Replies

• BrandNewNelle
    BrandNewNelle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    prdzl2ga7lm7.png
  • AdahPotatah2024
    AdahPotatah2024 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    People try to impress you with the things they have done ... You should be more impressed with things they would never do.

Nassim Nicholas Taleb
  • Veta2018
    Veta2018 Posts: 636 Member
    edited February 13
    Options
    The Elephant Rope

As a man was passing the elephants, he suddenly stopped, confused by the fact that these huge creatures were being held by only a small rope tied to their front leg. No chains, no cages. It was obvious that the elephants could, at anytime, break away from their bonds but for some reason, they did not.

He saw a trainer nearby and asked why these animals just stood there and made no attempt to get away. “Well,” trainer said, “when they are very young and much smaller we use the same size rope to tie them and, at that age, it’s enough to hold them. As they grow up, they are conditioned to believe they cannot break away. They believe the rope can still hold them, so they never try to break free.”

The man was amazed. These animals could at any time break free from their bonds but because they believed they couldn’t, they were stuck right where they were.

Like the elephants, how many of us go through life hanging onto a belief that we cannot do something, simply because we failed at it once before?

Failure is part of learning; we should never give up the struggles in life.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak.
    Explanation
    Al Hirschfeld's quote "The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak" beautifully encapsulates the power and essence of minimalism. In a world filled with distractions and complexities, this quote serves as a reminder of the importance of clarity and focus. By stripping away the superfluous, whether it be in art, writing, or even in life, we allow the essential elements to shine through. It is through simplification that we uncover the true essence and message, enabling it to resonate with greater impact. This quote emphasizes the profound beauty in simplicity and inspires us to seek elegance and clarity in all aspects of our lives.
    https://www.bookey.app/quote-author/al-hirschfeld
  • Boobezoo
    Boobezoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    c03i2vxqigmq.jpg
  • Erika59
    Erika59 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    As long as you keep trying, you can never fail :)
  • Adventurista
    Adventurista Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 4
    Options
    @AdahPotatah2024 ~ thanks for the share of Al Hirschfeld's quote. New on me, inspiring.

Eloquent expression of my effort to focus on essential basics.
  • 1ns1d3_0u7
    1ns1d3_0u7 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    "Being stuck between a rock and a hard-place isn't an option. Either use the stones to build your way out, or get buried by them..." -TSleeveless
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    "Well, I'm 70 okay...if you ask me my three keys to a successful life..you want my three keys? Transcendental meditation,lift weights, espresso. Just do those three things and you will kill it."
    Jerry Seinfeld
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    · “We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.” ·Einstein
  • rene7975
    rene7975 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not a quote, but a wonderful Eric Bibb song, “Just Keep Goin’ On,” that I found very motivating to walk to while in rehab after major surgery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zRtpX60XD0

With harmonica! Love it!
  • BethStauffer1
    BethStauffer1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can have results or you can have excuses. You can’t have both.

Not sure who originally said it but it has stuck with me!
  • Hobartlemagne
    Hobartlemagne Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    You have to participate in your own success.
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    At dawn, when you have trouble getting out of bed, tell yourself: “I have to go to work — as a human being. What do I have to complain of, if I’m going to do what I was born for — the things I was brought into the world to do? Or is this what I was created for? To huddle under the blankets and stay warm?”

So you were born to feel “nice”? Instead of doing things and experiencing them? Don’t you see the plants, the birds, the ants and spiders and bees going about their individual tasks, putting the world in order, as best they can? And you’re not willing to do your job as a human being? Why aren’t you running to do what your nature demands?

You don’t love yourself enough. Or you’d love your nature too, and what it demands of you.

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    The survival of the fittest is the ageless law of nature, but the fittest are rarely the strong. The fittest are those endowed with the qualifications for adaptation, the ability to accept the inevitable and conform to the unavoidable, to harmonize with existing or changing conditions.

Dave Smalley
  • AdahPotatah2024
    Options
    “This is the true joy in life, being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one. Being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances, complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy. I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege to do for it what I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work, the more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no brief candle to me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw