Tips for Perimenopausal Ladies!

Options
dfhoff40
dfhoff40 Posts: 6 Member
edited January 24 in Food and Nutrition
I keep hearing "estrogen loves fat." Finding it to be so true! What's working for you? I practice taekwondo and strength train regularly. Diet is pretty decent. I keep hearing protein is key to keeping muscle and losing fat in menopause. Has this worked for you? Mine will not budge!!!

Replies

• SKmarathon
    SKmarathon Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I would like to know also.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the symptoms of perimenopause have had the greatest effect on my weight. I think it's not so much hormonal, but all the little things add up. I had night sweats 2 or 3 times a night, so my sleep was crap. Since I felt like a zombie all the time, I used snacks to boost my energy--usually sweet and way too often through the day. I had a lot of body aches and muscle pain, so I took shorter walks and not as often. Because this was so creeping and pervasive, I didn't really recognize that I also needed to adjust my intake to accommodate those problems. Between that and some other medical stress, I've gained a few pounds I'm working on taking off now. It's going about as I expect it to as far as rate of loss now that I've started HRT. I know it's not for everyone, but honestly it made all the difference for me!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options

Are you saying your muscle doesn't increase, or your fat doesn't decrease, when you say "Mine will not budge!"? Or both?

Eating appropriate calories was key for me for losing fat in menopause. I lost 50-some pounds of it in just less than a year. I had eaten reasonably nutritiously before that, just ate too much compared to my actual calorie needs. @COGypsy is making an excellent point there about subtly reduced activity being a contributing factor. (That means daily life activity, not just exercise. It's very common to have a more placid lifestyle as we age, less physical movement in our daily life, chores, hobbies, etc.)

For muscle, the best route would be a good progressive strength training program faithfully performed, good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein). Muscle gain will be slow (as it is for everyone, but slower with aging) and is unlikely (or at least even slower) when reducing calories to the point of fat loss. The strength training would need to be heavy enough to be quite challenging, while staying safe.

I'm not doing that progressive strength training bit now (have in the past, earlier during menopause), though I do lift some now (but with different goals than muscle mass gain, mostly). When I spent more time in the gym, it was common to see women lifting weights in ways that were not - if I may dare to say it - challenging for them. High rep, fast rep, relatively low weight isn't optimal for muscle mass gain, as I'm sure you know.

Does "estrogen love fat"? I'm not sure what that means. Menopause is lower estrogen - if estrogen loves fat, wouldn't low estrogen promote less-fat? I don't think it does, so I don't understand the phrase.

When I was lifting routinely and progressively, I was already in menopause (chemotherapy triggered), plus taking anti-estrogen drugs because of breast cancer (you could think of those drugs as creating a hyper-menopausal state in some ways), and eating around maintenance calories (while overweight/obese, if that matters). I gained strength (fairly fast at first) and muscle (slowly). I've also gained muscle ultra, ultra, extra-very slowly without much lifting (sometimes none), doing a more strength-y form of cardio really, really a lot.

IMO and IME, challenging current strength level (somehow) and getting good nutrition is key to keeping (or gaining) muscle in menopause, as it is at other times. Eating the right number of calories is key to losing fat in menopause, as it is at other times. Good nutrition is important for health, and supports both those goals but doesn't guarantee them. Patience and persistence also support those goals.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if menopause makes these things harder. I think the wisest sign in the world is the one we see everywhere that says "you are here". Some women benefit from HRT in various ways. Personally, I can't take it because of my history of estrogen-fed breast cancer (which reached an advanced stage, so I'm not playing around with it). That's my "you are here".

I feel like the only reason to think about obstacles is to figure out how to get over, around, or otherwise past them - your post here is completely in line with that philosophically. Thinking about obstacles in any other way seems like an unproductive waste of time, to me: Catastrophizing basically, spinning the wheels.

I'm betting you can accomplish your goals. Optimizing strength training and nutrition will help. Your OP doesn't mention calorie intake, but I'm thoroughly convinced that calorie balance is the key to the fat loss piece.

