Weight loss tips and tricks

Options
I struggle to eat slowly. I eat with people who eat fast. So I have been trying:
  • For snacks, I start a timer and only take a small bite every few minutes.
  • For meals, I divide the meal in half and start a timer. I eat half over 10 minutes and the other half in another 10 minutes. Between bites, I put my knife and fork down.

I also struggle with snacking too. I am going to try to put up a series of obstacles before I am can have a snack:
  1. Sip a cup of tea
  2. Eat a carrot or stick of celery
  3. Brush my teeth
  4. Wait 10 minutes

If I don't feel like exercising, I say to myself: just get changed into some exercise clothes. When I do that, I say: just do 5 minutes and stop. More often than not, I usually keep going.

Do you have any tips and tricks to share that helped you lose weight?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,117 Member
    Options
    Some of my tips are:
    - if you can't moderate a certain food, don't keep it in the house
    - don't eat food/snacks straight out of a bag/box (unless it's a single serving): take a bowl or plate, weigh out the quantity you want and then close the bag/box and put it back in the cupboard
    - keep moving, even when not exercising: I often do 'laps' around my house/living room while I'm on my phone and watching TV
    - a less practical/concrete tip, more of a mindset: I focused on process goals (logging consistently, following my calorie goal, weighing in daily and using a weight trending app, reaching a certain step count,...) rather focusing on a certain weight loss rate
  • MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I’ve toyed with the thought with using my non-dominant hand to hold my fork to slow my rate of eating. Haven’t really tried it yet, though…
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    on the ways to slow down tricks - one I find helpful for desserts is to use a teaspoon rather than a regular size dessert spoon.

Just makes it last longer and seem a bigger portion.

• Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I’ve toyed with the thought with using my non-dominant hand to hold my fork to slow my rate of eating. Haven’t really tried it yet, though…

I began using chopsticks (I'm very awkward with them, and my moves make us have fun and laugh, so it's perfect in every sense :smile: )
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    on the ways to slow down tricks - one I find helpful for desserts is to use a teaspoon rather than a regular size dessert spoon.

Just makes it last longer and seem a bigger portion.

I hear you. In Italy we already used teaspoon for desserts, so I began loading it only for half when, on Saturdays, I eat my beloved tiramisù in pizzeria :smiley:
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i am a fast eater and the rules you set for yourself sound miserable 😭 😂

i let myself eat as fast as i want because i weighed and measured what went on my plate. i know im not getting seconds so i just gobble it down. that’s my style!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i eat fast. so be it. i used to be quite thin and still ate fast - the two aren't always exclusive.

when i tried white knuckling it when i had snack cravings, it made my life fairly miserable. it's unpleasant, and it's not sustainable. can you find some low calorie snacks you love? sugar free jello? maybe a single dannon light & fit yogurt (not super low calorie, but at 80 calories per serving, some flavors are yummy and they're full of protein).

these days, i deal with snack cravings by making popsicles and slushes out of calorie-free drinks that i really like - and some that i didn't like as drinks, i do like as popsicles. go figure. on a rough day, i'll eat 18 popsicles LOL coke zero makes tasty popsicles, even better slushes. and 7up zero sugar with half a serving of canada dry cranberry gingerale powdered water enhancer is a big yum as is (oddly) my favorite mint tea or roastaroma sweetened with stevia extract powder. also mio water enhancers make great flavors.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Need popsicle / slush instructions to make out of zero cal pop! Exploding cans / freezer leftovers not good for desired function based on test tasting. Conclusion: Missing a connecting step. @zebasschick appears to have solution... HELP me @zebasschick! ?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i got inexpensive popsicle molds on amazon, and i fill them daily. for slushes, pour the soda into ice cube trays (or anything open so it doesn't burst), not too full, let them freeze, then use an ice crusher or hawiian shaved ice machine to turn them into snow, add a little cold soda, and voila - you have a slush. you could probably use a blender to pulverize the frozen soda, too.