How often do you weigh?

Options
I read somewhere that you should only weigh once a week so that you see actual difference and not just daily fluctuations, but I was reading today that people who weigh themselves daily tend to lose twice as much as people who weigh themselves less frequently. http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/18-not-using-scale?slideshow=186453#sharetagsfocus
What do you do?

Replies

• Epinephrine
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning when I wake up. Just so I can see how my weight fluctuates as each day passes throughout the week.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day because I can't help it
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Whenever I feel like it! :bigsmile:
  • Navmachine
    Options
    i weigh myself everyday, except for the weeks of pms, because i know that will just depress me. :p
  • Nikki582
    Nikki582 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Every time I walk past the scales :lol
    I don't mind the fluctuations, they don't get be down :)
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to weigh once a week, so thats what I do. Her reasoning behind it though was so I wouldn't get obsessed with weighing myself and start stressing over a number.
  • NicoleMarie0409
    Options
    I weigh every day because I can't help it

Me too
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I don’t obsess with it, I just like to understand the daily fluctuations, and I’m trying to make sure, as I increase my calories, that I’m not gaining weight.
  • its_B
    its_B Posts: 491
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times a week, My weekly recorded weigh in on Wednesdays, So I weigh myself every day with sunday being the last day, then I don't weigh myself again until Wednesday. (so no weigh in monday, or tuesday) So when I enter my weekly it can be a surprise! :)
  • rikisue206
    rikisue206 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My offical weigh in is always on Saturday mornings before breakfast. I also weight in 2 or 3 times a week just to keep in check. I do not weigh in during the week before and the week of my period, but only because I ALWAYS gain about 9 lbs. during that time and then drop it right after plus some. It is too frustrating to weigh then...
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I think the most common answer will be along the lines of "Once a day, but only log it once a week".

I'm one of them :)
  • healthy_KT
    healthy_KT Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday. I don't obsess over it but I like to stay in check. Everyone is different.
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    in a previous attempt at losing weight i aimed to weigh myself every week but would cheat and weigh myself during the week - would then find i hadnt lost anything or had even gained, would get down-hearted and pig-out. Now i am being strict and only doing it every week and i feel so much better. I feel much more in control of the process
  • SBug
    SBug Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    That is so good to hear.. I am on the week before my time of the month right now and I gained 4 pounds and was getting anxiety that I was losing progress.. Glad someone can relate!!
  • neveradullmoment
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week but would rather weigh in more often.

:smile:
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I weigh every Saturday once a week. Welcome To MFP!! Congratulations On A Healthy Journey!!
  • Surfrider
    Surfrider Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    My official logged weigh-in is on Thursdays, but I take a peek every day when I wake up to see my fluctuations.
  • SouLThinking
    SouLThinking Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. But, I only log my low weights LOL. Another words I may fluctuate up and down are stay the same but as soon as I see a new low weight I log it. When I went and looked at the reports option where it lets you look at your weight change I I see a gradual loss. I also can go look at my previous entries and I see that I lose about 0.6 to 0.8 lb a week or 1 lb every 10 days.

But either way yea I have to weigh everyday!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    once a week (same time for comparability), unless I am doing some sort of dietary experimenting.

And on this topic

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/353077-emotions-regarding-weight-loss?page=1#posts-4786775
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I use to weigh every week but now I weigh myself everyday... when I am home that is. I find it keeps me honest and doing it helps me get to know my body, how it reacts to certain things, but most of all, to stay on top of things.