Afib and weight loss

Options
seeahill
seeahill Posts: 56 Member
Last August, I was diagnosed with Afib. Everyone's different, but the way it affected me was that my heart beat way too fast for minor effort. At the top of a flight of stairs, I'd be bent over, hands on my knees, chest heaving as if I'd just run a fast 100-yard dash. This was not how I wanted to live the rest of my life. I did some research --- legit PubMed sources --- and found that an overweight person, like myself, had a good chance to ameliorate or even cure Afib if he lost 10% of his body weight. I am 6 feet tall and weighed 235.
I began logging my food on FP. In five months, I've lost 30 pounds. That's about 13%.
And I no longer have Afib. It's gone.,

Replies

• Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's just great.
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    @jqwade Luck!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful, @seeahill. While not everyone with afib may see that result, I feel like everyone gets some great improvements from losing a big chunk of weight. The things like improving a health condition, being able to reduce medications, etc., are especially excellent, though, IMO.

Nice work!
  • seeahill
    seeahill Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, and good luck to others dealing with AFib. I've found that it affects different people differently. In addition to weight loss, I took the drug prescribed (Metropolol) and drastically cut back on alcohol.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,930 Member
    Options
    I'm really glad you posted. I was diagnosed with the same type. I've lost a lot of weight since then. Maybe mine is gone, too.
    I didn't know anything was wrong before the ecg, so I still don't know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!