exercise calories

Options
Hi all! I don't know if I am allowed to eat my exercise calories. I go to a zumba class 5 times a week, I only add 250 calories for it although i think it's more. I just don't know if I should be still sticking to the 1200 calories for the day or can I eat 1450 calories, can anyone help me please? Jo-Ann

Replies

• Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Use the search function and you will find lots of posts on this!! Good luck
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    Since MFP is set up to give you a deficit in calories already, feel free to eat your exercise cals. if you want.
  • fixeruppper
    fixeruppper Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My group leader says not to take off the exercise calories because like a car we're all learning to put better fuel in our tank and this will make us run better not longer. I think she's right because in the long run we need to learn to eat the right amount of calories. The exercise can be a bonus.
  • roseymacdoo
    roseymacdoo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Marilyn your group leader probably doesn't realise you're eating to a diet plan where a big calorie defitic IS ALREADY BUILT IN to your daily allowance!

sorry for shouting but....

ON MFP IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!!

Rosey x
  • cockneypaul
    cockneypaul Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I do if i want to, also dont forget metabolic rate is increased with exercise so you will burn more than your daily allowance anyway, just don't go silly. Good luck x
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    sorry for shouting but....

ON MFP IT'S REALLY IMPORTANT TO EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!!!!

Rosey x

The debate about whether you do or don't eat back your exercise calories is endless. It's down to personal choice and what works for the individual.
  • mdickenson
    Options
    After exercising, your body will need to refuel so to speak. The best thing to eat is high-quality, low-cal protein. I opt for whey protein shake. It helps with hunger, is only 120 cals/serving which would be less than your exercise, and replaces spent protein. Women do not get enough protein in their diet. After 30 years of age, muscle break-down rates for women is astonishing. Eat your protein girls.
  • prettybrwn
    prettybrwn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I LEARNED BEING A MEMEBER OF WEIGHT WATCHERS ALONG TIME AGO WEIGHT LOSS IS A GREATER SUCCESS IF YOU DO NOT EAT THEM THE HARD WAY BUT YOU ARE ALLOWED T COUNT THEM IF YOU CHOOSE. I HAVE TO BREAK EVEN SEVERAL TIMES FOR SPECAIL DINING OUT
  • Strider56
    Strider56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think that if you are losing weight by eating your exercise calories and that works for you then that is great. If you are reaching a plateau and need a boost to break through it, then not eating your exercise calories is acceptable.

Obviously the variable which might need adjusting will be based on the type of exercise program you are participating in. For example, if you are doing crossfit (or other serious strenuous activity) for an hour, you should consider feeding your body after your exercise. However, taking an hour walk even at 4mph doesn't really require any additional fuel.

Figure out what is best for you and be safe.
  • joeysmyth
    joeysmyth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the posts I didn't realise you had all posted back, thank you all again.