Necessary to worry about carbs?

Options
Hello all! So, I am on day 4 of MFP, and finally trying to tackle my weight loss in a healthy and reasonable way. I just came off of a yo-yo cycle of trying to do the HCG diet in an attempt to lose weight quickly. I have made peace with the fact that this is a marathon, not a sprint, but, when I signed up I had decided that I was going to not eat any starches as to avoid excess carbohydrates. I made it 3 days. Today, day 4...I couldn't stand not having some carbs. So, I had a whole wheat "light" English Muffin with my eggs this morning, and had my ground turkey breast sloppy joe on a whole wheat bun. I feel FAR less hungry then I have in a while...but, I feel (emotionally) pretty bad. As stupid as it sounds, I always just feel guilty when I have starches.

My menu today:
2 eggs, pan fried in PAM
1 light WW english muffin topped with 1 TBSP almond butter

Lunch:
1 WW burger bun
1/2 cup ground turkey breast and sloppy joe sauce
13 Special K "salt and vinegar" "cracker chips" ( obsesses with these-only 55 calories for 13!)
1/2 sliced cucumer atop a bed of romaine lettuce spritzed with spray ranch dressing.

I can look at this and not feel guilty...these seems like a reasonable menu-home cooked food and relatively healthy choices...but, something inside of me so deeply believes that in order to lose weight I HAVE to starve myself of any starches.

Can those of you who have had successful weight loss while eating carbs, hell, while eating a dessert each night after dinner ( which is what I have been doing, an almond flour brownie that I make topped with 1/2 cup low-fat Fro Yo) share your stories with me? I think having some inspiration and adivce would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Replies

• sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    I tend to go over carbs a lot, but always seem to stay under fat and cals. I only worry about it if it occurs daily. Skinnytaste.com is a GREAT website, and she even has a section JUST for low carb recipes! :)
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I set my carbs at 40% and stick as close to that as possible. as long as the carbs come from healthy choices, I see no problem with them.
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    A source I found online which seemed reliable recommended keeping carbs to 100-150 mg day to lose weight. They called that the "Sweet spot" for dieters. I have been following that guideline and its been working for me. You get to pick and choose where your carbs come from. Also Sara Lee makes a bread called "Light and Delightful" which only has 45 cal. a slice if you like sandwiches or toast.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Nothing to share really. I don't even look at my carbs! Just keep my calories in check, exercise 6 times a week, eat whatever i want, when i want, just now in moderation!

I'm clearly some sort of outcast for doing this, as it isn't "healthy". But, it works for me, and is totally sustainable for the rest of my life, and to me that's the important thing!
  • Jacksonsmomma2211
    Options
    I get a lot of recipes from Hungry-girl.com
    She focuses on "guilt free eating." You can find every course from cocktails to desserts and great swaps to improve your own recipes. I haven't had a bad one yet from this site Good Luck!
  • loganmyangel
    loganmyangel Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The more you tell yourself NO on a certain food/category, the more your body is going to fight you to put it in your mouth. I limit my carbs, but I "allow" myself the "bad" carbs 2 times a day. Usually breakfast and dinner. I get about 95% of my carb intake from the raw veggies and fruits I eat daily. I snack on carrots, apples, grapes, green/red/orange peppers.

I have a mostly whole foods diet. Whole foods doesn't really consist of processed breads. My body kinda faught it at first, but now I feel like I have way more energy than when I was gorging on processed carbs. I get my starches from potatoes and rice mostly.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will check out the website!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    In the end, it's all about calories.

The primary benefit to a low-carb diet is that it evens out hunger cravings. I attribute this to a more stable blood sugar level. When you eat carbs, it spikes your blood sugar, and when that crashes you end up feeling hungry. A low-carb diet results in a much more steady blood sugar level.

