Looking for Low carbing friends, for help and support!!!

Options
I am really having a hard time with my ife style change to low carb. Im running out of ideas on what to eat! I am the only one in my family doing it so i am constantly around carbs. So basicly I need support! Feel free to add me if you like!

-Jex

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com :D

she has a section JUST for low carb!!!
  • shadowfx
    Options
    Hiya, sent you a friend request - we're on the same path I have a similar problem, my menfolk are big carb eaters so I have to make sure I plan carefully in preparing meals. One trick I found is to prepare and eat my own low-carb meal before I start on preparing theirs...... means I'm not picking as I go because I'm not hungry.

Are you differentiating between Low carb and Low GI?
  • LovingMe19
    LovingMe19 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Im on a low carb diet, feel free to friend me if you'd like :)
  • markyswife
    Options
    I'm trying to back off the carbs, too. My daughter has been diagnosed as pre-diabetic. We both have a BMI of 38 and I am going to help her get out of the danger area by eating the way she's supposed eat. It is very hard when others around you eat whatever they want. I'm right there with you.
  • Jex_7
    Jex_7 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am just counting my carb intake and subtracting fiber and sugar alcohol
  • ASUAlumniMamaof2
    Options
    I'm on the low carb plan... no more than 10 carbs per meal... not to exceed 40 per day.

Makes eating a challenge since carbs seem to be in everything!

Feel free to add me. :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Check out Linda's low carb recipes...........every single recipe I have tried from her site is awesome!!!

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

Sugar Free Sheila is another GREAT website and she is just as cute as she can be. She lost her weight on Atkins and has been maintaining for nearly 10 years now. And she looks WOWZER HAWT!!!!!

http://www.sugarfreesheila.com/

I am working on my blog to get a domain name so I can create website to put my own recipes and such on.

My favorite recipe right now since the weather is changing is Pumpkin sausage soup.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    try marksdailyapple.com
  • barbarabo
    Options
    I am trying to watch my carbs too. It can be realy challenging. I have done this before and this time seems to be the easiest for me. I think because I have realized which carbs are ok and changed or deleted the carbs I was eating. My biggest enemy was sugar. Watching my sugar carbs has REALLY helped. I was a big drinker of sweet tea since I live in the south and had a paticular weakness for McDonald's Sweet tea, which is basically sugar water. I was drinking a 32oz McD tea most days of the week and sometimes 2. They are 300 calories a piece....empty calories. I have not had sweet tea in 6 weeks now. I don't keep sweets in the house. I believe these two things have made the biggest difference. My other carbs..breads, rice, etc I have limited but still eat and make sure that I eat those in whole grain or whole wheat if I am going to get them. I try to avoid white flour products. I am also a big sushi fan and try to go places where I can get brown rice now. Good luck to you. I know what you are going through!!! I hope some of my changes will help you as well.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Me too! Feel free to add me.
  • Jex_7
    Options
    Thanks! I will give them a look see :-)
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I am really having a hard time with my ife style change to low carb. Im running out of ideas on what to eat! I am the only one in my family doing it so i am constantly around carbs. So basicly I need support! Feel free to add me if you like!

-Jex

Jex- I'll send a friend invite; would love to help. I definitely empathize with trying to go low-carb on your own in a low-fat/high-carb world.
  • Madiann
    Madiann Posts: 177
    Options
    Bump
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this thread!
    I have been on MFP for about a month and I think I need to go back to my low carb ways. I lost weight before, but always fell off the wagon.
    I would do less than 20 carbs a day for so long, lose some weight, then binge and gain it all back. Start the cycle again.

I am sitting here this morning wondering if I need to do Atkins induction to jump start my weight loss. I just so very much miss good carbs. I could eat a giant bow, of fruit each day ( and do usually). I have a weakness for tortilla chips, but I can give those up easier than my favorite habanero almonds. :love:

My question to all the other low carbers out there, is do I need to drop it down so low, or can I keep eating my berries?
    You may not be able to answer, but I would love to hear your experiences. I know that everyone is different, but I am so frustrated right now after logging everything for a month, working out 7 days a week and I have gained 6 pounds. That's a lot of weight to gain.
    I'm trying to listen to my body and it doesn't like what I am doing right now, that's for sure.

