Weight Loss / Lifestyle Change Part 2

Curt0959
Curt0959 Posts: 14 Member
Well I’m back but now I’m 64 y.o.! Whereas I lost 40 lbs. in 2023, I fell very short for obtaining my goal weight. I now have 40 lbs. more to lose in 2024 and recognize this will be the biggest challenge in my weight loss journey (next to learning how to keep it off)! I do now fully appreciate this is more than dieting I must develop a lifestyle!

I’m interested in supporting anyone who may be in a similar position that I am and would care to join me at this point in my weight loss journey!

Replies

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    Maintaining is tough business.

Well, not that tough. It's exactly the same as weight loss, but you get to eat a few more calories each day. Many people, perhaps most, gain some or all of their weight back because the transition to maintenance is a challenge.

That's why it's so important that you choose weight loss strategies that you'll be able to stick with long-term. Like you wrote, you need to develop habits and a lifestyle that supports your goals. If losing weight is just something you do once and then go "back to normal," you will likely "go back to normal."

So I'll ask what specific goals you're setting for yourself and what strategies will you use to assure you meet your goals? Only you can hold yourself accountable, and MFP is a great tool to use as you already know.

You can do it, just don't quit. Stick to it. If you have a bad day, don't consider it a failure. It's a lesson. Then get right back after it. Don't wait until next week or even tomorrow. Start again NOW.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    You didn’t fall short. You succeeded to the tune of 40 pounds. That’s more than 95% of people here will achieve and maintain

You’ve also learned new habits in order to maintain that 40 pound loss.

Instead of beating yourself up for what you “don’t” achieve, fine tune your habits and go for the next forty.

Think how much better you feel than a year ago today and thank yourself for the change so far.
  • Curt0959
    edited January 3
    @ mtaratoot Thank You! Happy New Year!

My specific goals are:

1. Maintain consistency with logging my calorie intake,
    2. Reduce alcohol to a 2 drink maximum, no more than 3x per week (and stick to low carb beer).
    3. Exercise 5 days per week, achieving no less than 15K steps per day.
    4. Engage in an 18 hr./6 hr. intermittent fasting regiment, a minimum of 5 days per week .
    5. Sincerely strive to keep my carbs low while never exceeding 100 carbs per day and (until I reach my goal weight) never exceed 1300 calories per day.
  • Curt0959
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/profile/1008025469/springlering62

Thank You! Your statements are 100% correct. I sincerely appreciate your input! Happy New year!
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,929 Member
    Curt0959 wrote: »
    @ mtaratoot Thank You! Happy New Year!

My specific goals are:

1. Maintain consistency with logging my calorie intake,
    2. Reduce alcohol to a 2 drink maximum, no more than 3x per week (and stick to low carb beer).
    3. Exercise 5 days per week, achieving no less than 15K steps per day.
    4. Engage in an 18 hr./6 hr. intermittent fasting regiment, a minimum of 5 days per week .
    5. Sincerely strive to keep my carbs low while never exceeding 100 carbs per day and (until I reach my goal weight) never exceed 1300 calories per day.

I would encourage you to rethink that 1300 calorie goal. The lowest goal that MFP suggests for men is 1500 calories. There's lots of reasons for that. Aside from extreme hunger making you give up, it can cause your body to consume itself for fuel.

What is your height and current weight, and how did you settle on 1300 calories as a goal?

Also, if you are adding 15,000 steps per day AND exercising several days a week, you'll want to eat back all those EXTRA calories over and above your base goal.

A really good place to play around with calorie intake goals and activity levels is https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/.

Please take care of yourself.