Confused, Exhausted and Discouraged:(

Options
Well, I have been on my weight loss journey for about 2 weeks now. I started working out for around 15 min. for three days a week. I assumed I would be burning a lot of calories and was shocked to find that a lot of the members here work out for 2 hours, 5 days a week! I'm begining to feel discouraged because I thought I was doing such a great job with working out, and now, im unsure as to what I should be doing! Before I started on MFP, I was frankly sedentary and extremely lazy, I attend school online so you can imagine exactly how active I actually was. Can anyone help me to get on the right path as far as excercising goes? how many calories should I burn a day?

Replies

• speakz82
    Options
    Well, I have been on my weight loss journey for about 2 weeks now. I started working out for around 15 min. for three days a week. I assumed I would be burning a lot of calories and was shocked to find that a lot of the members here work out for 2 hours, 5 days a week! I'm begining to feel discouraged because I thought I was doing such a great job with working out, and now, im unsure as to what I should be doing! Before I started on MFP, I was frankly sedentary and extremely lazy, I attend school online so you can imagine exactly how active I actually was. Can anyone help me to get on the right path as far as excercising goes? how many calories should I burn a day?

Start by walking an hour a day, PLUS add weights for 15 minutes, then gradually increase your time. While any exercise is better than no exercise, you aren't going to be getting results working out 45 minutes a week. At least not the results of many of the inspirational members on here.

Get a heart rate monitor. If you're strapped for time, make time...and look into HIIT.
  • jschavrien11
    Options
    when you create your goals, of how much weight you want to lose per week it tells you how much is your daily limit for cal intake, and how many you should be burning through excercise.
  • pocomama
    pocomama Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Dont get discouraged! Everyone starts somewhere. I didnt start out exercising 2 hours a day. I started out with the 30 day Shred which is only about 25 minutes and I took breaks, lol. Also, dont compare yourself to others. If 15 minutes is all the time you have right now then be glad that it is 15 minutes more than you were doing before. You will work your way up to a longer workout if that is what you want to do...and the more you exercise the more you will want to exercise.
  • JennBrown83
    JennBrown83 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    don't EVER feel discouraged, if all you can handle right now is 15 mins then do 15 mins and work up to working out more. Any activity after being sedintary is amazing. Don't feel you have to live up to any one else's level of exercise. Feel free to friend me and we can encourage each other! You've done the most important thing by logging on here and starting to work out. Keep up the good work!!!!
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    The number 1 mistake I see ppl make who start out in the fat loss game is comparing themselves to others. You need to focus on what works for you and keep on that path, fat loss is about what works for you that is why there is no quick short cuts or miracle weight loss methods. At its core it is simply burning more than you take in, you just need to use common sense and listen to the body. A 15 min workout for beginner is fine, if you were to start out doing 2 hr workouts you will be ready to quit or overeat. My advice is to do it in baby steps and take your time, you did not gain the excess weight overnight nor will you shed it overnight, but little by little you will find your way to a healthier happier you.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    when you create your goals, of how much weight you want to lose per week it tells you how much is your daily limit for cal intake, and how many you should be burning through excercise.

I didn't realize it told how many should be burnt! Is there a way to see that now?
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    The most important thing you can do is move at a pace that gets you moving. If 15 minutes a workout is what you are comfortable doing/what your body can handle at the moment, then go with it! I found that when I started on MFP, I did about 20-(maybe)30 minute workouts once or twice a week. What got me to increase my workout time and frequency was when I learned that working out could be fun and not a chore. I suggest finding someone to workout with, finding a workout that you LOVE (aka Zumba..that's my fav) and just doing what you can for as long as you can. I bet you'll find that, out of the blue, you'll be working out longer and enjoying it more. Keep telling yourself that at least you're working out...that you're doing something besides sitting around. You can do it!!!!!!!!! Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    If you have been sedentary for a long time, 15 minutes is a good place to start. As a rule, working out regularly is better than working out infrequently which is better than not working out at all.

Deciding how much to exercise is a personal choice. I choose to spend 1-2 hours at the gym 6 days a week because I want to loose 2 pounds a week, but eating 1200 calories a day would not be sustainable for me. For other people, it might be easier to restrict calorie intake than it would be to find 10 hours a week to spend at the gym.

Exercise (cardio and strength training) are both important parts of weight loss. Cardio burns glycogen and fat. Strength training helps prevent muscle loss that accompanies fat loss How much is really up to you. If you have the time, I definitely recommend working up to 30 or 60 minutes a day.

For me, working out is just as beneficial for my mental outlook as it is for my weight loss and physique!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, you have gone from not exercising to exercising. That is a great mental and physical acheivement and you should be congratulated for making this change.
    Now you know that you CAN exercise, just gradually increase the amount. You don't have to be doing hours of exercise every day, it just isn't necessary in order to lose weight and get healthier.
    Walking is a great exercise - many of the articles I've read say that 30 mins brisk walking each day will keep you fit and healthy.
    If you want to do more, that's fine but don't think that you HAVE to sweat it out for hours each day to lose weight, you don't.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Stick with it, and increase your exercise at your own pace. Some of the people on here have been doing this for a while now.

