I Cant lose weight

Options
I am in at least a 1000 calorie deficit a days, im doing the 75 hard day challenge so im working out twice a day, im three weeks and have lost no weight, in fact ive gained 2 pounds. What is going on.

I want to cry im working so hard!

Replies

• megansaw
    megansaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey i measure everything, ive mainly eaten protein and salad and veg, my apple watch is saying I'm burning between 2600 to 3000 calories a day and I'm eating between 1400 to 1500.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    megansaw wrote: »
    I am in at least a 1000 calorie deficit a days, im doing the 75 hard day challenge so im working out twice a day, im three weeks and have lost no weight, in fact ive gained 2 pounds. What is going on.

I want to cry im working so hard!

I think you may not actually be in a 1000 calorie deficit. You say you're working out twice a day, but calories burned from working out are unreliable and basically untrackable (despite what well meaning people will try to say). Yes, some people will say they are maintaining a deficit through working out, but what's probably closer to the truth is that they are monitoring their calories eaten, and that works out despite the calories they think they've burned through exercise, not because of it. Exercise is for health, not weight loss.
  • megansaw
    megansaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is an example from yesterday and ive basically kept to the same each day

wopog4mnyp7d.png
    j2jtuoerycx3.png
    w7kfeypzi73v.png
    pphxab18oeam.png
    wc58997cu3zt.png
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you’ve been doing this for less than 4 weeks it can be water retention, after 4 weeks it’s that you’re not in a WEEKLY calorie deficit due to many factors with your counting and tracking.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Most of your examples in yoir diary look like you aren't weighing your food on a scale. All food needs.to be weighed grams. Also, are you including all.sauces, drinks that may have calories?

That combined with over estimating calorie burn, means you are probably not in 1000 calorie deficit.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,457 Member
    Options
    megansaw wrote: »
    This is an example from yesterday and ive basically kept to the same each day

wc58997cu3zt.png

Make sure you have your activity setting correct.

Make sure your Apple Watch negative calorie burn (I’ll have to go back and look up the real name) setting is enabled or Apple will credit you too many calories.

That seems to be a very very large burn for 88 minutes of work, although possible if you had a large number of steps, but I’d expect there to be a little bit of bump bump showing in the exercise graph if you’d had a lot of steps. You might double check what you’re calling your activity. I can get a large difference in calories between “functional strength training” with my trainer versus cardio strength, even though they’re comparative.

If you’re somehow picking up the burn from gym equipment via Apple Watch, know that gym equipment usually records very inaccurately high burns.
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    i piggyback the question about whether you are using a digital food scale for foods measured in grams.

i also agree that for two-a-days, you may need more time due to water retention
  • springlering62
    edited January 18
    Options
    zgotjb39gwy3.jpeg
    See the deduction circled at the top?

If you start the timer on an exercise, Apple will record both the steps in the exercise and the steps, period. Same with some calories burned. So they do a rather awkward and irritating adjustment to back off some of the duplicate burn.

You have to go into settings to enable the adjustment.

See how I’ve only got credit for 1000 exercise calories? That’s based on a setting of very active, and includes a gym session, cardio class, an hour swimming laps, and about 7 or 8 miles walked outside of steps around the house. You’ve got to be very careful about selecting the proper type of workout and recording exercise via Apple Watch. If you’re not conservative it will lavish you wish extra calories and throw your numbers off.

You’ll see similar deductions if you scroll back through my (open) diary. If you do: Caveat- I’m running a deficit for a cut right now.
  • springlering62
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    If you make things hard enough so that you end up giving up when you don't see the results you deserve to see given the effort you've invested...well you will end up giving up and not achieving the end result you wanted

But will the root cause of the problem be the lack of results? Or will the root cause be the setup of making this so hard that it ends up having more chances to fail than to succeed?

This is golden.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    Options
    You're 3 weeks in. Compare your weight trend (using a weight trend app) at the same point of your monthly cycle and under similar conditions

New or increased exercise or exercise cessation? Injuries? Bowel issues? Recent flight? Eating out during the past few days? Pregnancy? All of these would be conditions not similar! 🤷‍♂️
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    How many times have you weighed yourself?
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 437 Member
    edited January 19
    Options
    Could be hormonal/cycle fluctuations/increases... to be followed with a big woosh if you continue a real deficit the rest of the cycle. I always had an upswing the last few days irrespective of deficits.

I saw a clear fluctuation pattern when i charted daily weights across about 4 months, during stable eating and deficits. Body had retention intentions of its own ;)
  • csplatt
    csplatt Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    this is a question about the app in general as opposed to a criticism or suggestion — if you set your activity level to “very active” then also log all your workouts, are you double dipping in a way? double logging activity? i have always just selected sedentary — THEN logged my workouts
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,231 Member
    Options
    @csplatt

When you set your activity level, that should be your activity level EXCLUSIVE OF INTENTIONAL EXERCISE. Look at what the descriptions of the activity levels are and note they don't include exercise:
    • Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    • Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesperson)
    • Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. food server, postal carrier)
    • Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)

If you do exercise on top of that, you should log it.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,633 Member
    edited January 20
    Options
    Me neither. Hahaga so silly we are

Understanding weight fluctuation and trajectory and the causes and time frames helps. A lot.