Best wishes for success!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,590 Member
    Options
    Probably menopausal. Losing weight is no problem. Feeling menopausal is not a must though, and there are ways to counter this. No woman should feel rubbish during menopause even though some doctors seem to think that's ok. One thing: the less active you become with age (being more settled, having a good car, etc) the more muscle you will lose and the more weight might pile on. Not because you're monopausal but because you're less active. Thus keep activity up, do something for your muscles. Preserving muscle mass also helps preventing osteoporosis to some extend.
  • laurad1978
    laurad1978 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thank you great informative post, I'm in the same position as yourself regarding BC and medication.
  • frhaberl
    frhaberl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm of the right age to be peri-menopausal (48) and have started having some symptoms that sound peri-menopausal (night sweats, insomnia, dry skin, changes to my menstral cycle) but I think I'm either fortunate to have milder symptoms or just in early days.

I like @AnnPT77 's "You are here" analogy. While I think it can be good to get some normalizing feedback from people in similar circumstances to you, it can also be discouraging if you fixate on them too much because another very applicable sign is "Results may vary". So with that disclaimer....

I have had lots of success (65lbs lost in less than 10 months) with adjusting total calories in vs calories out. I have also found increasing my protein and fiber to be helpful, but my focus has been more on satiety and nutrition than on building muscle. I've also (so far) stuck to my "cardio queen" walking/jogging routine, so probably not built much muscle along the way. That's not because I don't see value in building muscle, just that I haven't found a strength routine that I enjoy as much as I enjoy my daily walks/jogs.

I also advocate for working towards mental health balance as you pursue physical health. I don't know about you, but this stage of life for me has as least as many mental health stressors as my body is throwing at me with fun hormone changes. I'm fighting to keep from adding "sense of failure at losing weight" from being added to that list. It's one of the reasons I don't beat myself up about not having a strength routine. I love my walks and they support my mental health. If that means it takes me a bit longer to reach a weight target, so be it. Same goes for all the other "shoulds" I could find for myself when reading what others are doing. I do believe that I'll eventually do some of those things, but setting that expectation in the short term would be counterproductive to my overall mental/physical health.

So my advice would be to start with some simple health building strategies (tracking calories on MFP is a great one) and see where that takes you. If you're finding yourself lost or stalled, there are great people with experience based advise to help you along.
  • claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I haven’t put weight on during peri (started 3 years ago and now on HRT) but my chocolate and wine consumption crept up, as coping mechanisms for the lack of sleep and feeling rubbish. I kept within my calorie limits, hence no weight increase, but I can’t say it was good for me. Back into a healthier pattern now the HRT is working. I can see how incredibly easy it would have been to pile the weight on if I wasn’t tracking accurately though; coffee and tonnes of sugar were all I could stomach in the morning to keep me functioning.
  • dfhoff40
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Are you saying your muscle doesn't increase, or your fat doesn't decrease, when you say "Mine will not budge!"? Or both?

Eating appropriate calories was key for me for losing fat in menopause. I lost 50-some pounds of it in just less than a year. I had eaten reasonably nutritiously before that, just ate too much compared to my actual calorie needs. @COGypsy is making an excellent point there about subtly reduced activity being a contributing factor. (That means daily life activity, not just exercise. It's very common to have a more placid lifestyle as we age, less physical movement in our daily life, chores, hobbies, etc.)

For muscle, the best route would be a good progressive strength training program faithfully performed, good overall nutrition (especially but not exclusively adequate protein). Muscle gain will be slow (as it is for everyone, but slower with aging) and is unlikely (or at least even slower) when reducing calories to the point of fat loss. The strength training would need to be heavy enough to be quite challenging, while staying safe.

I'm not doing that progressive strength training bit now (have in the past, earlier during menopause), though I do lift some now (but with different goals than muscle mass gain, mostly). When I spent more time in the gym, it was common to see women lifting weights in ways that were not - if I may dare to say it - challenging for them. High rep, fast rep, relatively low weight isn't optimal for muscle mass gain, as I'm sure you know.

Does "estrogen love fat"? I'm not sure what that means. Menopause is lower estrogen - if estrogen loves fat, wouldn't low estrogen promote less-fat? I don't think it does, so I don't understand the phrase.

When I was lifting routinely and progressively, I was already in menopause (chemotherapy triggered), plus taking anti-estrogen drugs because of breast cancer (you could think of those drugs as creating a hyper-menopausal state in some ways), and eating around maintenance calories (while overweight/obese, if that matters). I gained strength (fairly fast at first) and muscle (slowly). I've also gained muscle ultra, ultra, extra-very slowly without much lifting (sometimes none), doing a more strength-y form of cardio really, really a lot.

