Iron deficiency

Options
Hi, I have been recently told that my blood test shows an iron deficiency, I am not anemic but I have low enough iron that I have had dizzy spells, fatigue, tingling feeling in hands and arms, headaches, lack of energy, hair loss and find it very difficult to concentration, when I do have to concentrate or focus it makes my brain really tired. I have been given iron tablets and will be revisiting the doctor next week to investigate why they are so low. My question is really, has anyone had similar experiences and what has helped. I eat lots of leafy green veggies and fish, chicken and dried fruit, fruit, nuts etc. I'm desperate to get back to work and feel able to at least go for a walk but really worried about putting more strain on my slightly feeble body.
Thank you for taking time to read this and any help is really appreciated.

Replies

• Goonygugu
    Options
    Make sure you take you iron tabs - I take them all the time and they have really helped me.

I also eat more lean red meat and things like chicken livers every now and then to help as well.
  • suz74
    suz74 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    maybe you should look at taking a iron supplement tablet

I take them all the time and they have really helped me.

Thanks, i've been started on these by the doctor but when things get under control then I think taking continuing to take a supplement will be useful.
  • haileemou
    Options
    I have exactly the same, i cant absorb the iron tablets either! I have no answers to it! Just take the iron in high doses with vitC
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I have severe anemia and have to take an iron supplement every day. I eat enough red meat and such, but my body simply doesn't absorb the iron. Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • naomirog
    naomirog Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I was told i was anemic a few years ago, i just took the tablets and also ate spinach with EVERYTHING it's realy high in iron and i was feeling sooo much better within a few weeks!

Like you said, eat plenty of greens and you'll start feeling better before you know it!! :)
  • suz74
    Options
    I have exactly the same, i cant absorb the iron tablets either! I have no answers to it! Just take the iron in high doses with vitC

Thank you, will wash down the pills with some fresh orange juice! Will also go get some stocks of vit c to boost my intake too :smile:
  • PBJunkie
    Options

Taking iron in high doses is toxic, also an excessive amount of iron causes a deficiency in zinc.
  • butterflychick
    Options
    hi there i also have iron defiency 33/300 at the moment my lowest has been 10/300 but im also not animeic was first off but not now but i do manage to get daily walksusually five days a week with my husband or go on my wii step i think to myself well im tired all the time anyway so i may aswell just go for it i also eat greens not alot of nuts and i dont eat alot of meat although doc says thats not causing mine im suppose to take 3 of the tablets but can only just manage 2 of them as i feel really really sick if i take the 3 i do hope you manage to find you can mamage a little walk i always feel tired afterwards but glad that i have done it,im also only 10weeks post op from a knee arthoscopy but i have found by keeping a little active the whole time and bulid myself up bit by bit it as really helping recovery and strengen me, so i think just try it a little bit by bit :)
  • skinco
    Options
    I have the same thing! Tingly feet/arms, dizzy, major fatigue. I have been poked and prodded by all sorts of doctors to no avail. I have not found anything that works including changes to diet and supplements. I will check back on your replies in hopes of finding an answer. Thanks for bringing this issue to light!
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Swallow ;)
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd give the tablets a miss unless the doctor says they are essential, Iron tablets on a calorie restricted diet might cause frightful constipation, there are some really good liquid herbal iron supplements available in Australia but I'm sure you can probably get them globally, floravital or floradix were both used by my wife with good results. Vitamin B12 and folic acid might also help your blood count. If you don't eat a lot of meat and greens I'd grab a supplement containing both, there are plenty of women's preparations about containing these.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I have this on and off too... I try and eat more red meat, spinach, leafy greens and just take the tablets the prescribe...just try and get more iron in your diet and have it with vit C to help absorb.
  • suz74
    Options
    hi there i also have iron defiency 33/300 at the moment my lowest has been 10/300 but im also not animeic was first off but not now but i do manage to get daily walksusually five days a week with my husband or go on my wii step i think to myself well im tired all the time anyway so i may aswell just go for it i also eat greens not alot of nuts and i dont eat alot of meat although doc says thats not causing mine im suppose to take 3 of the tablets but can only just manage 2 of them as i feel really really sick if i take the 3 i do hope you manage to find you can mamage a little walk i always feel tired afterwards but glad that i have done it,im also only 10weeks post op from a knee arthoscopy but i have found by keeping a little active the whole time and bulid myself up bit by bit it as really helping recovery and strengen me, so i think just try it a little bit by bit :)

