Looking for a snack that is salty and crunchy/ healthy but not nuts

Options
I have lost 125 lbs but put back 10 and getting scared . I am a teacher so I need a quick snack to hold me over between classes anyideas. Thank you

Answers

• escobarbarbie
    escobarbarbie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You can eat buckets of popcorn—get away from the prepackaged stuff and pop your own kernels on the stovetop using minimal oil! This blogpost got me started: https://cookieandkate.com/perfect-stovetop-popcorn-recipe/

It takes about 10 mins on the stove, to be fair, but it helps me keep from mindlessly snacking. Hope this helps!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    how about quest chips? well, their full name is Quest Nutrition Tortilla Style Protein Chips. i loooove the chili and lime, just love it. 140 calories per bag with 20 grams of protein. they have other flavors, too. there are flavored protein puffs from a couple companies with flavors like pizza, sour cream and onion, cheddar and nacho. or how about cheese crisps like whisps? they're freeze dried cheese, and come in a variety of types of cheese - there are a couple other brands, but i'm not awake so i can't think of the others.

if you're not a vegetarian, you could try beef jerky - if you are, there are some tasty soy jerky options.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,175 Member
    Options
    I won't be of much help for giving specific brands, but like Zebasschick I would suggest protein chips.
    Another idea would be lentil or chickpea chips, less greasy than regular potato chips.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    I like crispy broad beans. Having discovered I like the Enlightened Bada Bean Bada Boom ones, I now order them online in big boxes of individual packets. I know, the packaging of packets is wasteful, but they help me manage portions. A packet is usually 100-110 calories, and has some protein (I think 7g?)

There are also dry-roasted soybeans (edamame) in various flavors, most of them salty. These are more calories (around 130 per 28-30g) but also more protein (varies, but 11g or so usually), and I find them a reasonably filling snack.

A person can make crispy chickpeas or lentils at home, too. There are lots of recipes on the web for various seasonings.

Various pickled vegetables are crisp and salty. A day's portion can live without refrigeration for a in a small jar or tupperware.

Personally, I loveLove cucumbers, so I'd eat a huge chunk of cucumber with seasoned salt, but I know that's not everyone's thing.
  • jjjsroach
    jjjsroach Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    salted celery
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    cucumber cut in quarters with splash of white wine vinegar and a sprinkle of salt
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Seaweed snacks
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Options
    I agree about popcorn. Two tablespoons of unpopped kernels are just more than an ounce and have 110 calories. It has a tiny bit of protein (3 grams) and six grams of fiber. I use sunflower seed oil to cook my popcorn. Eleven grams of sunflower oil has 97 calories. Your big bowl of popcorn has just a few more calories than one tiny tiny serving of potato chips. Add some nutritional yeast for flavor and umami. A tablespoon adds almost four grams of protein (and it's a complete protein by the way) and another three grams of fiber for an additional 28 calories. Salt to your level of tastiness. You're invested for 235 calories and have a tasty snack that provides protein and fiber.

I have tried, but failed, to make crispy chickpeas in the oven. I've had them when other people have made them. They are good. I just haven't figured it out.

You can also make kale "chips." They are really divine, but are a bit of a pain to make. Massage a little oil on the kale, toss with cashew flour and nutritional yeast and salt. Bake in a low oven for not too long - keep an eye on them. Turn them once. It doesn't take long to cook, and you'll have to make a lot of batches because they get so much smaller. They won't last long.
  • megangilbert123
    megangilbert123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Make your own seed crackers... lots of easy recipes on the internet :)
  • Hach8214
    Hach8214 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Biltong Jerky?

• csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    skinny pop popcorn for sure.
  • Zachor717
    Zachor717 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sorry to burst your snack time, but nothing salty is going to be the best for you. Salty snacks may impact your cardiac health, force you to retain additional water weight, and perhaps impact multiple systems. You may need to think about why you are having cravings. To do this, you will have to train yourself to think of snacks differently. A rel snakc for you, for example, would be grek yogurt and fruit. Good luck to you!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Crispy seaweed
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,344 Member
    Options
    @Zachor717

Sodium can increase blood pressure, sure. It's also critically necessary in our diet. The trick is getting the amount right. It also can taste really good. Many people who reduce their intake of sodium find that eventually it takes less of it to satisfy the desire to eat it. That can be a good thing.

There's nothing wrong with enjoying salty crispy snacks in moderation. Like so many things, moderation can make the difference. When I had trouble moderating how many potato chips I'd eat if I brought a bag home and opened it, I left it in the store. I can moderate now, and that's great because they're pretty delicious. Popcorn was a good alternative for me - I could make a batch using about an ounce of kernels, eat the whole thing, and not have four more servings waiting for me. If I wanted more, I'd have to wash and dry the pan. Not very likely.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Roasted potatoes, or other veg, salted.
    Parmesan (or other salty cheese) cheese crisps
    Haven't tried them, but heard of cottage cheese "chips"