Steve
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its better to eat a wide range of different foods and only cut out particular foods if you have a real need to. This way you stand the best chance of getting all the nutrition you need - which is especially important if you are eating low calorie (and the food you listed for today so far, looks pretty low cal).
    I don't panic about carbs - I eat pasta, rice (white and brown), bread (wholegrain), crackers, cakes, biscuits (cookies).... not all of them every day, but I have never tried to be "low-carb" and I've lost 47 pounds very steadily. My aim is to keep most of my foods homecooked and relatively unprocessed with a bit of junk in there now and again.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think its better to eat a wide range of different foods and only cut out particular foods if you have a real need to. This way you stand the best chance of getting all the nutrition you need - which is especially important if you are eating low calorie (and the food you listed for today so far, looks pretty low cal).
    I don't panic about carbs - I eat pasta, rice (white and brown), bread (wholegrain), crackers, cakes, biscuits (cookies).... not all of them every day, but I have never tried to be "low-carb" and I've lost 47 pounds very steadily. My aim is to keep most of my foods homecooked and relatively unprocessed with a bit of junk in there now and again.

I completely agree- I guess this is what I was looking for...to hear others who basically try to eat a varied diet, but, one that includes some yummy treats sometimes and are still actively and steadily losing weight. I know its working- Ive lost 4 pounds in 4 days...but, there is something to be said about self doubt and just always feeling the need to revamp and change your diet. Its that constant fight ( at least for me) to settle into eating less, excercising more and keeping at it daily. :)
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Nothing to share really. I don't even look at my carbs! Just keep my calories in check, exercise 6 times a week, eat whatever i want, when i want, just now in moderation!

I'm clearly some sort of outcast for doing this, as it isn't "healthy". But, it works for me, and is totally sustainable for the rest of my life, and to me that's the important thing!
    I'm the same way. I'm not denying myself anything this time around except huge portions.
  • cownancy
    Options
    My weight loss doctors and nutritionists say 100-150 grams, BUT at the beginning, try to stay to 100 and try not to go over 130. Also, try to keep all servings under 23 grams because of the way carbs metabolize. Hit me up privately if you have any questions or want to ask further questions.
  • jazzybean1
    Options
    Not all carbs are created equal... not all spike your blood sugar and they do provide your body with the energy it needs for day to life. Yams, oatmeal and low GI fruit like apples and citrus actual stabilize your blood sugar plus offer a variety of other health benefits, keep the processed carbs to a bare minimum and choose the whole food variety instead:)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

I completely agree- I guess this is what I was looking for...to hear others who basically try to eat a varied diet, but, one that includes some yummy treats sometimes and are still actively and steadily losing weight. I know its working- Ive lost 4 pounds in 4 days...but, there is something to be said about self doubt and just always feeling the need to revamp and change your diet. Its that constant fight ( at least for me) to settle into eating less, excercising more and keeping at it daily. :)

As you've just started I think you are on the right track - keep your calories to your daily net allowance, get some exercise in there.... and once you've been at it for a while you can start refining things (like macronutrient ratios) if you need to. I think if you make it too hard on yourself at the very beginning you are more likely to find the whole thing too tricky and give up.
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Not all carbs are created equal... not all spike your blood sugar and they do provide your body with the energy it needs for day to life.

Someone on this board posted that this was not true, and posted a citation to back it up.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I do not personally worry that much about carbs - I try to go for the whole grain and lower calorie varieites (like the sara lee 45 calorie bread mentioned above) but I don't specifically limit them. I love them too much. LOL I eat what I want so long as it works into my calorie allotement for the day. Now, granted, that has led to me eating less carbs than I used to since I have a calorie range I need to stay in, but to be fair I'm eating less of a lot of other things and more fruits, veggies, and lean proteins, which is kind of the whole idea behind getting healthier. :-) I'm not limiting carbs, but they are naturally taking up a smaller percentage of my diet b/c I'm trying to get in plenty of protein and eating fruits and veggies to be able to eat more food with less calories.