Thanks everyone!
  • Jex_7
    Options
    I love tortilla chips also! I found some low carb tortillas that I cut up in to triangles and broil for a few minutes. 1 tortilla is 80 cals and only 6 net carbs. there not as yummy as regular deep fried but its close enough and you can season it any way you like. I to love berries but limit them to once aweek. I feel aweful when I eat carbs but I love them.... all kinds. I am determined to feel better on the inside and I do when I eat really low carb.. I hope you get back on track!

-Jex
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love the South Beach Diet quick cookbooks. Great recipes, and full nutritional info.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    So glad I found this thread!
    I have been on MFP for about a month and I think I need to go back to my low carb ways. I lost weight before, but always fell off the wagon.
    I would do less than 20 carbs a day for so long, lose some weight, then binge and gain it all back. Start the cycle again.

I am sitting here this morning wondering if I need to do Atkins induction to jump start my weight loss. I just so very much miss good carbs. I could eat a giant bow, of fruit each day ( and do usually). I have a weakness for tortilla chips, but I can give those up easier than my favorite habanero almonds. :love:

My question to all the other low carbers out there, is do I need to drop it down so low, or can I keep eating my berries?
    You may not be able to answer, but I would love to hear your experiences. I know that everyone is different, but I am so frustrated right now after logging everything for a month, working out 7 days a week and I have gained 6 pounds. That's a lot of weight to gain.
    I'm trying to listen to my body and it doesn't like what I am doing right now, that's for sure.

Thanks everyone!

Low-carb dieting isn't easy, that's for sure! I'm wondering if, when you did low-carb the first time, you let yourself have a cheat meal every once in awhile. I usually plan one cheat meal a week (e.g. date night with the wife) with the understanding that I'm going to reduce my calorie intake the next day and work out hard. This way, there's less guilt involved and less tendency to binge. It keeps the bad eating narrowed down to only one meal. Also makes you much choosier as to which carbs will be part of your cheat meal. I know I lose weight a little slower this way, but in the long run, it's not a race and it's more sustainable with my everyday living.
  • CharlieLopez2005
    Options
    I love tortilla chips also! I found some low carb tortillas that I cut up in to triangles and broil for a few minutes. 1 tortilla is 80 cals and only 6 net carbs. there not as yummy as regular deep fried but its close enough and you can season it any way you like. I to love berries but limit them to once aweek. I feel aweful when I eat carbs but I love them.... all kinds. I am determined to feel better on the inside and I do when I eat really low carb.. I hope you get back on track!

-Jex

La Tortilla makes a tortilla that's 3 net carbs, which is the lowest of any tortilla I've ever seen. I too feel awesome whenever I'm on the low-carb diet. Every once in a while I have a craving for cheese fries or movie theater popcorn and give in, but always feel like crap soon afterward as my body rebels. Not so much "bad" in terms of dieter's guilt, but I literally become lethargic and tired, not wanting to do anything. The closest analogy I can think of is someone who occassionally craves alcohol, gets plastered, and wakes up with a hangover. You think after the first hangover, you'd never get drunk again, but you do it again anyway once the recent memory fades. Wish there was a more formal, organized 12-step version for carb-addicts when I first started!
  • welcomenuts
    welcomenuts Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Low-carb dieting isn't easy, that's for sure! I'm wondering if, when you did low-carb the first time, you let yourself have a cheat meal every once in awhile. I usually plan one cheat meal a week (e.g. date night with the wife) with the understanding that I'm going to reduce my calorie intake the next day and work out hard. This way, there's less guilt involved and less tendency to binge. It keeps the bad eating narrowed down to only one meal. Also makes you much choosier as to which carbs will be part of your cheat meal. I know I lose weight a little slower this way, but in the long run, it's not a race and it's more sustainable with my everyday living.

I never "allowed" myself a cheat meal, I would just cheat and then beat myself up about it. I would then say, "well, I already blew it today, so..."

I'm going to try the Atkins induction phase for only 14 days. I can do it if I know that there is a light at then end of the tunnel. Hopefully I can convince my body that i am going to listen to it so that we can work together. :laugh:

At the end of the two weeks, I plan on starting to slowly add more carbs in. That's what I never did last time. I never worked on adding them in, it was all or nothing and I think that's where my failure stems from.

Thanks everyone!
  • Jex_7
    Options
    thats the kind I get, only there the jumbo ones ;-) so its double the net carbs! they are yummy!