Small Steps, Big Wins: Support and inspiration for your 2024 goals

Options

Replies

• WLWGranny
    WLWGranny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    WLWGranny wrote: »
    Hi, I am fairly new to MFP. I just retired from my job and need to lose weight. I'm trying to find things to keep me busy so I stop the boredom snacking. My first goal is to lose 25lb by June (hopefully sooner). Any support or inspiration is greatly appreciated.

I would encourage you to log everything starting now. And I mean everything, down to the teaspoon of sugar in your coffee. It’s like setting up a budget. You see what you are actually eating for the first time into knows when, and you will progressively change that intake to better choices. Also, make friends so that you have people cheering you on.

Thank you. I have been logging everything, even the ferraro roche I had last night for a treat. I know that journaling is an important aspect to this journey but thank you for the reminder. Just by having to put it down on paper (laptop) it makes me make better choices. And I love that I can put my own recipes in and know for sure what a serving is costing me not only in calories but in sugars, proteins, etc
  • prodigal6766
    prodigal6766 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for years and it has helped me to lose 80 pounds. I’ve also been doing the keto diet and I believe that is the key. Now that I am modifying the keto diet to include more carbs, the weight has been inching back up. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

It’s only gonna happen. 1 of 2 ways. Less calories, or more activity. If you want to eat those carbs, then it’s fine. You just need to convert them to energy by being more active. If not, they go right to fat.
  • prodigal6766
    Options
    kvisser1 wrote: »
    Hi! I've been using MFP for 8 years. I lost a lot of weight in the beginning and started running long distances, culminating in 2 half marathons and one full marathon in 2018, but then developed an over use injury in my hip. Since then, I've struggled to stay on track with fitness and food focus and gained back about half the weight I had lost. I mostly do low carb, moderate fat. I still run a few days a week, but have added spinning and pickleball to my cardio. I also do weight training 2 days a week. I guess I'm ready to regain the excitement for making a change I had when I started in 2015 and looking for folks to help make it interesting and maybe some new low carb recipes 😋

Injuries suck big time. Not only can they keep you from working out, depression can set in. Try to keep N attitude of gratitude, and make smart food choices while you are not as active. Especially cut down on the carbs. I mean way down. Good luck!
  • ambydf
    ambydf Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Type1 Daibetic and 11 I use this this app to find my carbs.If you type 1 you probably know how much it helps🥰 I'm so, very thankfull that they have the stuff to care for diabetes now. I'm lucky to be living in this time of day.🙃
  • ambydf
    Options
    Well, my daughter
  • ambydf
    Options
    Is
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I had a ruff weekend with a migraine. I didn't eat a whole lot so I didn't log. If any of you have migraines you know it's hard to function. So mostly just layed down the medicine makes me feel strange. I forgot to weigh this morning I'll get it tomorrow.
  • swihartcaringhands1638
    Options
    I’m working on my flexibility. I’ve always been strong until a wonky knee made me figure out I needed to start stretching. I found a free chair yoga on YouTube & love it. I can’t believe the difference in 5 days! My knee is starting to feel better & my posture is already improving. Hopefully after we get snowplowed out here in Iowa & the temps aren’t negative degrees; I will be able to start walking with friends again!
  • All4kyks
    All4kyks Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi All I am new here and have progressively put on weight as the years have past, particularly since Covid. So looking to get back to my healthy weight and be more active and healthy. Also think I need a forum like this to stay accountable!!
  • nanerkay
    nanerkay Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I’m working on my flexibility. I’ve always been strong until a wonky knee made me figure out I needed to start stretching. I found a free chair yoga on YouTube & love it. I can’t believe the difference in 5 days! My knee is starting to feel better & my posture is already improving. Hopefully after we get snowplowed out here in Iowa & the temps aren’t negative degrees; I will be able to start walking with friends again!

I I also have a bad knee. I've been taking physical therapy for a month and I can tell a big difference in my knee and when I started and now I still have another month to go hopefully by then I'll be able to walk more easily. I've ordered me and exercise bike the doctor told me it would also help. I've been snowed in all day as well but the temperatures are not negative here thank the
    Lord.
  • Hart_pgh
    Hart_pgh Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 16
    Options
    Hello, my name is Kimberly Hart. I am from Pittsburgh Pa. I love the wellness lifestyle. Health is wealth. I currently weigh 165, my goal is to get back down to 135-140. I'm here to track my health and wellness goals. I'm going to do it!!!

Be Well.....
  • SherryRueter
    SherryRueter Posts: 2,952 Member
    Options
    I'm not doing a diet but, keeping my foods to whole foods and managing my portions.
    For the most part, removal of processed foods....because to be honest....if its processed, its not a real food is it?? hmmmm?
    Be protein conscious.
    Get in daily activity.

That's enough to focus on.
    Its been hard for me to find an active group on MFP. I hope this one continues to be active.

I'm not weighing myself. I don't like the idea of it. Back in the 1800's they didnt' weigh themselves (guessing) .... why should I? As long as my jeans fit or get a little loose...I'll take that as my win. More importantly I want my mindset to be happy, joyful and proud. Instead of shame, guilt and anxiety.

I agree, Whole Foods are the way to go. Easy to shop, easy to prepare, and simple to log.

