7 freaking years...

Options
ryannxtlvl
ryannxtlvl Posts: 108 Member
Morning everyone! I wanted to share my success and the long road behind it.

The image below was a wake-up call for me. I was unaware of how much weight I had gained and was dealing with type 2 diabetes and other health issues. I knew that a change had to happen.

Initially, like many others, I felt frustrated and disappointed with myself. However, I was determined to make a change. I tried quick fixes, diet pills, magic elixirs, and even restrictive diets, but all of them led to yo-yo dieting. I learned that none of those methods were sustainable, but I kept pressing on and remained consistent.

After two years of searching, I discovered powerlifting, which became my new passion. I wanted to become as strong as possible and compete at a competitive level. Over the years, I have had the opportunity to work with several coaches, and I learned the importance of proper nutrition. Losing weight is not as complicated as we make it, but the health industry spends billions of dollars marketing all sorts of bogus products that can be overwhelming for someone just starting out.

Through powerlifting and proper nutrition, I have noticed not only physical but also mental changes in myself. These changes have been slow, but they are sustainable. I feel and look better than I ever have before. Looking back to my journey's beginning, I am grateful that I went through the bumpy road for the first few years. I learned from my failures, developed discipline that still carries over today, and gained a deeper understanding of how nutrition and fitness work together.

In short, for those starting or in the discovery phase of trying different methods, keep it simple. There are no quick fixes, and you have to put in the work and have proper calorie control. Don't be afraid to fail; embrace the failures and learn from them. That's how you grow.

gvpm3a0x55pb.jpg

Replies

• ryannxtlvl
    Options
    Corina1143 wrote: »
    You are insightful, inspiring, and amazing!

very much appreciated!
  • hounton
    hounton Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is one of the best posts I've seen. Thank you for sharing
  • GBjared
    GBjared Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    What an amazing journey. Good on you, mate!
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    hounton wrote: »
    Wow. This is one of the best posts I've seen. Thank you for sharing

Thank you!!!
    GBjared wrote: »
    What an amazing journey. Good on you, mate!

Appreciate you man!
    beerfitter wrote: »
    Well done. Powerlifting had a very positive effect on my training lifestyle for over a decade. Now as I approach my middle 50s it continues to provide the structure I need with food and training even though I have retired from the competing and now focusing on cardio and GPP.

I actually have been throwing in some GPP training. mainly to get my cardio levels up. I shouldn't be out of breath after 10 reps of deadlifts lol! Appreciate your feedback man.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    What a great transformation. I'm not powerlifting.. but something you said rings true with me at the moment. That losing weight doesn't have to be complicated. This year.. i started back at the gym, but instead of spending an hour on the eliptical first.. then lifting weights with the energy i had left; I decided to just do the strength training machines. It is actually pleasant and easy..and i'm buiiding my strength. Being weaker is something i'm noticing more than the pounds i need to lose. So, I'm doing a smaller version of what you did.. I m going for more strength and i know the weight loss will follow as part of the journey.
    Your post is great inspiraiton.. thanks.
  • Sett2023
    Sett2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Very wise words, @ryannxtlvl. And great work!
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree with you that losing weight is not as complicated as it's made out to be and there is a profitable market in gimmicks and fads that is best to avoid. Keep it simple and lose weight naturally. I love your pics and success story! You look wonderful! Congratulations!
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    What a great transformation. I'm not powerlifting.. but something you said rings true with me at the moment. That losing weight doesn't have to be complicated. This year.. i started back at the gym, but instead of spending an hour on the eliptical first.. then lifting weights with the energy i had left; I decided to just do the strength training machines. It is actually pleasant and easy..and i'm buiiding my strength. Being weaker is something i'm noticing more than the pounds i need to lose. So, I'm doing a smaller version of what you did.. I m going for more strength and i know the weight loss will follow as part of the journey.
    Your post is great inspiraiton.. thanks.

@elisa123gal yes! strength training is one of the best things you can do for weight loss. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns per day which results is more weight loss.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    Sett2023 wrote: »
    Very wise words, @ryannxtlvl. And great work!

@Sett2023 thanks man!
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    sunrise611 wrote: »
    Yes, I agree with you that losing weight is not as complicated as it's made out to be and there is a profitable market in gimmicks and fads that is best to avoid. Keep it simple and lose weight naturally. I love your pics and success story! You look wonderful! Congratulations!

@sunrisee611 I appreciate your kind words!
  • EastEndEric
    EastEndEric Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Really good post, and I appreciate it. The yo-yo rings definitely true, and I'm glad for the positive reinforcement from someone already through the hardest part and in the maintenance part of the journey. I don't think I've ever really started my journey yet, just dabbling, but you set a good standard to try to live up to as I've been on my way to that BEFORE photo. Keep up the good work, and the motivation is much appreciated.
  • fuzzybug29
    fuzzybug29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Your transformation is seriously insane and so inspirational! And it did take a lot of work and trial and error and years of dedication but you did that. That's amazing. I discovered weightlifting a year ago and have become passionate about it too and have been working on my nutrition. It is a process but feel I'm on the right path and like I've finally figured it out. I just have to keep going and I'll get there. Thank you for your awesome post and letting your journey serve as inspiration to others.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    ericeif wrote: »
    Really good post, and I appreciate it. The yo-yo rings definitely true, and I'm glad for the positive reinforcement from someone already through the hardest part and in the maintenance part of the journey. I don't think I've ever really started my journey yet, just dabbling, but you set a good standard to try to live up to as I've been on my way to that BEFORE photo. Keep up the good work, and the motivation is much appreciated.

@ericeif I appreciate that! If you are dabbling you most definitely have started your journey, you just haven't fully committed yet. In my experience with coaching usually this means there is something holding you back at fully committing. Usually that "something" is fear/anxiety. Fear of failure, fear of what others think or even fear of not knowing what your doing is the right way. Not saying this is it in your case, but I hope to see you fully commit and make those changes!
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    fuzzybug29 wrote: »
    Your transformation is seriously insane and so inspirational! And it did take a lot of work and trial and error and years of dedication but you did that. That's amazing. I discovered weightlifting a year ago and have become passionate about it too and have been working on my nutrition. It is a process but feel I'm on the right path and like I've finally figured it out. I just have to keep going and I'll get there. Thank you for your awesome post and letting your journey serve as inspiration to others.

@fuzzybug29 Thank you so much! sounds like you are on the right track! once things click its all about staying disciplined and like you said keep going!
  • AdamKast
    AdamKast Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is so awesome! Such an inspiration!
  • BrightEyedAgain
    BrightEyedAgain Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What a fabulous perspective you've offered here! Your story is going to inspire many people. You look amazing, and your attitude is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.
  • ryannxtlvl
    Options
    AdamKast wrote: »
    This is so awesome! Such an inspiration!
    What a fabulous perspective you've offered here! Your story is going to inspire many people. You look amazing, and your attitude is fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

Thank you both so much!
  • cphholder12152006
    cphholder12152006 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I salute to your success and I manifest it comes thru with me as well 🫡
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!