Old Fashioned Rolled Oats simple and satisfying

Options
I put some oats and water in the fridge last night.

This morning I added a banana to the oats and heated it up for a couple minutes in the microwave.

This and a cup of coffee are turning out to be a great start to the day.

Why is this a big deal to me?

I've made a huge change in what and how I eat. I'm trying.

Have a great day, folks.

Replies

• Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited January 25
    Options
    You immediately lost me at oats and "water". I'm not into that Oliver Twist looking gruel. Oats and milk FTW. I add a few frozen blueberries toward the end of the heating and they defrost very quickly in the mixture. Don't need all the calories from a banana when the oats are already carb heavy.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,206 Member
    Options
    I mix thick rolled oats (uncooked) with plain whole-milk yogurt in a bowl. Typically about 150 grams of yogurt and 30 grams of oats. I add either cacao nibs, a chopped apple, or some raisins. I let that sit for an hour to soften. No cook. No heat. Delicious. Protein, fat, and fiber.
  • caffeinebuzz10
    caffeinebuzz10 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You immediately lost me at oats and "water". I'm not into that Oliver Twist looking gruel. Oats and milk FTW. I add a few frozen blueberries toward the end of the heating and they defrost very quickly in the mixture. Don't need all the calories from a banana when the oats are already carb heavy.

it was a high carb breakfast and the banana was great with the oatmeal, but not necessary

i will try again with milk and some other things I see folks are doing....i didn't have any milk as i don't really drink it very often as a preference
  • Retroguy2000
    edited January 25
    Options
    i will try again with milk and some other things I see folks are doing....i didn't have any milk as i don't really drink it very often as a preference
    I'm a big fan of milk. Not just the flavor of oatmeal with milk, but also it adds protein to the meal. And I use 50/50 milk and water for my protein powder shaker bottle. You do need to watch for the calories though. We use 2% because that's the best deal Costco has, or in a grocery store we'd choose 1%.
  • refactored
    refactored Posts: 399 Member
    edited January 25
    Options
    Well done on making a healthy choice for breakfast!

Have you heard about resistant starch? From https://hopkinsdiabetesinfo.org/what-is-resistant-starch/
    Resistant starch is a carbohydrate that resist digestion in the small intestine and ferments in the large intestine. As the fibers ferment they act as a prebiotic and feed the good bacteria in the gut. There are several types of resistant starch. They are classified by their structure or source. More than one type of resistant starch can be present in a single food.
    Because resistant starch is not digested in the small intestine, it doesn’t raise glucose. Gut health is improved as fermentation in the large intestine makes more good bacteria and less bad bacteria in the gut. Healthy gut bacteria can improve glycemic control. Other benefits of resistant starch include increased feeling of fullness, treatment and prevention of constipation, decrease in cholesterol, and lower risk of colon cancer. Resistant starch is fermented slowly so it causes less gas than other fibers.

So you can make your oats even more healthful by making overnight oats where you soak uncooked oats in milk overnight in the fridge and eat the oats uncooked.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

Both sound gruesome! I weight out my oats, add raisins, skyr, mix, then add whatever fruit I have and eat. No fluids, no warm stuff. Just a very stiff and very filling mix of tasty and sweet. My ratio of oats to skyr is roughly 1:2, btw.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I like oatmeal shakes. Oatmeal with add-ins of your choice mixed in a blender bottle with milk of choice (I use oat milk). Leave overnight and it's a fast and handy breakfast you can drink in the car. I use the Oats Overnight packets for variety, but it would be easy to do something similar from scratch.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    Options
    I now add full fat cottage cheese, sour cream and butter to my oatmeal and of course a little salt and pepper. Now as I'm older and the need to watch my blood sugar I don't eat grains very much any more and might eat this a few times a year. Grew up with oatmeal though.
  • Retroguy2000
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Both sound gruesome! I weight out my oats, add raisins, skyr, mix, then add whatever fruit I have and eat. No fluids, no warm stuff. Just a very stiff and very filling mix of tasty and sweet. My ratio of oats to skyr is roughly 1:2, btw.
    Sounds interesting. I had never heard of skyr, and I just now looked it up. Although, with me having oatmeal almost daily, I think that combo would get quite expensive for me :-)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a simple girl and love my steel cut oats/rolled oats (cuz I'm trying to use them up) mixture made with water and a couple pumps of sugar free syrup. Then, uh, top that off with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter :)

When I was younger I used to have oatmeal however whoever made it and then pour milk in it like it was regular cereal. I'm not much of a milk drinker anymore tho so....
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I hereby bequeath all oats to oat lovers in this thread. I might be able to eat it @yirara style. Everything else seems like mush to me.

Proceed. lol ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,102 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of raw oats, so ugh to any of that. (Those who like 'em that way: No diss. Enjoy!)

I microwave the thick old-fashioned rolled oats (in water), add thawed frozen mixed berries, plain nonfat Greek yogurt, hemp hearts, ground flax seed, cinnamon, blackstrap molasses, walnuts, peanut butter powder. I love that it's like adult pablum, perfect for me in the morning (when I am just. not. up. for. a. challenge.).

Yes, it's calorific. To me, it's more than worth it. So satisfying, keeps me full and happy for hours. (37.6g of protein, by the time I add some coffee with hot skim milk on the side.)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Sounds interesting. I had never heard of skyr, and I just now looked it up. Although, with me having oatmeal almost daily, I think that combo would get quite expensive for me :-)

You could also use stiff greek yoghurt or quark
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,206 Member
    Options
    Before "Greek Yogurt Was A Thing" in stores, we used to make it to make Tzatziki. If there's a sale on high-quality yogurt, you can thicken your own the same way.

Layer a colander with a few layers of cheesecloth. Pour some yogurt in. Tie up the cheesecloth if you like. Leave the colander over a bowl to catch the whey. Leave it for several hours. You can squeeze it a bit if you like.

Go ahead and make a bunch. Use some on your oatmeal, and take some more and mix with shredded cucumber and a lot of garlic, some olive oil, and a little lemon juice and let that sit in the fridge for a day for a tasty treat.

• 1113pr
    1113pr Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal, but to my oatmeal I add a big scoop of crunchy peanut butter( for protein) and a dash of cinnamon yummy
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    I like to make a big batch of steel cut oats at the beginning of the week and then reheat one-serving portions in the microwave as needed.

I will not eat oatmeal and fruit alone, but instead pair it with a good source of protein.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I love staying at Hilton hotels because of the oatmeal at the complementary breakfast! When I was in Florida in December I would get 2 cups worth, then keep in the fridge for the evening because I have oats at dinner. My favorite way is with peanut butter, but I use sugar free powdered pb. Sometimes I want them plain with a bit of salt and monk fruit.
  • perryc05
    perryc05 Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    Oats are incredible. I have largely changed over to steel cut oats cooked in a pressure or rice cooker as my favourite way to have porridge. I use rolled oats as the binder/cereal component in all my minced meat preperations like meatloaf, risoles, breakfast sausage patties and frikadeller.
  • TracyL963
    TracyL963 Posts: 70 Member
    edited January 30
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    I like to make a big batch of steel cut oats at the beginning of the week and then reheat one-serving portions in the microwave as needed.

I will not eat oatmeal and fruit alone, but instead pair it with a good source of protein.

I make a batch of steel cut oats with chopped apples in a crockpot. I use a milk/water combo for the added protein. I ladle into a greased "jumbo" muffin tin, top with chopped walnuts and freeze. I store my "oatmeal pops" in a freezer bag to reheat when needed.