In my food log I am always over on carbs, protein, and fiber and always under on fat. I keep my calories within 100 of what's given by MFP (100 or less OVER, not under - simply b/c I'm paranoid about going under and having my body not like it). Lost 15 lbs in a little over 2 months so it's working well for me. :-)
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    For me, reducing carbs (especially refined sugar and wheat) has been very effective. But I didn't have to fight any serious cravings : I just looked for the easiest (and healthiest) things to cut in order to get my calories down. As long as I stay away from carbs, the pounds keep going down and I can stay full and satisfied.

One thing to keep in mind is that carbs (especially processed and *concentrated* carbs) are rather addictive. Your body becomes used to the insulin spikes (or whatever) and that begins to seem normal, like something you need. If you are able to reduce the processed carbs you eat, it becomes easier to taste, say, an apple or a beet or a carrot, and really enjoy the sweetness of it. Its also much easier to eat a certain amount and feel "Okay, that's enough. I'm satisfied." With cabs, it seems like each bite demands another, and another.
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It's going to depend on the individual. Here's how I approach it... and this is from the article in my signature:
    Carbohydrates are currently the focus of a lot of fear and hate. Many ‘authorities’ like to make money by crying out in their books and blogs about carbohydrates making us fat. Oddly enough, while low-carbohydrate zealots abound, our government recommends the majority of our diets come in the form of carbohydrates. Who’s right?

Well, absolutists lack objectivity. They reason with their emotions instead of their logic and evidence. This doesn’t have to be an either/or variable in your diet. Some folks are going to excel on higher carbohydrate approaches. Others are going to fare better on lower carbohydrate approaches.

One thing’s for certain… don’t go cutting out fruits and vegetables simply because insulin supposedly makes you fat in the absence of a calorie surplus or because fructose is harmful irrespective of dosage.

A sample list of carbohydrate-dominant foods includes vegetables, fruits, breads, pastas, oats, dairy, and rice. Most junk foods are typically heavy in carbohydrates as well.

It’s tough to come up with a blanket suggested range for carbohydrate consumption. Optimal intake of carbs is going to depend on genetics (insulin resistant vs. insulin sensitive), body composition, activity patterns (endurance based training vs. strength training), etc.

The typical approach we take is to eat 3-6 servings of fibrous vegetables and 2-4 servings of fruit per day.

If you still have calories to use up after accounting for protein, fats, veggies, and fruits… you can fill the remainder with pretty much anything. If you’re an endurance based athlete or you’re relatively lean, you’re probably going to want to fill it in with carbohydrates – starchy or otherwise. If you’re insulin resistant and/or overweight, you might consider taking a lower carb approach in which case you’d fill the remainder in with fat. This is also where you’d satisfy your sweet tooth as well, assuming you have one.

We also had some great discussion about carb intake in the following two threads:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/209455-why-are-carbs-so-bad?hl=zealot&page=6

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/338430-no-carb-dieting-and-maintaining-caloric-intake
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I don't intentionally watch my carbs - but when I eat right and stay within my calorie range, I don't tend to eat too many carbs
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I completely agree that it is different for everyone. But I do think there is a universal disconnect on serving sizes for a lot of people. USDA serving recommendations do not necessarily equate to nutritional label serving sizes. I will note that I don't necessarily agree with the pyramid in terms of total # of servings (I think bread/grains are high), but it is a good guideline for the purposes of this post.

A couple of examples:

Whole wheat pasta nutritional label "serving" is usually 1 cup of cooked pasta, but USDA "serving" is only a half cup. So if you are having 1 cup of pasta, you are actually having 2 USDA servings.

For fruit a USDA "serving" is defined as a medium piece of fruit or half cup of chopped/sliced. So if you have one cup of berries and a medium piece of fruit, you have already met your 2-4 fruit servings for the day. In fact, I have recently started weighing fruit, yes fruit, and have been surprised that what I would consider to be a "medium" piece of fruit weighs as much as a large and then some. I started doing this because I noticed a correlation a long time ago between my sugar intake and weight loss, and since I don't eat a lot of processed foods, fruit is usually the single biggest source of it in my diet.

Bottom line, you have to play around with it and see what works for you.