Thigh and upper leg weight

Options
Hey guys, I’ve been on my fitness journey for a few months now and have been able to shed 20 kgs, and hoping to shed 20 more. All weight gain is usually centered towards my lower belly and my thighs. My thighs are my biggest insecurity, to the point where I only wear full length pants. I mostly do cardio but I’m wondering if other people here have the same issue and if so how do you tackle / tone the fat around your lower thighs?

Thank you!

Answers

• sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    rrbo8s0df9nt.jpeg

Congrats to you on losing 20 kg already! That is a huge accomplishment.

My thighs have always been big as well to the point where I didn’t wear shorts for most of my life, and I live in the south US where it gets ridiculously hot. I have found that a combination of overall weight loss and strength training over the course of a few years has shaped them so I can finally feel comfortable in shorts.

We don’t get to choose how/where we lose fat- that is determined by genetics. But overall fat loss and muscle building can eventually reshape you in a way that feels better. I found that consistently weight training my whole body with a combination of machines and free weights balanced out my physique. I started with a personal trainer for a while just to learn what’s what, and now I do things on my own and keep track using the Strong app. I’ve been lifting consistently for a couple years, but I saw meaningful results within 4 months.

The way we’re shaped means we may never have a “thigh gap,” but I’ve found I don’t need one to feel good about my body. My legs are super strong- that’s a really good thing for health and longevity.

The pic is from October- my thighs look pretty unremarkable.

That's actually the beauty standard right now... being "thicc" but with a small waist. No thigh gap (or you're considered a thin mint... too skinny to be "attractive") In fact, to be attractive your thighs are supposed to be, like, double the size of your boyfriend's/SO. Beauty standards are just constantly changing from one extreme to the other.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Genetics determine where we carry our fat so to lose the stubborn areas you need to keep dieting down. You’ll most likely always have that type of basic shape,
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,478 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I feel you! My lower body holds all the weight while my upper body looks very skinny. Can't do anything about it. I mean, I could potentially get a mild thigh gap (think placing your phone on your lap when sitting on the loo, and it falls through 🙈) but then I'd need to be underweight. So... these are my legs/bum. Can't do anything about it other than embracing them.
  • Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Genetics determine where we carry our fat so to lose the stubborn areas you need to keep dieting down. You’ll most likely always have that type of basic shape,

Well, sorta.

"Ages ago, I believed I was "pear shaped", however, consistent lifting and weight training has balanced out my body as well."

I always had a bubble butt and thunder thighs. In high school, I wore a size 10 on top and 14 on bottom.
    I had a hysterectomy in 2022. Now I wear a large or extra large on top and a size 10 on bottom. You almost need a magnifying glass to find my backend. Lol.
  • mahpara1996
    mahpara1996 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words. You’re all very right, my body has always had this make up.

Even at my skinniest I always had bigger hips and thighs. But yes my goal is to tone them so I can feel somewhat confident again, @EliseTK1 thank you for your advice on strength training. I’ve started to do so recently as well, and it’s comforting to know that somewhere down the road I might be able to wear shorts again. I’ve never really wanted a thigh gap, because with my body it’s not super realistic so it’s definitely mainly about shaping.

Thank you again everyone 🫶