Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins - 136 calories

Options
sleepytexan
sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
Hiya -- I just experimented with an old recipe to reduce the calories. They came out great! I would really have preferred more chocolate chips, but I was trying to keep it low-cal!

I saved it in the database (so you can add it to your food diary if you make them) as:

LL HOMEMADE PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

yield: 28 muffins

Cal: 136, Carb: 22, Fat: 4, Pro: 3, Fiber: 1

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Mix all ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil
3/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
2 c. pumpkin puree
3 c. all purpose flour
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
3/4 t. cinnamon
2 t. vanilla
1/2 c. chopped walnuts
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli)

Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. Use standard ice cream scoop (the kind with a lever) to evenly distribute batter -- level scoops should get you 28 muffins.

Bake 15 minutes, cool in pans on rack 10 minutes and then remove.

Replies

• jmelyan23
    jmelyan23 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Bump -- these sound great and I'd love to try making them soon :)
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    bump!!!!
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Oh my....thanks!! Love my pb and chocolate..hehe..:wink:
  • bluegirl10
    bluegirl10 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy.. I will have to try them this weekend!
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    These sound delicious, can't wait to make them. Thank you for sharing.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mvkrayola
    mvkrayola Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have ever made muffins before but these sound delicious. Can you use paper cups in the tin rather than spraying?
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I have ever made muffins before but these sound delicious. Can you use paper cups in the tin rather than spraying?

When I make cupcakes/muffins I usually use both the paper cups and spray... if the muffins don't end up going over the cups then that's fine, but if they do it definitely helps with the clean up!

These do sound great :D so many great pumpkin recipes out, I love it :D
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Oooh, these sound good and it's rereshing to see an actual recipe that doesn't include "one box of Betty Crocker cake mix!"
    I'm not a big fan of nuts in muffins so I would probably leave out the walnuts and add more chocolate chips :)
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Does anyone know how 2 cups pumpkin puree would translate to fresh pumpkin? bc I have one on my porch, and I don't think it'll make it til Halloween...
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Does anyone know how 2 cups pumpkin puree would translate to fresh pumpkin? bc I have one on my porch, and I don't think it'll make it til Halloween...

depends on the size of it -- and the type -- some pumpkins are bred for eating and some for show. "pie" pumpkins are the tastiest and have the most flesh inside. If it's just a field pumpkin, it might be really big but not yield very much flesh. In any event, it will have seeds to toast, so go for it!!
  • MemphisMarly
    Options
    Good point. I just assumed that it was a pie pumpkin, but it probably isn't.

It looks like one for carving, if that helps. The sign at Kroger said "basketball size pumpkins."
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Good point. I just assumed that it was a pie pumpkin, but it probably isn't.

It looks like one for carving, if that helps. The sign at Kroger said "basketball size pumpkins."

well, give it a shot! can't hurt, right? the seeds should be great regardless -- dry them and toast them -- lots of recipes out there, I love a sweet/spicy mix.
  • auntlooloo
    Options
    bump
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sleepy!

I was just looking for some new muffins too! Will make some tonight!
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Let me know what you think; I polished off the last one this morning :)