I like to remember the saying, "no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch". You were one of those people on the couch, but now you've made the decision increase your activity level and you are moving in the right direction. Be proud of yourself for taking that step.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    How do you eat an elephant? ONE BITE AT A TIME.

If you try to start off working out 2 hours a day, you'll get frustrated and give up. I started a week ago. The first couple of days, I did 15 minutes on the elliptical and 20 minutes of strength training at the lowest weight on the machines. I only did 20 ab crunches. I started adding 10 more crunches a day; today I did 50! If you work out too hard the first day or two, you'll be sore and not want to do anything. It's better to start with the 15 minutes if that's all you can do. Gradually add 5-10 minutes every few days. If you build up to it, you can avoid injury and doing more than you can handle.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right and what you are capable of. I don't have huge/long workouts. In fact, there are probably more days I don't workout than those that I do. I still manage to lose and I continue to push myself. The point is that you are doing SOMETHING. Keep at it. Who knows, you might even catch the workout bug, I still haven't but I know many of my friends who have.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'd start with 30 minutes four times a week. If you're very sedentary, any exercise is good for you!!

When I started, there is no way I could work out for more than 30 minutes at a time. I'm up to an hour comfortably on a treadmill (and can happily lift weights for the same amount of time) but anything over that gets tough.

Start small and you have less chance of failure, injury, and burnout. Slowly increase your time and intensity and YOU WILL GET THERE. Stop looking at what everyone else is doing and concentrate on yourself. Try to out-do what you did last week. Stay on the bike for an extra five minutes. Lift another set of weights. Walk a little faster. Push yourself.

I know you can do it... cos I was lazy, and very sedentary.... And now I can run a little bit!!
  • ode22a
    ode22a Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well you have went from doing nothing to working out 15 minutes 3/week. That is a wonderful start. Dont be discouraged keep doing what you are doing and when you feel you can do more, increase your work out. Any little bit is better than nothing at all.
  • nnunn
    nnunn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To just get started is a great job! Don't worry about what every one else is doing at this point. Find yourself in your workout. Enjoy the beginning of this exploration!
  • amberrrogers
    Options
    I started working out just 6 days ago. I did 90 minutes walking the first two days, 30 the next 3 and did yoda for 15 minutes aerobics 15 minutes and ballroom dancing workout for 15 minutes the three days i only walked for 30 minutes (the 15 minute intervals were all i could physically handle). I was able to go the gym and work out for 50 minutes today and I feel great. I have almost 200 ponds to lose. And I too have been so freaking lazy there were days i didnt get off the couch except to eat and go potty. I look at it this way, some of the members here have been at this awhile, have built an endurance and there is no way after 1 week of exercising that i can keep up with them. But every minute i exercise a day is a minute more than I used to. No I say build your endurance and add more time, like I am
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure who works out 2 hrs a day...I certainly don't. I probably run a couple times a week and do some free weights. I've never belonged to a gym in my life, and I'm maybe 6-7 lbs more than I weighed in high school.

You do, however, have to become religious about entering your calories. There just is no other way. MFP takes into account your lifestyle so you should lose weight no matter how much exercise you do. Yes, it helps to do more but if you stay at or under your calorie goal you should be ok.

It helps to go to Settings > Diary Settings > Diary Sharing and change it to Public. That way we can see what you are eating and offer help when the need arises.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    What you're doing is fine. Some people on MFP have been exercising for years. There are a variety of difference fitness levels, and we all had to start somewhere.

You can burn as many calories as you feel like. Despite what many people think, you CAN lose weight through diet alone. Exercising just gives you a boost, plus a thousand different health benefits. So I highly recommend it.

If you try getting in 60 minutes a day, I think it may overwhelm you. The only thing I recommend is that you increase the level of intensity once what you're doing becomes easy. (And it will over time.) :) Good luck!
    If you have been sedentary for a long time, 15 minutes is a good place to start. As a rule, working out regularly is better than working out infrequently which is better than not working out at all.

Very well said.
  • carolina_r
    carolina_r Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged! I just recently signed up to this site, and I hate "going to the gym". I do want to lose weight, but if it means 2 hours of working out 5 days a week, I think I'll pass! There are so many other things I want to do with my time:) Instead, I'm just trying to get out for a walk each day with my baby in the stroller, and I'm usually walking for a purpose (i.e. I walk to the grocery store, but take a long, indirect route to make the walk longer). I've started working in a bit of weight-training (i.e. squats and lunges while holding my 20 lbs son). I'm trying to be more active in general (i.e. stand while folding laundry rather than sitting, take the stairs rather than the elevator). Most importantly, I am more concious about what I eat and I am tracking honestly. I have been doing this for about 15 days, and I've already seen results!

We are all different - different body types, goals, lifestyles, situations - but I hope my example shows you that you don't have to spend your life "working out" to lose some weight and get healthier. Be proud of YOUR progress - going from sedentary to 15 minutes of exercise a day is moving in the right direction!

Hope this helps...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Something is always better than nothing. Focus on what you HAVE done and WILL do - not on what you haven't.

You're fine. :)