual and some oats and a small amount of spices. Damn, I want haggis now! (on that note, I also want Haggis and cracked black pepper crisps even though it tastes nothing like haggis)

@Retroguy2000 @yirara i love haggis!! Every time I’m in Scotland .. I have a few places in Edinburgh and in the highlands I have to order it. I’ve tried to make it in the US.. I can get all the ingredients from my butcher except for lung. Though, my family has always made offal. Someone needs to make a haggis thread. ☺️
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,402 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    I would totally eat beans on toast. Lord knows, I tried fish fingers and custard because of Doctor Who :)
    LOL. Although... that's not actually a thing though. It was made up for the show. You're brave to try it! Next up, haggis! Unless you're in the US, where it is illegal. I'm being serious.

Yeah I realized later that PB is a lot more fat than carbs, still my overall point stands :-)

Haggies is totally delicious! Nothing to be afraid off, unless you really don't dare to try offal. Which still is a bit odd as haggis is basically a meatloaf with much more tasty meat than usual and some oats and a small amount of spices. Damn, I want haggis now! (on that note, I also want Haggis and cracked black pepper crisps even though it tastes nothing like haggis)

@Retroguy2000 @yirara i love haggis!! Every time I’m in Scotland .. I have a few places in Edinburgh and in the highlands I have to order it. I’ve tried to make it in the US.. I can get all the ingredients from my butcher except for lung. Though, my family has always made offal. Someone needs to make a haggis thread. ☺️

Aww, bless! I wish I could get haggis here. And neeps, but they aren't a thing here either.
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Aww, bless! I wish I could get haggis here. And neeps, but they aren't a thing here either.
    You can? They're called rutabaga here.

Aside, I used to wonder why the US didn't have courgettes. Then I found out they're called zucchini here.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is very bad! Its smell is just diguisting, and what for? A massive amount of calories! 🤢

*munches on spoon of peanut butter while reading this* What are you trying to say, exactly?

Look at my food diary (open to the public), and I enjoy peanut butter multiple times per week. Granted, I'm trying to slowly gain weight (unlike the vast majority of MFP members), but I grew up on PBJ's as a kid yet graduated school underweight. And you're gonna have to arm wrestle me to take away my Reese's Pieces!
  • claireychn074
    Options

Aside, I used to wonder why the US didn't have courgettes. Then I found out they're called zucchini here.
    Isn’t a rutabaga a Swede rather than a turnip? I’m not entirely sure but I have a feeling it’s Swede…?
  • claireychn074
    Options

And when I visited the US I had to ask for my food to be free from coriander, which caused much confusion. I didn’t realise it’s called cilantro in the US!
  • yirara
    edited January 3
    Options

No, they just don't exist here, either swede nor turnips. I can get kohlrabi, but the taste is just completely different. :(
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options

Isn’t a rutabaga a Swede rather than a turnip? I’m not entirely sure but I have a feeling it’s Swede…?

It's a little confusing. IMU, the "swede" terminology shifts around a bit in dialects, as does "neep". In some dialects, a rutabaga is a swede, as is a neep. In others, some of those terms can refer to "white turnips", vs. "yellow turnips" (the latter rutabagas).

And when I visited the US I had to ask for my food to be free from coriander, which caused much confusion. I didn’t realise it’s called cilantro in the US!

In the US, cilantro is usually the term used for the leaves/flowers when used in cooking. Coriander is the seeds.
  • claireychn074
    Options

[/quote]

In the US, cilantro is usually the term used for the leaves/flowers when used in cooking. Coriander is the seeds.
    [/quote]

Oo now I didn’t know that!
  • Lildarlinz
    Lildarlinz Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I like to think of it as “in moderation”

I mean they say fruit is good for you…but too much is no good for the teeth
    There are foods with empty calories…

Chocolate isn’t exactly bad for you…it is if you eat a whole bar because it’s likes 600 calories…where as you could make a meal for 1/2 the calories and will fill you up for longer :)

I don’t think there is a bad food… just we can’t have too much of it in one sitting :)
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    edited January 4
    Options
    My daughter was shocked when she went shopping for celery in Germany. The little she could find was only leafy ends. They didn’t eat the stalks and couldn’t conceive of the notion she wanted to put some in soup.

That was only ten years ago. Now she can find “normal” celery bunches pretty easily in grocery stores.

Back in the early 2000’s I’d ship instant oatmeal to an American friend in Berlin. She said when she asked for oats in a shop, the clerk got very sniffy and told her “Oats are for horses. Not people.” Now oats are available, too.

Another vote for haggis here.

But beans on toast? I’d rather go without a meal than have wet bread. Solid NO here. And sorry yall, but bacon anywhere in Europe or Canada just sucks. Ironic, since the best tasting bacon I’ve found lately has come from American Lidl.

• yirara
    Options
    My daughter was shocked when she went shopping for celery in Germany. The little she could find was only leafy ends. They didn’t eat the stalks and couldn’t conceive of the notion she wanted to put some in soup.

That was only ten years ago. Now she can find “normal” celery bunches pretty easily in grocery stores.

Back in the early 2000’s I’d ship instant oatmeal to an American friend in Berlin. She said when she asked for oats in a shop, the clerk got very sniffy and told her “Oats are for horses. Not people.” Now oats are available, too.

But beans on toast? I’d rather go without a meal than have wet bread. Solid NO here. And sorry yall, but bacon anywhere in Europe or Canada just sucks. Ironic, since the best tasting bacon I’ve found lately has come from American Lidl.

I have no problem with beans. But I do have issues with toast. Most British supermarket bread is just miserable, and toast even worse. Now give me a thick slice of artisan bread that I can dip into beans 😻
  • claireychn074
    Options

I have no problem with beans. But I do have issues with toast. Most British supermarket bread is just miserable, and toast even worse. Now give me a thick slice of artisan bread that I can dip into beans 😻
    I am British but I have to side with the people that says beans on toast is disgusting. A bowl of beans with crunchy fresh bakery toast on the side (not the supermarket yakky stuff) with a good covering of butter, is absolutely delicious. Banish the soggy bread!

And I’m sorry but I do like a good crunchy peanut butter (like the Whole Earth salted one), spread on thick toasted granary bread and topped with a sliced banana. Perfect food to fuel a long walk in the cold and wet with the dog 😀
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    I like baked beans on toast.

(hides in corner) 😳