Thank you for replying with this, I will try it a little bit by bit as you suggest and see how I get on. I think I'm just feeling frustrated having gone from pretty intensive exercise at least 5 times a week to managing nothing! I will get there, thank you for the encouragement and good luck with your recovery.
  • katya73
    katya73 Posts: 464
    Options
    Hi there .. I am actually anemic and have a very low hemoglobin .. So yupp I am iron deficient .. I am on iron tablets and regularly have to go into hospital to have iron IV anyways ... I won't give up exercise even tho it's soo tiring ... If you can.. A wee little rest during the day helps .. I eat high protien foods .. Red meat, tuna and loads of greens .. I find this helpful !
  • suz74
    Options
    I'd give the tablets a miss unless the doctor says they are essential, Iron tablets on a calorie restricted diet might cause frightful constipation, there are some really good herbal iron supplements available in Australia but I'm sure you can probably get them globally, floravital or floradix were both used by my wife with good results. Vitamin B12 and folic acid might also help your blood count. If you don't eat a lot of meat and greens I'd grab a supplement containing both, there are plenty of women's preparations about containing these.

Unfortunately i've been told they are essential as am dangerously low. I took some Floradix post pregnancy before, so thanks for the reminder as I couldn't remember what it was called. I will ask doc to tell me when she feels I could shift to this as definitely nicer to the body than the tablets. I'm now at maintainance so hoping the constipation isn't too horrific! Thank you will make not of the natural remedies, I'm low in folate as well so will do as you say for that too.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    @suz74 - I think working with your health care provider is the right thing to do - in addition to eating healthy. You may need some blood work to find out why you cannot hang on to your iron.

Clearly the best source of iron is from a natural source. However, if you do need to take iron supplements when directed by your health care provider, you should be aware that you may get constipated. THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVISE BUT SUGGESTIONS. Prunes would be one way to consider counteracting that, as is stool softeners such as docusate.

@everyone else - if you are taking iron and calcium, make sure you don't take them together. There is data to support them competing in the absorbtion of each other. - You may also want to consider taking Vitamin C with the iron as it will enhance the absorbtion.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed as anaemic last year, and the most noticeable symptom was hair loss, and craving spinach and greens.
    So I'm surprised that with all your symptoms that your doctor said you're not...

My doctor told me to take high-strength (200mg) iron tablets - initially I just finished one packet of of a 100 tabs.
    Then didn't take them again for a couple of months, but then I noticed my cravings coming back.... so I started taking them again.

I have recently discovered that it's best to take them with Vitamin C so that it can be absorbed better.
  • bzmommie
    bzmommie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am passing this onto my friend who just found out that she is Iron deficent and anemic. Her iron was a 4 in the hospital and her blood was below 8. She is asking all the same questions that you all are here. I will keep watching to see what else you all post.
    Thanks
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait!!!! Before you start taking extra iron and vitamin C to boost the absorbtion you need to know about a disease known as hemochromatosis. The only way to test for the disease is a genetic screening where they take a sample of your blood and screen it genetically to see if you are positive for the specific gene as a carrier or as having the disease or both. Please, please don't take anything until your doctor tests you for this. A regular blood test may show you as anemic but you could still have the disease. What it boils down to is that your body could be very efficient at absorbing iron. It will then store the excess iron in your organs and joints, causing fatigue, achey joints, renal and heart failure, immune system problems, symptoms of arthritis and so on and so forth. It is extremely common but very uncommonly diagnosed. My whole family suffers from it. Please if you haven't already, get the genetic screening. I haven't looked at your profile but if you are a female, of menstruating age, that small amount of a blood loss each month may keep the blood iron levels from being elevated and may even show low. And google the disease. You will find lots of information. In Canada there is a society whose mandate it is to help others with the disease and teach them how to manage it.
  • suz74
    Options
    I was diagnosed as anaemic last year, and the most noticeable symptom was hair loss, so I'm surprised that with all your symptoms that your doctor said you're not...

My doctor told me to take high-strength (200mg) iron tablets - initially I took them on their own and have recently discovered that it's best to take them with Vitamin C so that it can be absorbed better.

I will explore it further will her when I go back next week, I've got the 200mg (3 a day) as well but will be stocking up on the vit c to help now, thank you