max heart rate

Options
220 - 54 = 166, my max heart rate according to the formla.

I've been treadmilling an hour most days for an hour for 9 months now and raising the incine as I got stronger to maintain a target heart rate. I wear a HRM and am now very comfortable at 140 bpm for the full hour.which is about 85% of my max heart rate.

Is it safe for me to slowly raise it over 140, maybe +5 per month? Or is the 166 max a hard rule that applies regardless of fitness?

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    My max heartrate is 186 and I ran a 5k a couple weeks ago on the last stretch there's a big hill and I was pushing it pretty hard, my HRM had me at 189, I felt little heart palpitations and slowed it down some. My average HR for the run was around 166, I felt pretty good until that last hill. I wouldn't mess with it too much, 85% is pretty great. Maybe try a new exercise if you don't feel you're getting enough out of the treadmill, try an elliptical or maybe some weights (low weights high reps) That will get you going pretty good.
  • CarlaJean140down
    CarlaJean140down Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    That question is loaded, there are many factors that play into the safety of this....first of all any underlying health conditions. If you are healthy and have progressed to this point it is likely you can handle an increase barring any health concerns....remember the formula is based on the norm...everyone varies in fitness level..and using you perceived exertion level is your best guide line. Do you feel like you are able to do more?
  • timeforme23
    Options
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I'm healthy and feling great at 140, sweating but not out of breath or lingering fatigue.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    ...perceived exertion level is your best guide line. ...

After months of trying to figure out max HR formulas, varying methods of determining it, advice from coaches and trainers, etc., I have come to believe this to be the best approach for me. Never hurts to consult a health professional in person, too! Good luck and good health to you no matter what you decide.