IMO and IME, challenging current strength level (somehow) and getting good nutrition is key to keeping (or gaining) muscle in menopause, as it is at other times. Eating the right number of calories is key to losing fat in menopause, as it is at other times. Good nutrition is important for health, and supports both those goals but doesn't guarantee them. Patience and persistence also support those goals.

In my mind, it doesn't matter if menopause makes these things harder. I think the wisest sign in the world is the one we see everywhere that says "you are here". Some women benefit from HRT in various ways. Personally, I can't take it because of my history of estrogen-fed breast cancer (which reached an advanced stage, so I'm not playing around with it). That's my "you are here".

I feel like the only reason to think about obstacles is to figure out how to get over, around, or otherwise past them - your post here is completely in line with that philosophically. Thinking about obstacles in any other way seems like an unproductive waste of time, to me: Catastrophizing basically, spinning the wheels.

I'm betting you can accomplish your goals. Optimizing strength training and nutrition will help. Your OP doesn't mention calorie intake, but I'm thoroughly convinced that calorie balance is the key to the fat loss piece.

Best wishes for success!

Oh so estrogen loves fat means estrogen hangs out in fat tissue, so when your body stops producing it then it wants to hang into the estrogen that already exists in your fat tissue.

Yep Ive been working twice a week with a trainer to build muscle, and already had above average muscle mass due to two years of twice weekly taekwondo training. After 6 weeks nothing changed! Lol. Even the trainers were scratching their heads haha(part of my training program is full body scan for fat/muscle tissue distribution- funny because I was in the same percentile for fat mass as
    muscle mass lol. Something like 65 percentile for both! Argh)
    I've recently started more effort towards 35% protein intake. I do notice I'm feeling more full! Appreciate the support and your thoughtful response!
  • dfhoff40
    Options

Oh so estrogen loves fat means estrogen hangs out in fat tissue, so when your body stops producing it then it wants to hang into the estrogen that already exists in your fat tissue.

Yep Ive been working twice a week with a trainer to build muscle, and already had above average muscle mass due to two years of twice weekly taekwondo training. After 6 weeks nothing changed! Lol. Even the trainers were scratching their heads haha(part of my training program is full body scan for fat/muscle tissue distribution- funny because I was in the same percentile for fat mass as
    I've recently started more effort towards 35% protein intake. I do notice I'm feeling more full! Appreciate the support and your thoughtful response!
  • dfhoff40
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight and encouragement!!!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,930 Member
    Options
    dfhoff40 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Best wishes for success!

FWIW, when I lost weight it seemed like my (already menopausal) fatty tissue let go of estrogen as I lost weight. My libido, which had blessedly (because I'm aging widow) been silent for years, suddenly perked up and went crazy. The effect faded, and I was very, very glad that it did.

Others, in different situations, might react differently to that same effect, I understand. :lol:

I didn't find that my body particularly hung on to fat, once I got my calorie intake to the right level . . . which in my case, was a higher calorie intake than MFP predicted, despite being old (59-60 at the time), menopausal (for around 15 years at that point), and severely hypothyroid (but properly medicated for it).

FWIW, I personally wouldn't expect any noticeable increase in muscle mass in 6 weeks, no matter what I did. Theoretically, a women in ideal circumstances might be delighted to gain around 1.5 pounds of muscle mass in 6 weeks - a really good result. "Ideal circumstances" would include a calorie surplus, relative youth (of which I have near zero), good genetics, ample protein in a context of overall good nutrition, a good progressive training program faithfully performed, and more. In less than ideal circumstances - always present for me - gains would be slower than that, at best, and likely near zero in a mere 6 weeks. Strength gains, if coming off a hiatus in strength training or new to it? Yes, sure. Mass? Not me.

Maybe your trainers' experience has been different, and I respect that . . . but for me, muscle gain is slow, requiring substantial patience . . . and that's if I'm willing to work really hard at it, which I'm usually not, realistically. YMMV - I hope it does, in fact, because I'm not very enthusiastic about strength training, sadly.

It's worth pursuing, though, and will happen in the longer term with the right interventions . . . or at least that's been my post-menopausal experience.

Best wishes!