I don’t understand why you would not want to weight yourself tho. I weigh everyday. It’s up, it’s down, and sometimes it hasn’t changed, but it is key in knowing what is working for me. And it gives me a tremendous feeling accomplishment when I see results going in the right direction. I would encourage you to weigh, at least once a week. You will be happy you did.

Back in feb. 2023 my father passed away. I gained 7# overnight. and then started using food as a coping device. Mentally I was using the scale as punishment for how bad I felt, and it making me feel worse. So my therapist advised I take a break from it for a while. I stopped seeing her, but continued with the not weighing. I know I need to track the body weight .... My goal is to be brave for once before Jan 30th. I may take photos as well. I did take my body measurements - which had not changed.

I used to weigh in daily and just use it as a number. Somewhere down the line my brain got scrambled and It quit working.
  • SherryRueter
    Options

Focus on loving yourself. You are your best friend, and are deserving of your own respect and kindness. Your body is a temple, treat it kindly with nutrients it needs. And take care of your mind, tell it what you are grateful for and how you are going to feel when you've reached your weight loss goal. You've got this! One moment at a time, lots of water, and lots of kindness. Setbacks will happen. They are your mind's way of communicating with you that you have some feelings you need to work through. Listen to your mind, and find a way to make yourself feel better that doesn't involve foods that will ultimately make you feel worse. It's not worth it. You've got everything you need inside yourself to achieve your goals. You can do this. Hope that helps.

I love this SOOO much!
  • SherryRueter
    Options
    I exercised and I stretched today. Lower body weight training that really used my hamstrings.
    Food is logged and I published it to a few social groups I am in. Hoping that helps me for accountability.

I realized sometime this morning, that I used to make a plan, follow the plan and....when I wanted to go off plan, I said "NO". For example, having a serving of cheese, kinda wanting more. I would say, NO, that's all I get for today, you can have more tomorrow! and then, put it on tomorrow's plan. Some how I stepped off that train, and need/am going to / get back on it. Today, as my day 1.
  • acdkayak
    acdkayak Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 16
    Options
    I have about 65 pounds I would like to lose. I move in about 16 months. I figure if I lose a pound a week I can reach my goal by the time I move…slow and steady.

Hydration has always been an issue so my one small step will be increasing my water intake
  • prodigal6766
    Options
    I'm not doing a diet but, keeping my foods to whole foods and managing my portions.
    For the most part, removal of processed foods....because to be honest....if its processed, its not a real food is it?? hmmmm?
    Be protein conscious.
    Get in daily activity.

That's enough to focus on.
    Its been hard for me to find an active group on MFP. I hope this one continues to be active.

I'm not weighing myself. I don't like the idea of it. Back in the 1800's they didnt' weigh themselves (guessing) .... why should I? As long as my jeans fit or get a little loose...I'll take that as my win. More importantly I want my mindset to be happy, joyful and proud. Instead of shame, guilt and anxiety.

I agree, Whole Foods are the way to go. Easy to shop, easy to prepare, and simple to log.

I don’t understand why you would not want to weight yourself tho. I weigh everyday. It’s up, it’s down, and sometimes it hasn’t changed, but it is key in knowing what is working for me. And it gives me a tremendous feeling accomplishment when I see results going in the right direction. I would encourage you to weigh, at least once a week. You will be happy you did.

Back in feb. 2023 my father passed away. I gained 7# overnight. and then started using food as a coping device. Mentally I was using the scale as punishment for how bad I felt, and it making me feel worse. So my therapist advised I take a break from it for a while. I stopped seeing her, but continued with the not weighing. I know I need to track the body weight .... My goal is to be brave for once before Jan 30th. I may take photos as well. I did take my body measurements - which had not changed.

I used to weigh in daily and just use it as a number. Somewhere down the line my brain got scrambled and It quit working.

Sorry to hear about your father passing 😭. That has to be tough. How are you coping now? Obviously, take the time to get back to a good space.
  • Sammyleemali
    Sammyleemali Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey guys 👦 starting weight 112.8 kilos... current weight 95.5 kilos.... I have 15 to lose as 80 is my goal. Looking forward to smashing this journey 💪 Melbourne Australia 🇦🇺
  • j1963herr
    j1963herr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I posted on Jan 11th about not having a weight loss goal. Did some measuring today on my calves, biceps, waist, etc. I went from a size 38 pants down to a 33. I thought this was great. I've only been tracking food for the past 2 weeks and got some good insights. While I did lose, it was not all fat. I had neglected my protein intake my entire life. The measurements of my calves after my daughter commented "you've lost those calf muscles" concerned me. My legs were never fat. I had a beer gut (I admit it). I was military and with all the walking and running for over 20 years, there was no way my calves were ever small. My strength is the same as 20 years ago, but the muscle bulk has gone -- I want it back. Stupid me, didn't watch protein intake, so with my exercise regimen I was likely burning muscle as well. I don't ever get enough carbs or sugars in my diet according what I've tracked the past two weeks, and I had only been getting half the protein. I always aimed for 60grams when I should have had 120 grams a day. Lesson learned and now I can make adjustments thanks to this app pointing me in the right direction. I actually have to eat more now to realize fat loss instead of muscle loss. So weird, and I thought I was smart. Protein, Protein, Protein!!!!