Small Steps, Big Wins: Support and inspiration for your 2024 goals

Options

Replies

• nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I'm back after a long hiatus of knee surgery and subsequently gaining back all the weight I'd lost and then some. My small steps are to make a point to stay active with on purpose exercise albeit lower impact than before! I am also upping my protein intake (or trying to), and have lowered my carbs. The scale and I have never been on speaking terms 😆 and so clues from the mirror and clothing will be my guide. For me, the scale moves extremely slowly and its depressing so I'm not looking at that. 🫣
    Praying for us all. Blessings on your individual journeys! 🙏
    I don't like the scales either 😕 they've never been my friend 😂
  • Soul_mate
    Soul_mate Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    nanerkay wrote: »
    Hello everyone. I'm back after a long hiatus of knee surgery and subsequently gaining back all the weight I'd lost and then some. My small steps are to make a point to stay active with on purpose exercise albeit lower impact than before! I am also upping my protein intake (or trying to), and have lowered my carbs. The scale and I have never been on speaking terms 😆 and so clues from the mirror and clothing will be my guide. For me, the scale moves extremely slowly and its depressing so I'm not looking at that. 🫣
    Praying for us all. Blessings on your individual journeys! 🙏
    I don't like the scales either 😕 they've never been my friend 😂

Scales are not linear.. zigzag.. even if we maintain calorie deficit consistently.. due to harmones.. muscle gain.. water retention
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,893 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a diet but, keeping my foods to whole foods and managing my portions.
    For the most part, removal of processed foods....because to be honest....if its processed, its not a real food is it?? hmmmm?
    Be protein conscious.
    Get in daily activity.

That's enough to focus on.
    Its been hard for me to find an active group on MFP. I hope this one continues to be active.

I'm not weighing myself. I don't like the idea of it. Back in the 1800's they didnt' weigh themselves (guessing) .... why should I? As long as my jeans fit or get a little loose...I'll take that as my win. More importantly I want my mindset to be happy, joyful and proud. Instead of shame, guilt and anxiety.
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Hello to new members. I'm here trying to make small changes and lose weight. I'm currently taking physical therapy for bad knee. I ordered my exercising gym today supposed to get it next Friday.I'm excited to get it. It's my late Christmas present. I logged all my food today I didn't do any exercise today I'm still sore from PT yesterday. I'll get back on it tomorrow.
  • WLWGranny
    WLWGranny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am fairly new to MFP. I just retired from my job and need to lose weight. I'm trying to find things to keep me busy so I stop the boredom snacking. My first goal is to lose 25lb by June (hopefully sooner). Any support or inspiration is greatly appreciated.
  • swihartcaringhands1638
    Options
    I have a wonky knee & know I need to lose weight to get it healed. Yoga is my friend now until I can get back to my walking routine. I was walking 5 miles a day with a friend until my knee flared up again. I lost 35# with just walking. But I’m stuck @ 208#. This gave me a nudge to start watching what I eat. Right now Iowa is in a blizzard condition so I am confined to the house.
    Thanks for everyone’s support! Have a warm & wonderful day!
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a diet but, keeping my foods to whole foods and managing my portions.
    For the most part, removal of processed foods....because to be honest....if its processed, its not a real food is it?? hmmmm?
    Be protein conscious.
    Get in daily activity.

That's enough to focus on.
    Its been hard for me to find an active group on MFP. I hope this one continues to be active.

I'm not weighing myself. I don't like the idea of it. Back in the 1800's they didnt' weigh themselves (guessing) .... why should I? As long as my jeans fit or get a little loose...I'll take that as my win. More importantly I want my mindset to be happy, joyful and proud. Instead of shame, guilt and anxiety.

I agree, Whole Foods are the way to go. Easy to shop, easy to prepare, and simple to log.

I don’t understand why you would not want to weight yourself tho. I weigh everyday. It’s up, it’s down, and sometimes it hasn’t changed, but it is key in knowing what is working for me. And it gives me a tremendous feeling accomplishment when I see results going in the right direction. I would encourage you to weigh, at least once a week. You will be happy you did.
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    WLWGranny wrote: »
    Hi, I am fairly new to MFP. I just retired from my job and need to lose weight. I'm trying to find things to keep me busy so I stop the boredom snacking. My first goal is to lose 25lb by June (hopefully sooner). Any support or inspiration is greatly appreciated.

I would encourage you to log everything starting now. And I mean everything, down to the teaspoon of sugar in your coffee. It’s like setting up a budget. You see what you are actually eating for the first time into knows when, and you will progressively change that intake to better choices. Also, make friends so that you have people cheering you on.
  • julienbutter
    julienbutter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I’m from London, England and I want to lose 3-5kgs of body fat and increase my overall level of fitness
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited January 14
    Options
    Hi all, I've been on MFP for a few years and found a group that is really supportive and encouraging with optional challenges and weekly weigh-ins. It's called Fat 2 Fit Weight Loss Challenge and Support Group.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/114605-fat-2-fit-weight-loss-challenge-and-support-group
    lde8esjwbz8n.jpg

If you want to add me as a friend, I'd be happy with a few more folks on my feed.
  • BodyTalking
    BodyTalking Posts: 1,947 Member
    edited January 14
    Options
    Would love some friends on here for motivation and support. Have been on here a few times but am wanting to finally make the change in my life that I need to feel better about myself. Feel free to add me (no clue how to add others 🤦🏻‍♀️)

I tried to add you as a friend but couldn't do it, maybe your settings are private or something. Could you try clicking on my profile pic or name and go to my page? You should be able to click on the tab with an outline of a group of people (something like this 👥👤👥) send me a message and we can then connect.
  • pbm89gt
    pbm89gt Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Started using MFP last year, I'm down 98.2 as of last weigh in. The previous week I was 100lbs down. I've noticed that after a loss I'll gain then lose again in the next few weeks, don't know why but it seems to work. For 2024 I want to lose another 50lbs. This is a great to help achieve your goals, I have no support system in my life other than this app.
  • ChefRamsey14
    ChefRamsey14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for years and it has helped me to lose 80 pounds. I’ve also been doing the keto diet and I believe that is the key. Now that I am modifying the keto diet to include more carbs, the weight has been inching back up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
  • kvisser1
    kvisser1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been using MFP for 8 years. I lost a lot of weight in the beginning and started running long distances, culminating in 2 half marathons and one full marathon in 2018, but then developed an over use injury in my hip. Since then, I've struggled to stay on track with fitness and food focus and gained back about half the weight I had lost. I mostly do low carb, moderate fat. I still run a few days a week, but have added spinning and pickleball to my cardio. I also do weight training 2 days a week. I guess I'm ready to regain the excitement for making a change I had when I started in 2015 and looking for folks to help make it interesting and maybe some new low carb recipes 😋
  • Vicky_McKeown
    Vicky_McKeown Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Finally trying to get my motivation back and have lost 3 pounds this week.
    Trying to make changes I can continue that will be manageable!