Just Give Me 10 Days - Round 246

Options

Replies

• CamandJarvis
    CamandJarvis Posts: 2,042 Member
    Options
    By the way if any of you are runners and signed up for Run the Year I have a team open to all!

Tell me more, please! I'm training up for my first 10k (April 28th) and I have my first trail run (5k, June 1) and an annual run in November (unsure if 5k or 10k, depends on how April goes).
    @Comandjarvis Keep me in the runner's loop, please. My strategy, perhaps faulty, is to lose the majority of weight first (another 30 lbs. or so) and then start my 5K training (June). I could train as I go, but thought the extra weight would be hard on my knees.

Absolutely! I trained for my 5k last year using an app called "Just Run: Zero to 5K" (a little green icon with a white and green shoe) and it has both a zero to 5k program as well as a 5k to 10k program which I'm hoping to start next week. I ended up getting my first personal record on the 5k using this app (plus the hills around my house). My previous PR was prior to breaking my back and having a spinal fusion so it's a really huge deal for me to not only build up to 5k after all that trauma but to beat my time from when I was in the Army! I was never a runner (likely because I was told to do it) but I'm learning to love it more now that I'm not forced to do it.

Currently I'm trying the app called "Joggo" and it is the absolute worst thing I have ever done. I signed up on a promo that says if I can run 26.2 miles during my subscription, I get my money back (the only reason I bothered since I knew I was training up to a 10k I'd be running a lot). As of Friday afternoon, I only needed 3.6 miles to complete that and apply for money back, which I'm set to do this week. I cannot recommend enough to avoid that app like the plague!